• Please log in to reply
2125 replies to this topic

#1 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:21 AM

The news was broke on the The New Conan Film topic but news this big deserves it's own topic:

Jason Momoa tapped for 'Conan the Barbarian'

Posted Image

Congrats to Jason - what a big day this is for him. I'm glad a decision has been made - finally!

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#2 RJ Hiengler

RJ Hiengler

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:03 AM

Is this news "confirmed confirmed" officially? or is it still just doing the rounds on film sites?

I mean we all remember the "Hot Lips" McLaren debacle :D
"To remake the movies ... see them projected before you ... and to cash in on the lamentation of the fans."
"Crom... grant me one request. A decent CONAN movie. And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

The people and fans have spoken and want me to play Conan because I am the right man for the job. I look the part and act the part. That's why right now I have ten of thousands of people across the world excited to see me in the role. I don't need the attention I had my own show on primetime and have several movies and shows currently being pitched to me, and have been on the front page of several newspapers google "new role for ex-marine". I'm an Iraq War Vet, and a former Blackwater Guard of President George W. Bush and a real fighter so nobody's smacking me in the face thats crazy talk. I'm a one in a billion actor and am training in sword fighting and immersed in R.E.H's vision of Conan. - "Hotlips" M (2009)

#3 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:15 AM

Yeah...congradulations. This is what REH fans have been waiting and entire generation for:

Posted Image

...what a joke. <_<
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#4 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:27 AM

Yeah...congradulations. This is what REH fans have been waiting and entire generation for:

Posted Image

...what a joke. <_<

that's a kick in the balls.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#5 only looking

only looking

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

Posted Image

...what a joke. <_<

Agreed...what the hell!!! I didn't expect they'd get someone like him to play Conan. Nothing against the actor, but he's the wrong nationality and has the wrong look. I thought they were going for the lighter skinned/slightly tanned rugged and built..but not overly done, blue eyes and black mop top haircut. COME ON!!! I Fing hate Hollywood!!! Rather they have someone like the guy who played the last Punisher more than Jason. I WONT GO SEE THE MOVIE..I know it's early but I'm telling you...It ain't gonna cut it! Plus I wanted blood,guts and boobs....Conan style..not this crap. Sorry to go on a rampage..just very pissed!!!

#6 RJ Hiengler

RJ Hiengler

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:48 AM

...what a joke. <_<

Agreed...what the hell!!! I didn't expect they'd get someone like him to play Conan. Nothing against the actor, but he's the wrong nationality and has the wrong look. I thought they were going for the lighter skinned/slightly tanned rugged and built..but not overly done, blue eyes and black mop top haircut. COME ON!!! I Fing hate Hollywood!!! Rather they have someone like the guy who played the last Punisher more than Jason. I WONT GO SEE THE MOVIE..I know it's early but I'm telling you...It ain't gonna cut it! Plus I wanted blood,guts and boobs....Conan style..not this crap. Sorry to go on a rampage..just very pissed!!!

I don't know guys that scar Dominic Bando gave him he may actually look rugged????

Ha who am I kidding :lol:

Guess they're going with the blue contacts afterall.
"To remake the movies ... see them projected before you ... and to cash in on the lamentation of the fans."
"Crom... grant me one request. A decent CONAN movie. And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

The people and fans have spoken and want me to play Conan because I am the right man for the job. I look the part and act the part. That's why right now I have ten of thousands of people across the world excited to see me in the role. I don't need the attention I had my own show on primetime and have several movies and shows currently being pitched to me, and have been on the front page of several newspapers google "new role for ex-marine". I'm an Iraq War Vet, and a former Blackwater Guard of President George W. Bush and a real fighter so nobody's smacking me in the face thats crazy talk. I'm a one in a billion actor and am training in sword fighting and immersed in R.E.H's vision of Conan. - "Hotlips" M (2009)

#7 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:48 AM

Who's doing the film score, Ziggy Marley?

"Co-non, jamon, him smoka da ganja!"

:blink: :blink: :blink:
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#8 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

Screw this movie. I've had it with the BS that's constantly being pulled and the way one of REH's greatest characters is being raped by a gang of incompetent nincompoops.
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#9 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

The news was broke on the The New Conan Film topic but news this big deserves it's own topic:

Jason Momoa tapped for 'Conan the Barbarian'

Posted Image

Congrats to Jason - what a big day this is for him. I'm glad a decision has been made - finally!

Honestly, I've seen many Stargate episodes but almost none of Stargate atlantis.
I vaguely remembered this Jason Momoa as being this rasta guy... so I started watching a few videos of him on youtube.

Here is my opinion: as a kid when I saw with amazement all these "Savage Sword of Conan" painted covers which STILL remain nowadays unrivaled, even with all of Dark Horse's efforts, I always thought Conan had the LOOKS of some kind of native american, and why not some polynesian (tahitian , hawaian) on some pics. Some other covers had him look more like what Howard meant him to be: a dark haired proto-celt.

Anyways, casting someone with traits like the wrestler Dwayne Johnson aka 'The Rock' could be beneficial, but our buddy Momoa in his actual physical state is very representative of what nowadays Hollywood has become: a heavy REMAKE industry casting male actors for a YOUNG FEMALE PUBLIC.
They don't cast looking for raw power but rather for cuteness, thinking of actors like those starring in TWILIGHT!!

PLEASE, BY CROM, is this a f***ing joke? Twilight is some ridiculous piece of nonsense destined for the EMO community, as plain as that.

Momoa could indeed look like some conans depicted in SSOC but he should do some bulking up , some SERIOUS bulking up with tons of definition and concerning his acting skills, well I don't know enough about him, it will be the 'big surprise'.
Unless they'll use computer assisted gimmicks as in the '300' to make everyone look falsely muscular, even the ones who didn't train hard. NO THANKS if it's that.
Only that his features should look more raw, more "hard hyborian times" not sme soft skinned rasta warrior with a half and half ' abit muscular & tender look to appeal the girls out there, as a new-age character coming straight out of a PRINCE OF PERSIA modern series of games with a 'fashion' hair style...well you see what I mean.

These modern Hollywood castings really make me laugh sometimes.
Of course, Conan is not only a matter of muscles, but hey, a film is a GRAPHIC representation of some writings, so looks count a lot indeed!!
Anyways, with some effective hardening up (it's possible, since Polynesians have a good genetic background to bulk up and harden easily but let's hope the production crew will make that possible!!) and long hair 'add ons' as it was the case with Schwarzenegger, it could be eventually ok but I'm waiting to see that.

-----NOW, the big problem is not Jason Momoa, since I've already said that the physical appearance could be corrected easily. Who knows, he could do a good job after all.

It's rather the film crew and the director....and everything I've been reading about this on IMDB.

-first of all I read on IMDB : "a remake of the 1982 film"
PLEASE, by Crom's beard, there are already some hardcore HOward fans who were displeased with Milius' 1982 version, but a majority of Conan comics AND novels fans still liked this film because of it's dark mood, it's exceptional music score, and the raw impression of seeing some John Buscema excerpts directly from SSOC.
There are even legions of Milius's script fans even though there is much debate about his vision, and anyone reading this Conan forum knows it's true.

But when I read "so and so" casted as CONAN's FATHER, I'm just wondering who will they cast as Conan's MOTHER and THORGRIM etc?
It's plain STUPID .
I'll NEVER go see a 1982 REMAKE that's for sure. And I'm sure almost everyone reading this will approve me:
I thought they were going to make a Conan the Howard way!! If not, when I'd like to see nothing else than the continuity of Conan the BArbarian from 1982 which should have been logically CROWN OF IRON aka Conan 3 by Milius, if not in the authentic Conan optic.
Conclusion: A solid film the Howard way OR a continuity of the first Conan film, NOTHING ELSE PLEASE!!!!!!!NO REMAKES!!

-secondly , I think Dark Horse went the easy way once again with the whole film crew : knowing they already hired in the past BOAZ YAKIN who did memorable works as "dirty dancing II" (it's not a joke lads!! )and other extroardinary epic films as this one.... I'm afraid the new Conan will be a modern Beowulf ( the one with Christophe Lambert), Kull (with Kevin Sorbo) , Red Sonja (1984 version), Conan the Destroyer and many other films like PATHFINDER, ARTHUR, Gladiator etc.
Anyways it's not him but rather MArcus Nispel and that's a big obsatcle for both REH and Milius fans out there.
For me it means we'll see something as this:

-A 1h20-1h30 film
-"pathfinder-esque" type of cinematics LOADED with CGI crap, to impress young people,
- a list of new actors looking as if they were going to attend a Jean Paul Gauthier defilé,
- POOR QUALITY pseudo orchestral score with arrangements and compositions almost unchanged since the 1996 film intitled 'The Rock ' (with Nicolas Cage)...I'm talking about the WAY OVERRATED - HAns Zimmer- and his plethora of amirers / imitators. Yes, You're hearing the same 'tutti' unison chords with exagerated low tuned drums since 'the rock' , in 'gladiator' also and 'king arthur' without mentioning 'pirates of the caribbean' ETC ETC
It's just video game quality music score, but not FILM score to me, no offense.
By the way, 'God of War' OST is very Hans Zimmeresque
Unfortunately Dark Horse waited SO LONG for this film to be started , that the very appreciated and regretted composer Basil Poledouris has passed over a few years ago already. WHAT A WASTE of talent.
Poledouris had THE adequate 'Conan tunes' in his mind, more than any film composer we've heard up to now.
-a hacked scenario typical of EVERYTHING we're used to see nowadays in terms of greek and roman times, and fantasy in general, sacrified to visual gimmicks.

We don't want to see any 300 Conan style, nor another PAthfinder or any King Arthur etc.
We DON'T want to see a 1982 REMAKE that's for sure.

Now IF everyone's serious, let's hope they'll do something Howardian , I mean something dark and grim unlike all this actual Hollywood CGI soup material following an empty script.

HAving seen the trailer for "Clash of the Titans" another pathfinder-king arthur style CGI NONSENSE REMAKE with a bald headed Perseus looking exactly like this character from "God of War" on console...
....Seeing they've casted Rose McGowan as Red Sonja for 2010....

I hope everyone reading this will understand WHY I'm so anxious that it will NOT be a film for real Conan fans whether they be the REH or Milius type.

If one was to write something partially REH style scenario-wise for a third Conan, I'd hire the experienced ROY THOMAS and give him full command !

For the Music, not succumb to the modern trend of boomy nonsense thumping one-riff music and hire someone who'd give the public some EMOTIONS to share as Poledouris did.

And for the actors, to keep in mind that although there are many Arnold "opponants" it's better to have a tough hard looking barbarian than a softy looking Di Caprio style actor. And even though Conan,Conan the Destroyer and Red sonja were not successful to some degree and some may say disastrous for the latter, the casting wasn't bad AT ALL in fact:
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Brigitte Nielsen, James Earl Jones, Sven Ole Thorsen, Grace Jones, MAx Von Sydow.....

CTD looked very cheesy but one cannot say for instance that Grace Jones didn't look like a wild amazon....or that Brigitte Nielsen didn't seem to have strength in RS, etc etc.

#10 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:30 AM

I would like to recall to our members that this casting choice is not "official" (yet?). Neither CPI nor Millenium have made any announcement.

It might be confirmed...or denied. Just saying.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#11 nephron

nephron

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:40 AM

I figured as much. It's like they want us to bitch.

The question now is: What are they going to do next?

How can this get any dumber?

How can this get any further away from Howard?

Now, you may think, "Dude, they've already written Conan as a completely different person with a totally different motivation. The story has nothing to do with any of Howards stories. They've ignored the geographic details of Howard's Hyboria. They've got the Cimmerians getting slaughtered, even though Howard says "They were barbaric and warlike, and were never conquered. Now they've cast a prettyboy Hawaain guy to play a scary Cimmerian. There's no way they could take this any farther away from Howard."

To that, I say: Their hatred of Robert E. Howard and his works is such that they will find a way.

Edited by nephron, 22 January 2010 - 06:41 AM.

#12 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:02 AM

I'm really having some SERIOUS second thoughts now.....

how many times have we read on this Conan.com forum that "Arnold looked stupid" , he "didn't know how to act" , "he didn't have black hair or blue eyes" , "he constantly had a loincloth as in the comics" and BLA BLA BLA

Personally the first time I saw the 1982 CTB I felt upset thinking about the novel but a few moments later,considering the quality of the filming, the Thulsa Doom and Narrator's quotes, the PRESENCE of Arnold alone, the EPIC music, well after all it was indeed a good movie. One has to be realistic sometimes and know that this wil be the BEST Hollywood will ever be and forget about all this "being true to a novel" business.
Hollywood has never been faithful to ANY novel. DOT.

I forgot to talk also about the FIGHTING scenes coached by the VERY TALENTED Kiyoshi Yamazaki. In 1982, we had some QUALITY fighting scenes and our fellow Yamazaki did the best job possible. Not this stoboscopic re-cut and unclear poorly filmed sword scenes as in Gladiator or the ridiculous kung fu awkward moves we've seen in 'Le Pacte des Loups'.
In 1982 they served us a tasty mix of japanese swordfighting mixed with european medieval sword styles.

If Dark Horse really wanted to have a REH style film finally, they would have proposed to an INDEPENDANT film director and producing crew.

Concerning the casting of J. Momoa and comparing it to everything that has been said about Schwarzenegger, well I understand how everyone seems so upset about this 2010 version.
Afetr all Momoa looks more like a PICT than a CIMMERIAN, I mean think of a 'Brule' or any of his pictish friends in a Kull film why not (but I would have chosen a Native American for Brule anyways, huh!! )

And Dwayne Johnson SHOULD have had a role in this 2010 film, perhaps not as Conan, but something decent at least.
He was REALLY worth it.

The day Hollywood will buck up is not yet to come my cimmerian friends!!

If some quotes like "I WON'T EVEN --DOWNLOAD-- THIS FILM WHEN IT'S RELEASED" don't make the hollywood producers tick, well it means everything's going SIDEWAYS in this life.

May SET devour them all.

ps: 1982 Conan The Barbarian will remain a legend and I'm still waiting to see someone who could dethrone our buddy Schwarzenegger, despite all these childish things said about him . Same thing for Poledouris, I didn't hear someone yet who could dare replace him in a third Conan film.

#13 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,971 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:15 AM

Clorox the Cummerbundian. I know if I go to see this film I will cry, and not because I am a sensitive romantic. I will be crying for Robert E. Howard.

Paradox, pull the plug.

Pull the Plug.

Pull the Plug.

Pull the Plug.

Pull the Plug.

Edited by Ironhand, 22 January 2010 - 07:17 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#14 Crom's bells

Crom's bells

Sinewy thews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:51 AM

So, what genre does the movie belong to now? Fantasy? Horror? Or comedy?

#15 War Song

War Song

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

Jason Momoa [...] was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. His father was a Native Hawaiian [...] his mother was of Native American ancestry. Momoa is the nephew of famed surfer Brian Keaulana. On July 23, 2007, Lisa Bonet gave birth to their first child, a girl, named Lola Iolani Momoa. On December 15, 2008 Momoa and Bonet had a son, Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa.

Wow... Hmm... I must admit... When reading Robert E. Howard's stories, I never envisioned Conan the Cimmerian as a rastafarian-locked Hawaiian. Well... This project has been going downhill ever since they hired Donnelly and Oppenheimer to pen the bizarrely off-key script. For Howard fans, I doubt any actor could redeem this film.

Edited by War Song, 22 January 2010 - 09:23 AM.

#16 Xaltotun

Xaltotun

Undead Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

I just found out via WENN news on IMDB.

I...just...can't...believe...it. :huh:

Another part of me died today.

:(

#17 Hollywood Hogan

Hollywood Hogan

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

Posted Image

...what a joke. <_<

This puny runt doesn't have balls, lol.

Rasta Clonana... frickin' sweet. CPI, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Completely ashamed. Who woulda thought that posting on this piece of garbage would have been my 300th post, yarrrr. :angry:

Hollywood

Edited by Hollywood Hogan, 22 January 2010 - 10:49 AM.

At my signal, unleash hell. - General Maximus

#18 Andradir

Andradir

The Mad Batter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

So THAT is the end of Jason's career as an actor?
How sad, I liked him.
One bad decision can ruin an actor's career. Maybe Jason's manager will save him from that depressing experience. I hope so.

#19 monolith

monolith

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

If this is official then Jason has some real work ahead over the next two months prior to filming bulking his frame for the part!

Some intense training indeed! If he can survive that, then good luck to him!!!

Edited by monolith, 22 January 2010 - 11:18 AM.

#20 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

If this is official then Jason has some real work ahead over the next two months prior to filming bulking his frame for the part!

Some intense training indeed! If he can survive that, then good luck to him!!!

Pointless. I've been lifting weights for four years. The amount of "bulking up" one could do in less than 2 months is miniscule.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--