792 replies to this topic

#81 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

While most of the cast is good, I'd like to single out Peter Mensah as "Doctore". He's got a Yul Brynner thing going on.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#82 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:17 AM

I got the first two episodes at the Starz website and I was rather glad I took the time to watch it. Grant it, some of the slow motion effects didn't work but in a few instances I thought it did. I am glad to see that Starz is taking this gamble, good or bad. I would rather have this show to watch than not to have it. Now, if only only HBO, Showtime or Starz would do a sword & sorcery show that is true to the roots of the genre.
MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter
Email: michael_mikos@yahoo.com

#83 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

I'd love a Rome esque Bran Mak Morn!
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#84 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:28 AM

That would be awesome Monk... I think any of those studios could do a very good Kull, Brak Mak Morn or any of REH's stories. I think they out to do a "Robert E. Howard presents"... Could do a single episode of a story or a multi-part series, depending on the story itself. Its a shame with as much creative talent that we have here on the Conan forum that some of us don't collaborate and try to propose media ideas to CPI.
MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter

#85 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

Well, watched the first three episodes. Episode one wasn't all that good, but a friend convinced me to move on to the next one, and the second episode was a huge improvement. Funny how, when they shifted the focus away from constant ridiculous blood-filled battle scenes to actual dialogue and plot, things got more watchable. So far, the toned-down 300-style blood effects have only helped the series, and the "shocking" features are no longer gratuitous. The best feature: the main character isn't perfect or larger-than-life at this point, he makes mistakes and learns from 'em. If they keep the show along these lines, I'll keep on watching.
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#86 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

That would be awesome Monk... I think any of those studios could do a very good Kull, Brak Mak Morn or any of REH's stories. I think they out to do a "Robert E. Howard presents"... Could do a single episode of a story or a multi-part series, depending on the story itself. Its a shame with as much creative talent that we have here on the Conan forum that some of us don't collaborate and try to propose media ideas to CPI.

I'm seriously game. Been toying with either developing a project for Zuda or something else. Clearly, when it comes to the moving image, we can't trust the teams pitching stuff now.

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#87 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

Agreed Monk... Perhaps we can collaborate and get a few others from the creative pool here at the forum to get involved. I know Fox has a contest every year for a TV show pitch.
MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter

#88 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Watched episode 2 last night! Loved it! I hope it continues!
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#89 BloodNGore

BloodNGore

VEHEMENT VAGABOND

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

I watched the 1st 2 eps, but duz any1 kno where i can watch ep 3, online of course?
I am no longer sane,
far too much horror burns away the brain.

#90 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

Dont compare this to HBO's Rome and diss it. I have seen documentaries on Gladiators in Rome days and they have captured the feel,history of it really well.

I dig the great action that isnt slow-mo in every move any-more,the music,the surprising good acting,the visuals that makes the scenes look very good. Doesnt look CGI fake any-more when you are used to it.

I'm really surprised by this I expected to be only action and crap story. The story is compelling. They capture Capua well.

Some of the lines sound very REH like hehe.

Edited by Libaax, 12 February 2010 - 09:36 AM.

#91 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

The dialog between the characters is getting interesting IMO. I remember how "Deadwood" developed a unique style of spoken dialog that was part Old West redneck, part Shakespeare, part anachronistic profanity. It seems to me over the last couple of shows that "Spartacus" is going the same route with a mix of classical sword and sandal speak with a David Mamet spin and a bit of the Bard stirred with a dash of their pseudo-Roman profanity. Going for a unique style is a hopeful sign that the producers want to do something with the show beyond sword swinging and sex. We'll see.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#92 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

Well I learned what a merkin is today thanks to this show!! :D
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#93 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

The dialog between the characters is getting interesting IMO. I remember how "Deadwood" developed a unique style of spoken dialog that was part Old West redneck, part Shakespeare, part anachronistic profanity. It seems to me over the last couple of shows that "Spartacus" is going the same route with a mix of classical sword and sandal speak with a David Mamet spin and a bit of the Bard stirred with a dash of their pseudo-Roman profanity. Going for a unique style is a hopeful sign that the producers want to do something with the show beyond sword swinging and sex. We'll see.

Pseudo-Roman swearing is no problem for me, i just imagine them swearing in their real language of that time. Not like they spoke english on those days. They are human,violent men it would be fake if they didnt swear.

Yeah i agree the dialog is getting interesting,not as predictable as first.

Also nice surprise how humbled Spartacus was in his fight in ep 3. I thought they would make it easy,predictable for him.

Crixus i read in this topic was historically important which i didnt know so i assumed he would lose in Primus.

#94 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:24 AM

it needs more cow bells.

#95 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:32 AM

Needs more sex and violence.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#96 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:01 AM

Watched Episode 4: "The Thing in the Pit." To my mind, the most visceral and powerful episode yet. It grabbed you from the beginning and never let go. The writers definitely seem to be getting a grip on the direction and style of the series. Spartacus's progression toward rebel leader will be slow and sure and bloody. I am beginning to respect the sheer audacity of this show. The producers and the writers seem determined upon a path without any artistic boundaries. This show kicks down the doors to levels of violence and adult situations against which previous shows have only knocked.

I am beginning to really enjoy "Spartacus's" unique style of dialog. Inaccurate and stilted it may be, but it gives the lines a colorful and engaging flow. I am reminded of how after reading a couple of Patrick O'Brien novels I found myself speaking like a Napoleonic Era sailor. I can hear myself speaking Spartacusinee before too long. Instead of saying "KIl the umpire!" I will now say, "It is of an ending to this foul and sightless (insert four letter word of choice) that I would speak!"

Powerful story tonight as Spartacus literally descends into the pits of hell and the most brutal fights I have ever seen in a TV show (or most feature films for that matter). Andy Whitfield is gaining more and more statue and gravitas with each episode. John Hannah continues to impress as the old pro teaching the rookie actors how it's done. Got to hand it to the writers, I did not foresee tonight's ending. I kept thinking, "How the heck does Spartacus get out of this?" Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but a real treat for fans of overheated sword and sandal flicks.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#97 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

I shall look forward to that episode on Monday.:)
Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#98 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

Powerful story tonight as Spartacus literally descends into the pits of hell and the most brutal fights I have ever seen in a TV show (or most feature films for that matter). Andy Whitfield is gaining more and more statue and gravitas with each episode. John Hannah continues to impress as the old pro teaching the rookie actors how it's done. Got to hand it to the writers, I did not foresee tonight's ending. I kept thinking, "How the heck does Spartacus get out of this?" Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but a real treat for fans of overheated sword and sandal flicks.

I whole heartidly agree. Last night's episode had some of the most extreme hardcore violence I've ever seen in a film of this sort, like what I would imagine a REH story would could look like if literally adapted for the screen. I noticed they took somewhat of a break from the usual slo-mo and CGI arterial sprays for a darker and more realistic look. Every episode brings something new and refreshing, and digs deeper into the development of the characters as well. I think this show is a lot more than a one-note 300 rip-off, as the premiere episode seemed to suggest.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#99 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

4th episode was my favorite so far - it felt like a Gary Kwapisz issue of SSOC brought to life.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#100 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

I also enjoyed this ep most so far. Not only because it was most brutal action scenes so far. Spartacus descent to the pits was so emotionally strong,you felt for the poor guy guy losing his mind,body to fights.

Whitefield and Jonh Hannah are impressive and so is the black Gladiator trainer. Dont know the actor's name.

This show should be a hit among sword fights fans and sandal flicks. Thats most adult male that like adventure,action.

I also like the title of the eps.

"The Thing in the Pit." sound like a S&S story from the fantasy pulp days ;)

Edited by Libaax, 14 February 2010 - 11:56 AM.