46 replies to this topic

#1 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

I'm a huge REH fan, and kept him in mind while writing my weird western anthology Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter.

Set in 1879, it follows a Hasidic gunslinger tracking the renegade teacher who betrayed his mystic order across a demon-haunted Arizona Territory. Along the way the Rider encounters a cult of Molech worshipers, a possessed gunman, a bordello of antedeluvian succubi and a ju ju man REH readers may recognize.

Part Jonah Hex, part Kung Fu, with a little bit of Howard and Lovecraft. It's out now in Kindle and print on Amazon from Damnation Books.

http://www.amazon.co...63493047&sr=8-1

'This is one of those books that suck you in from page one! Damnation Books have been hit or miss. Merkabah Rider is definitely a bull’s-eye, dead-on, brain-busting hit. Mr. Erdelac’s skill as a historian, researcher, and writer all shine in this novel. It’s not often that I gush over books, but I have no problem doing it with this one. The attention to detail, historical and religious, is phenomenal.' - SWAMP DWELLER BOOK REVIEW

Edited by EM Erdelac, 14 January 2010 - 07:19 PM.

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

Here's a review by the very cool "Weird Western Emporium" site:

http://weirdwestempo...igh-planes.html

Merkabah Rider kicks ass. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:49 AM

The Cimmerian had something to say about Merkabah Rider as well:

http://www.thecimmer...me-weird-tales/

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#4 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

Ron Fortier of Pulp Fiction Reviews gives Merkabah Rider a big thumbs up:

http://pulpfictionre...abah-rider.html

#5 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:44 AM

Merkabah Rider was also mentioned on Somebody Dies: http://somebodydies....igh-planes.html

http://somebodydies....no-name-by.html
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#6 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

Merkabah Rider was also mentioned on Somebody Dies: http://somebodydies....igh-planes.html

http://somebodydies....no-name-by.html

Belated thanks for posting these, guys. Book 3, Have Glyphs Will Travel is in edits right now.

Edited by EM Erdelac, 01 September 2011 - 02:20 AM.

#7 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

You are the author ? I thought a fan made this thread for the book/series. Its a little weird known authors in the genres you read are members here. I thought it was only Scott Oden, JMR.

A fellow SFF fan recommend the first book to me a month or so ago. It does sound pretty cool weird western specially when the reader who i know well said it had awesome action.

Edited by Libaax, 01 September 2011 - 07:04 PM.

#8 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

Somehow I must have missed this thread. It sounds like a VERY inviting read!
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#9 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

Somehow I must have missed this thread. It sounds like a VERY inviting read!

We toldja all about it on the TC blog. ;)

#10 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

Must've been dozing!
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#11 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:24 AM

Must've been dozing!

How d'you think I feel? It took me sixth months to read Deuce's gracious plugs!

Yep, I'm the author - hard at work on book four. The character will also be popping up in a one off story called The Shomer Express in Pill Hill's The Trigger Reflex anthology in October.

#12 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

Must've been dozing!

Yep, I'm the author - hard at work on book four. The character will also be popping up in a one off story called The Shomer Express in Pill Hill's The Trigger Reflex anthology in October.

Gongratz to you for having your work published and have a following. In Goodreads i see many of my friends rating the novel highly. Its always nice to see REH fans becoming writers, people being inspired by great writers like REH.

I tried to find the first book in the library but i will order it from bookdespositry and i look forward to reading it. Its sounds too werid, cool.

When you said Jonah Hex in the first post i smiled because thats one of my fav western anti-heroes,series in any medium. By the way is there some Clint Eastwood western inspiration to your series ? The title of the first book made me think of that Clint Eastwood film first before you read the synopsis.

#13 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

Must've been dozing!

Gongratz to you for having your work published and have a following. In Goodreads i see many of my friends rating the novel highly. Its always nice to see REH fans becoming writers, people being inspired by great writers like REH.

I tried to find the first book in the library but i will order it from bookdespositry and i look forward to reading it. Its sounds too werid, cool.

When you said Jonah Hex in the first post i smiled because thats one of my fav western anti-heroes,series in any medium. By the way is there some Clint Eastwood western inspiration to your series ? The title of the first book made me think of that Clint Eastwood film first before you read the synopsis.

Definitely - especially the Man With No Name movies. The Good The Bad And The Ugly was the movie that re-introduced me to the western at about the age of 15 or so. There's a character in the first book modeled directly after Gian Maria Volonte from the Dollar movies. He's even partly named after one of the spaghetti western actors, Claudio Scarchilli.

And yeah, the play on High Plains Drifter, obviously. I'm a big fan of that one as well.

Edited by EM Erdelac, 04 September 2011 - 01:19 AM.

#14 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

Must've been dozing!

Definitely - especially the Man With No Name movies. The Good The Bad And The Ugly was the movie that re-introduced me to the western at about the age of 15 or so. There's a character in the first book modeled directly after Gian Maria Volonte from the Dollar movies. He's even partly named after one of the spaghetti western actors, Claudio Scarchilli.

And yeah, the play on High Plains Drifter, obviously. I'm a big fan of that one as well.

Hehe and when i saw The Mensch With No Name as the second books title i laughed and thought my first question about Eastwood westerns in your work was stupid in hindsight :)

Anyway i ordered Tales of a High Planes Drifter online last night and hope to read it as soon i get it. Will be interesting to read the short stories series format. Most of my fav character series is short stories in SF,fantasy,adventure. Howard, Vance etc

Im a big fan of Spagetti westerns too mostly thanks to Sergio Leone's films that is among my alltime favs. Eastwood is huge fav because of those films. Traditional western look pale in comparison with Leone/Eastwood/Morricone.

Edited by Libaax, 04 September 2011 - 06:58 AM.

#15 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

Must've been dozing!

Hehe and when i saw The Mensch With No Name as the second books title i laughed and thought my first question about Eastwood westerns in your work was stupid in hindsight :)

Anyway i ordered Tales of a High Planes Drifter online last night and hope to read it as soon i get it. Will be interesting to read the short stories series format. Most of my fav character series is short stories in SF,fantasy,adventure. Howard, Vance etc

Im a big fan of Spagetti westerns too mostly thanks to Sergio Leone's films that is among my alltime favs. Eastwood is huge fav because of those films. Traditional western look pale in comparison with Leone/Eastwood/Morricone.

There are some great traditional (or American made) westerns out there too, but yeah - I didn't personally find them until I went through Leone and Corbucci.

Thanks for picking up the book - hope you enjoy it.

#16 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:58 AM

Book 3, Have Glyphs Will Travel is now out in Kindle. Paperback sometime next week.

http://www.amazon.co...22538995&sr=8-5

Also Ron Fortier has put up his review for book two, The Mensch With No Name -

http://www.newpulpfi...abah-rider.html

#17 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Good to know book 3 is coming out so soon. I have only read the first awesome book so far.

Whats this have you written a straight western ?

#18 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

Yeah that's Buff Tea. It's a coming of age story about a kid who works his way west on the railroad in 1874 and jumps ship to join up with a buffalo hunting outfit led by an ex-buffalo soldier and a tough old plainsman. The kid hopes to write a book on his experiences and winds up getting way more than he bargained for when a Cheyenne Dog Soldier with a grudge from the old boss' past returns.

Texas Review Press - no ebook formats as yet, but I hear it's coming.

http://www.amazon.co...22805678&sr=8-1

Thanks for the opportunity to plug, Mohammed. :)

#19 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

Nice to see you publishing more im selfishly loyal to writers i find good to read :) I want to see more books out there.

This straight western i will order when i order Merkabah Rider book 2 as my fall term is over soon.

Im a big western fan and i have to support modern authors in the field and not just old greats.

Edited by Libaax, 02 December 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#20 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

I appreciate it, man!