18 replies to this topic

#1 Retro Pulp

Retro Pulp

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

I'd just like to ask if anyone here can post more pics of Novalyne Price Ellis. She was quite the looker in her day and it would be nice to view more pics of her. So far the only ones I've seen are the ones with her sporting a marcelled bob and the other where she looked like a schoolteacher hitting her '40s. Thanks.
"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library." - Frank Zappa

#2 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

There's this one:

Posted Image
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#3 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

There's only two photos of Novalyne I'm aware of, the one Taran posted, and a later one (where she does look like she's, ahem, matured):

Posted Image

She looked rather lovely in the early one. B)

I'd really like to know if there are any more out there too.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#4 Retro Pulp

Retro Pulp

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the replies all. Those are the ones I mentioned. :D Hopefully more pics of her will be posted in the future.
"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library." - Frank Zappa

#5 Carcosa

Carcosa

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:56 AM

There's this one:

Posted Image

I always thought she was a pretty hot babe in this picture....REH had fine taste.

#6 Crom's bells

Crom's bells

Sinewy thews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Indeed my friend. Indeed, a very well endowed lady :)

Come to think about it, she looks a lot like a girl I know. Except she's, well you know, Asian, but the features are somewhat similar.

Edited by Crom's bells, 05 February 2010 - 01:45 PM.

#7 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

This isn't a photo but another terrific book by Novalyne Ellis Price.
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0940884240

This is very hard to find book and costs around $60-200 but the good news is you can read it for free. All you have to do is go to your nearest library and ask for it via an
Interdepartmental Library Loan (ILL). I filled out the form and two weeks later the book was in my hands. It's only 48 pages or so but an excellent book about Novalyne and Robert. There are some great introduction and one by Rusty Burke that are always nice to read.

Thanks to Godzilla (Paul Herman) for letting me know about the ILL otherwise I'd never would have read it. Most hard to find books are available this way. The library puts out tracers to other libraries and borrows the book from them. I believe only a few libraries in the U.S. had this book so I felt very fortunate to be able to read it. I found one on the internet but another member purchased it before I had a chance so Paul mentioned the ILL. I had the pleasure of reading it plus saving about $75.

Posted Image
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#8 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Always wished someone would reprint Day of the Stranger, along with Report on a Writing Man by Tevis Clyde Smith, and other reminiscences by people who knew Howard. Having them all together in one volume, preferably annotated, would be a valuable guide to future Howard biographers.

Back to the subject at hand...

Wouldn't members of Miss Novalyne's family have other pictures of her they could share?

Tex

#9 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Back to the subject at hand...

Right on. B)

Wouldn't members of Miss Novalyne's family have other pictures of her they could share?

Tex

One would think. I haven't really heard much about it, though. A nice project for a Forum member, I reckon. ;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#10 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:07 AM

I was thinking the same thing about family members having pictures of Novalyne and the possibility of some obscure pictures of REH. What about her high school, college, and school where she was teaching pictures? I agree as this would be a nice project especially with a slight chance of finding another picture of REH alongside Novalyne.

I'd like to note a word of caution when searching the web. After I googled Novalyne Price Ellis pictures of I didn't find anything new except I got one virus, a polymorphic mutated virus, and keystroke logger, and three other bugs even with great security as Spysweeper from Webroot with virus protection. Spysweeper blocked them all and after I ran a scan for an hour and a half everything was guaranteened. Just thought I'd throw this in here but we know the risks when web surfing.

I believe last year when I was surfing the web I located a picture of her in her later years of life, but I didn't save it. She looked to be in her seventies.

If anyone would know about this subject it probably would be Rusty, Paul, Bill, or Rob.

Edited by Richard, 16 February 2010 - 01:09 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#11 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:42 AM

There's a few pictures included with my latest post at the 2-Gun blog:

http://rehtwogunraco...d-daniel-baker/

Rob

I was thinking the same thing about family members having pictures of Novalyne and the possibility of some obscure pictures of REH. What about her high school, college, and school where she was teaching pictures? I agree as this would be a nice project especially with a slight chance of finding another picture of REH alongside Novalyne.

I'd like to note a word of caution when searching the web. After I googled Novalyne Price Ellis pictures of I didn't find anything new except I got one virus, a polymorphic mutated virus, and keystroke logger, and three other bugs even with great security as Spysweeper from Webroot with virus protection. Spysweeper blocked them all and after I ran a scan for an hour and a half everything was guaranteened. Just thought I'd throw this in here but we know the risks when web surfing.

I believe last year when I was surfing the web I located a picture of her in her later years of life, but I didn't save it. She looked to be in her seventies.

If anyone would know about this subject it probably would be Rusty, Paul, Bill, or Rob.

#12 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:54 AM

Great job there! More info to fill in the gaps in our knowledge of this good Lady.

Also, more reference material toward a comprehensive biography, perhaps.

Tex
(yes, I'm that big a REH geek that I want a biography of Miss Novalyne.)

#13 Carcosa

Carcosa

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

There's a few pictures included with my latest post at the 2-Gun blog:

http://rehtwogunraco...d-daniel-baker/

Rob

Thanks for the link and the additional pictures, Rob. She was a real hot babe as far as I'm concerned. :)

#14 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

Novalyne wasn't a babe... not as far as the ideal. But she is the kind of gal most of us would want to be with. A gal that undertands us. Just wish it would finally happen, LoL.
MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter
Email: michael_mikos@yahoo.com

#15 Crawley

Crawley

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:45 AM

There's this one:

Posted Image

I always thought she was a pretty hot babe in this picture....REH had fine taste.

That's a wonderful picture of her. She was very beautiful and had a genuine smile and persona. It's easy to see why he was attracted to her.
Ookla...he's like a Wookie on too much black lotus!

#16 Crawley

Crawley

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

Novalyne wasn't a babe... not as far as the ideal. But she is the kind of gal most of us would want to be with. A gal that undertands us. Just wish it would finally happen, LoL.

I think there are a lot of girls out there that do understand guys, but it's hard to compete with the plastic gods of the new milenium.
Ookla...he's like a Wookie on too much black lotus!

#17 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

There's this one:

Posted Image

That's a wonderful picture of her. She was very beautiful and had a genuine smile and persona. It's easy to see why he was attracted to her.

Yes - I like this picture a lot, too! In fact, it's the picture on the back of her book,
"One Who Walked Alone" and on Wikipedia. Folks - If you haven't read this book you're missing out on a lot! Highly recommend you order it now or add it to your Kindle or ebook now.

Her family has to have a ton of pictures. There's the privacy thing and probably would only want a few photos released which is understandable. Does anyone know if there are photos of Novalyne and Bob together?

v/r Richard

Edited by Richard, 05 August 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#18 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:26 AM

I happen to be a Texan with a branch of the family located in Louisiana. When I saw this picture of Navalyne, it looked so much like an old photo of my deceased Aunt Artelia, it knocked me for a loop. Maybe I should do a little investigation of the family tree. Great photo.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#19 Sardonikus

Sardonikus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

Novalyne does not seem to fit the cliched ideal of the "classic beauty". Yet in these pictures there is an unmistakable sense of depth, sincerity, intelligence, forthrightness, and character. These qualities make her in an overall sense more beautiful than most women, especially the sentient mannequins of our empty tinselled age, who haunt fashion runways and magazine covers and are practically elevated to the status of Helen of Troy for their vapid and brainless utterances.

I envy REH for having had the privilege of knowing her and gaining her affection and friendship.

Edited by Sardonikus, 07 August 2011 - 06:48 PM.

Sardonikus vs. REH - All the torment and half the talent! :wacko: