WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

in the first season of spartacus we've seen gaety that looked like Uruk-hai
a pair of werevolves (the Gargan twins) & an albino giant

i guess it's pretty much Historical Fantasy

Werewolves ? I dont remember werewolf in the first season? Albino Giant isnt that hard to believe. There are longer people than that guy in NBA and there are albinos

Of course its historical fantasy most because they fight without any defense in their sword fights. They go through Roman soldeirs who are so tame that they cant even touch Spartacus even when they are 4-5 versus one of him.

#703 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

the gargan twins were the animalistic gladiators that cryxus killed in a flashback
narated by Varro (ep 3 or 4 of season 1)

they were realy werevolves like
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#704 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

it was cool to see some of the new weapons ashur's crew were rocking. but seriously, maybe now that i am watching this in high def, having the gladiators using hair gel is kind of bad, they are already kind of being kitted out like 300, the super slo mo and blood...
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#705 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

lol this may be the kid in me coming out, but that season finale was the best thing ive seen on cable tv!! no holds barred anyone can go, though it doesnt follow the recorded history to a t, it was damn entertaining, with plenty of emotional depth. my jaw was on the floor for most of it,I'm still trying to pry it in place!!!On to season 2 of game of thrones!!!!

#706 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

only thing i will say about the finale :

Crom is pleased

#707 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

That was a great finale!

Spoiler

Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#708 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

i thought that was one hell of a season ender.

it had a lot of W T F moments, and although I was sad to see some go, they didn't botch it like Boba Fett or Mace Windu's going out so for that I give them major props. Nobody went out like a word for a cute cat.

i do wish they would put on some more clothes for the gladiators lmao. i'm sure they kitted themselves out with as much roman gear and armor as they could get their hands on. after the season ender the producer was on saying season three is going to be a lot more!

Edited by monk, 01 April 2012 - 12:08 AM.

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#709 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Final episode was one hell of a show. Though in the season's end I must say I wasn't pleased with McIntyre as Spartacus. Maybe it is not his fault, but it was due to the direction given to him (much like Momoa in Conan).

#710 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Wow scorching final episode of Spartacus:Vengeance! Sad to see yet more of the cast gone , some deservedly , some suprisingly , some sadly ! For those in the UK Sky are starting Series 1 again next week - time to see how it all began ! Now onto Game of Thrones !

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#711 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

I do wish they would put on some more clothes for the gladiators lmao. i'm sure they kitted themselves out with as much roman gear and armor as they could get their hands on. after the season ender the producer was on saying season three is going to be a lot more!

Well, I'm not surprised about the clothes, but they would not have stood long without shields and armor. :)

#712 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

it was just getting to be a bit beefcake and less gladiatorial. there is a reason i get vic secret catalogues and not international male lmao.

#713 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

Don't know why I didn't bring this up before, but Ashur's seemingly mute "Egyptian" looked and moved in much the way I envision Conan. He is very tall and has a muscular but lean and rangy build. Best of all, he moves like a born fighter. I wish we could have seen more of him.

#714 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Very moving piece on Andy from today's Mail

http://www.dailymail...ath-cancer.html

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#715 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Posted Image

As some of you know, the Spartacus TV series on STARZ will begin its third and final season in late January of next year. I'm a fan of the show, though I have thought the writers go over the top every now and then with the sex and violence. One thing you can't fault the series on is the stunning quality of the fights. The show has featured some of the finest sword duels I have seen anywhere. Nothing in the recent Conan film matched the Season Two arena bloodfest in a circle of fire. The show is also noted for its ersatz Roman dialog that showrunner Stephen DeNight has described as a mixture of Shakespeare and Robert E. Howard. We'll never see it, but a Conan cable series helmed by DeNight would be something to see. Sigh.

The last season will focus on the battle of wits and just plain battles between the slave army of Spartacus and the Roman general Marcus Licinius Crassus (played by Lawrence Olivier in the Kubrick film). A young Julius Caesar will also be featured.

It's something of a surprise that STARZ is pulling the plug on what is one of their most popular shows. It appears to be ending prior to the five to seven year run the producers first envisioned. A lot of the usual excuses about ending the series on a high note have been offered. I expect the real reason will eventually come out somewhere down the road. Personally, I believe the series lost some of its appeal when its original lead Andy Whitfield succumbed to cancer, although Liam McIntyre has been a serviceable replacement. Whitfield had the kind of charisma the big stars build careers upon. Damn shame.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#716 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

I think you're right that relatively quick end had to do with Andy. It was a gut punch for those of us watching it from a distance, let alone those that worked with him and saw him fight so hard only to lose in the end. The emotional toll cast a bit of a pall over the season. Under those conditions, I really can't criticize McIntyre. He did as fine of a job anyone could do under the circumstances. I just picked up the Blu-ray, but will hold off rewatching it until early January to get a good build up for the finale.

#717 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

they've killed off so much of the main characters
it was fated to end ealry

#718 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

I was recently given the 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand' and 'Spartacus: Gods of the Arena' sets on dvd. Reading the back of GotA, it says that it's a prequel to BaS, so will I be lost if I start with that? Or should I just begin with season 1 and then watch the prequel? I'm hesitant to read through this topic as I don't wish to spoil anything.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#719 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hey, OA!

Start with the prequel. It sets up season one nicely. You'll wonder what happened to a major character when you watch season one, but he will be back in season two.

#720 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Posted Image

I was thinking that I may have dissed Liam McIntyre in an earlier post. They guy stepped up to the plate at a very tough, emotional time on the show as johnnypt pointed out earlier. He did a fine job. He looks suitably badass in the pic above.

I was thinking about that Spartacus Season 3 (counting the prequel) finale and remembering how outraged the general public was over Sean Bean's untimely demise in "Game of Thrones," For all his notoriety for killing off major characters, GRR Martin is a nickel and dimer compared to Steven DeKnight. By my count six MAJOR characters (several of whom were the very core of the show) were waxed in that season finale and several lesser but featured players. It has to be a series world record for character homicide. Josef Stalin would have probably thought DeKnight a bit heartless.

Looking over the teaser trailer for the final season, the scope looks immense for a TV show. Much has been said about the modest production values for Spartacus, with minimal indoor sets and lots of CGI backgrounds. But the show has steadily improved in that department. Last year opened things up quite a bit. The CGI battlefields revealed in the trailer look impressive. I've always believed if you want to display the haunting grandeur of REH's worlds, CGI is the best way to go. The creative team behind the new Conan flick would do well to take a close look at Spartacus for some inspiration.

Edited by crossplain pilgrim, 25 November 2012 - 09:00 PM.