#1 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

Warlord of the Southwestern Shield Wall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hey folks,

Sorry I've been running silent and deep here, lately, but I wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I'm in the middle of Blood & Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard, 2nd edition, to be published by the Robert E. Howard Foundation Press. This will be an expanded and updated edition, with lots of new material in most of the chapters, more commentary on Howard's fiction and poetry, and anything else I can realistically cram in there--and it'll be available in a hardcover edition, on top of everything else.

As I go on, I may be posting snippets or pertinent questions. Likewise, if you have any questions, I'll answer them as best as I can. If everything goes right, I'd love for this book to be available in time for this to get under your Christmas tree. No promises there, but I'll do the best I can!
Mark Finn
Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
Second Edition now available from the Robert E. Howard Foundation Press

Finn's Home Away From Home, REDUX!

#2 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Count me in!
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#3 Lord Greystoke

Lord Greystoke

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

me too, really looking forward to this.
Any thoughts on changing the cover illustration?

#4 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

me too, really looking forward to this.
Any thoughts on changing the cover illustration?

I second that, Greystoke.

#5 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

This was sitting in my To Buy list, so will now definitely get it when v2 comes out :)
"But the law!" screamed Tu.
"I am the law!" roared Kull, swinging up his axe; it flashed downward and the stone tablet flew into a hundred pieces. The people clenched their hands in horror, waiting dumbly for the sky to fall.

#6 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:17 AM

:D Thank you Mark. This is a must have. Your first Blood and Thunder was the best book I've ever read about REH and this up and coming one will be added to my collection. Hopefully one day I will be blessed to meet you and get your autograph on both books.

To all the REH fans out there. If you haven't picked up Mark's first Blood and Thunder believe me when I tell you it's the best of the best and you won't be able to put it down. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks again your friend and fan, Richard

Posted Image

From Book "About the author: Mark Finn is the recipient of the 2005 Cimmerian Award for Outstanding Achievement in Robert E. Howard studies, and a critically-acclaimed scholar, author, essayist and playwright. Finn is an expert in 20th century pop culture and genre studies, and is not to be trifled with. Robert E. Howard the creator of Conan the Cimmerian, Solomon Kane, King Kull, and many other characters that helped define the genre of heroic fantasy, lived all of his thirty years in the small town of Cross Plains, Texas. While his books remain continually in print, Howard himself has fallen into obscurity. The details of his personal life have become mired in speculation, half-truth and lies. This engaging biography traces the roots of his writings, correcting many long-standing misconceptions, and takes us on a tour of Howard's world as he saw it best: through his own incomparable imagination." There are some nice pictures included, too! Dedication - 'This book is dedicated to anyone who ever drove to Cross Plains, Texas, stood in the doorway of Robert E. Howards's room and felt a perceptible chill at the thought of being so close to where he created his blood and thunder. The lamp expires, but the fire remains."

Edited by Richard, 23 April 2010 - 01:20 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#7 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

Mark,
Please, please, please, please -- annotations in some form. I understand your reasoning for not having footnotes or even endnotes for the previous popular mass market version, but for this volume, published by the foundation, your main audience will be hardcore REH fans who for the most part will appreciate and use citations. I know it's a tremendous amount of work, but please consider it.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#8 Rock

Rock

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:00 AM

Sadly,but I have no possibility to buy it :(

#9 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

...I think I will wait for
version 3.0 [ with the happy ending ] ...?? ;)

[ sorry, just joking ]
----
Version 1 was great, fascinating, and a revelation for me.
thanks again, for explaining 'weird Bob' so well.

I felt I understood him much better after reading your fine book.
--
I can't imagine how you can improve on that?
What more can you reveal about his life?

[ sorry, but i am not interested in more views about his works in that book: i have the 'Complete Poetry' huge hardback, and this site and others for a vast variety of opinions and studies about all his works. ]

good luck with the project.
best wishes. :)

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#10 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:28 AM

Mark,
Please, please, please, please -- annotations in some form. I understand your reasoning for not having footnotes or even endnotes for the previous popular mass market version, but for this volume, published by the foundation, your main audience will be hardcore REH fans who for the most part will appreciate and use citations. I know it's a tremendous amount of work, but please consider it.

What I *might* do, if there's time, and if I'm not completely sick of it all, is to create a notes section that details the major sources used in each chapter. This may be chatty, or not, and it may not happen at all. It is a huge undertaking, which is why I just ran the casual notation in front of the quotes. Let me get the project to the finishing line, first, and then we'll see what else can be done about that. Cool?
Mark Finn

#11 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:36 AM

[ sorry, but i am not interested in more views about his works in that book: i have the 'Complete Poetry' huge hardback, and this site and others for a vast variety of opinions and studies about all his works. ]

Hey Bux,

Right after I finished the book, in late 2005, a number of really interesting things came to light. Some research was published that really illuminated some things about Robert's early life, and actual books were discovered that were owned by Dr. Howard (along with his notes and obsessive doodles), and since THEN there's been even more stuff found...ah, it's nothing that alters any existing theories or visions, but rather deepens and enriches then. But I was just mad at the time that all of that stuff couldn't have been found when I was WORKING on the book. This, then, is a chance to correct all of that. Also, some proofing errors, a couple of gaffs and goofs, and some non-essential facts needed correcting.

As for more fiction and poetry commentary, well, maybe YOU got enough of that, but I really took it on the chin by not doing a big Conan write-up. Also, I wanted to include more about the poetry, but didn't have time. Likewise, I had some things to say about the Breck stories, but couldn't articulate them at the time. Now, all of that can go in and I don't have to worry about space or anything like that. Some new stories will be discussed as well. Maybe not your cuppa, but it addresses one of the book's other shortcomings and will make it worth the money to buy the hardcover. It's not just a different printing of the same edition. There's a lot of new material. More pages and bang for the buck.
Mark Finn

#12 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:44 AM

Mark,

What I *might* do, if there's time, and if I'm not completely sick of it all, is to create a notes section that details the major sources used in each chapter. This may be chatty, or not, and it may not happen at all. It is a huge undertaking, which is why I just ran the casual notation in front of the quotes. Let me get the project to the finishing line, first, and then we'll see what else can be done about that. Cool?

Yes, I will also spring for a new copy if you add endnotes or footnotes. Plus definitely an index, can't recall if it already has that, probably so. A compact bibliography of Howard's works, along the lines of Porges' Edgar Rice Burroughs bio would also be very appreciated.

#13 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:49 AM

Oh, and more photos, please! How can I hope to get de Camp's into the storage box unless you unload all those great photos?! :unsure:

#14 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:38 AM

Hey Bux,

Right after I finished the book, in late 2005, a number of really interesting things came to light. Some research was published that really illuminated some things about Robert's early life, and actual books were discovered that were owned by Dr. Howard (along with his notes and obsessive doodles), and since THEN there's been even more stuff found...ah, it's nothing that alters any existing theories or visions, but rather deepens and enriches then. But I was just mad at the time that all of that stuff couldn't have been found when I was WORKING on the book. This, then, is a chance to correct all of that. Also, some proofing errors, a couple of gaffs and goofs, and some non-essential facts needed correcting.

As for more fiction and poetry commentary, well, maybe YOU got enough of that, but I really took it on the chin by not doing a big Conan write-up. Also, I wanted to include more about the poetry, but didn't have time. Likewise, I had some things to say about the Breck stories, but couldn't articulate them at the time. Now, all of that can go in and I don't have to worry about space or anything like that. Some new stories will be discussed as well. Maybe not your cuppa, but it addresses one of the book's other shortcomings and will make it worth the money to buy the hardcover. It's not just a different printing of the same edition. There's a lot of new material. More pages and bang for the buck.

Dear Mark,
Thankyou very much for explaining more about version 2.0 .

I will probably update my collection with it, later.

But it will be a great buy for any new REH fans who have not read/got version 1.
--
Ofcourse, I am always interested in your views/reviews of Howard's works/art.

But this site provides me with the greatest variety of fans opinions about all REH works.
--
Keep up the great work ! :)

#15 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:07 AM

Oh, and more photos, please! How can I hope to get de Camp's into the storage box unless you unload all those great photos?! :unsure:

Hey Steve,

Would that there were more photos to add! If anything comes up, and if the Powers-That-Be are up for it, I'd love to see a photo section in the middle with some of the more obscure related photos out there--pictures of the other members of the Junto and things like that. Of course, the photos that were in the book the first time around were specifically chosen for what they represented--photos of the town and the men who worked there, and things like that. I really don't want to include that famous picture of REH in his damn fool hat *YET AGAIN* because it's the most prevalent image of him out there. Well, maybe put it on the spine or something. But not in the book. I really tried to find some ice house photos, bare-knuckled fights, and things like that, but time and distance confounded me. In the end, I like what's in there, so you know for sure those pics will remain. If any more details come out, like being able to put some photos in the middle of the book, I'll break the news here, okay?
Mark Finn

#16 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:55 AM

I've been meaning to order a copy for awhile. I'm looking forward to the release.
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#17 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

I have a memory of a photo of REH from my youth. It was so long ago that my memory is vague. My friend had what I believe to have been a Steely Dan album, and inside the album liner was a photo of Howard, out beside his house, without a shirt, muscular, and --I think-- he was holding a barbell in his hands, out before him, as if halfway through a curl. This was his pose for the picture. That was a Steely Dan album from the early 1970's, one of their first hit albums. I do not care for their music that much, so I have never owned any of their albums, and I could not now tell you the name of the album or if the CD reproduces the original liner art. Anyone a Steely Dan fan? Thulsa Doom says: " :lol: "

Edited by korak, 24 April 2010 - 06:57 AM.

#18 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

Mark,

That would be great Mark, if you're able to swing it. I know it's a lot of work.

I'm very much looking forward to this new edition
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#19 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

Sadly,but I have no possibility to buy it :(

Rock - Why?
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#20 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

Mark,

That would be great Mark, if you're able to swing it. I know it's a lot of work.

I'm very much looking forward to this new edition

<_< WoW! You can please some of the folks some of the time and but not all of the folks all of the time. Time is money so I believe that if making notes is a huge undertaking the book will cost more and also delay the print run around Christmas time. For me, a "die hard" REH fan, notes distract from the original core text material and I don't like them. I'm trying to think where to look or what page to flip to, back of book/side pages and look at small fonts, etc.

Edited by Richard, 24 April 2010 - 04:21 PM.