87 replies to this topic

#41 vetrebond

vetrebond

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

Hopefully I didn't cause offence calling myself a geek! You're right, though - these things really break the spell, and its pretty fundamental really - not like some Tolkien fanatic pointing out that the wrong verb declension of Sindarin Elvish was used! The beauty of Hyboria is its flexibility and "undiscovered regions", but a few basic rules apply. To ignore these is just plain sloppiness in my humble opinion. :angry:

The good thing about Fiction, is that the rules that apply to it make more sense than the rules that apply in real life. Fiction, even the most abstract of fantasies, has to make sense. Real Life doesn't.

#42 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:10 AM

I've heard of Dragon Con, but Atlanta is too far for me. Plus, I just went to Gen Con, and my wife would slay me if went to another big convention. ;)

Anyway, I usually don't swear to any specific gods. If I curse, I call upon all of them at once. For instance, "The gods are against us this day."
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#43 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:47 AM

Hey y'all,
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever caught themselves swearing by or making cracks about or pertaining to the gods in Conan's Hyborean World? I think of Crom a lot, how realistic he has almost become and have jokingly made swears or cracks pertaining to him. The other day a buddy and I were carrying on about something and, half joking and half serious, I said, "By Ishtar's ass!" It is not that I believe they are real gods or anything, but they have become a part of my thoughts since I read REH so much. I was just wondering if any of y'all can relate.
Take care,
Freebooter

yes i do,and it's best not to catch Croms attention too much.
Oh and for the record the deities mentioned in REH's stories are drawn from ancient pagan religions.

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#44 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:49 AM

Hey y'all,
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever caught themselves swearing by or making cracks about or pertaining to the gods in Conan's Hyborean World? I think of Crom a lot, how realistic he has almost become and have jokingly made swears or cracks pertaining to him. The other day a buddy and I were carrying on about something and, half joking and half serious, I said, "By Ishtar's ass!" It is not that I believe they are real gods or anything, but they have become a part of my thoughts since I read REH so much. I was just wondering if any of y'all can relate.
Take care,
Freebooter

yes i do,and it's best not to catch Croms attention too much.
Oh and for the record the deities mentioned in REH's stories are drawn from ancient pagan religions.

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#45 Erschel of the Icy North

Erschel of the Icy North

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:15 AM

Why, just earlier this morning I used Mitra to show my surprise at the editing of Kush ites, which I have to space now so it won't censor the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th letters...

Crom and his devils!
When the oceans drown the world, women will take time for jealousy.
Devil take their conceit!
Did I tell the Stygian to fall in love with me?
After all,
she was only human!

#46 howler

howler

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:36 AM

When I was in the Army we would recite several scenes from the movie. The "lamadation of the women" line was one of our favorites as was "contemplate this on the tree of woe".

I'm a wrestling coach now and I call my whistle the "whistle of woe". I also yell "VALHALLA" sometimes at practice. They love it. I guess thats also a Viking thing but what the hell.

I was a bouncer for several years and would sometimes yell the same thing before jumping into the "thick of the fray" so to speak. I really hated that job but I was a single father of three and that was good tax fee cash money every week end.

Valhalla was also a toast we would do when getting really really drunk when I was in the military.

I also said "up bel in the name of bel" in a big fist fight between my company and another in the 82nd once, got my lip busted by a sucker punch right after that. Still got in a few licks but not as good as I got.

When people ask me about how I feel about my 3 kids leaving for collage, I bring up the part in the movie where Conan is running from the wolves and the narrator says "Freedom, a long forgotten dream".

I know I might have said something else from Conan in all my adventures. If I remember any I'll post again.

Howler.

#47 LCUCHULAIN

LCUCHULAIN

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Location:Currently Las Vegas, NV., Previously Northern Cimmeria, by Crom!!!

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

BY YMIR'S ICE-SAC AND MANNANNAN MAC LIR'S BARNACLE CRUSTED ARSE!! I'M SORRY...WHAT WAS THE QUESTION?! LOL
'No one in this world can you trust Conan. Not men, not women, not beasts. (he points to the sword he just completed) But this...this you can trust!'
-Conan's father, Conan the Barbarian

#48 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

I have caught myself saying "By Crom", "Crom" and "By the gods" at different times.
MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter
Email: michael_mikos@yahoo.com

#49 Spartan198

Spartan198

Spartiatai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

Hopefully I didn't cause offence calling myself a geek! You're right, though - these things really break the spell, and its pretty fundamental really - not like some Tolkien fanatic pointing out that the wrong verb declension of Sindarin Elvish was used! The beauty of Hyboria is its flexibility and "undiscovered regions", but a few basic rules apply. To ignore these is just plain sloppiness in my humble opinion. :angry:

Like somebody said on another thread somewhere: "We're all geeks here... except Buxom Sorceress. She's just hot."

As for the topic on hand,I'm a devout follower of the old gods (mainly because the so-called "morals" of mainstream religions are so obscure and contradictory),I constantly find myself swearing by Athena,Ares,Zeus,and Poseidon. But I have occasionally thrown a Crom,Mitra,Ishtar,and Bori in there.
"What is good in life?... To crush your enemy, see him driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -- Conan of Cimmeria

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ "Come and take them." -- Leonidas' reply when ordered by the Persian messenger to surrender his weapons before the Battle of the Thermopylae Pass.

Posted Image

#50 daknight

daknight

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:12 AM

If I did swear by any of these, it would be Crom. Though i don't believe i have. Not to be controversial, but I don't think I would need to as Conan's theological view of Crom seems to be mine about "God". Or perhaps there is some genetic memory at play, bubbling to the surface, perhaps an ancestor of mine being some agent or follower of Crom Cruaich? Who knows. If I said CROM! instead of GOD! when mad, I wouldn't be taking God's name in vain, a positive, but then I would be calling on either a fictional god entirely, or some variation of a non-Judeo-Christian god, a negative. Six of one, half-dozen of the other?
Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and origin of marvels. -- Goya

#51 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

I love swearing, but not only by Hyborian gods. There's some very colorfull "sayings" from wild west times. For example.
When is cold out there I say it's cold as in the hooker's heart. Or when someone is annoying, I can say something like People evolved in many ways you know? In case you didn't know, we dont wear our pants just to hide our tails. Or something like: You've got a brain of a retarted four year old boy. I bet he was glad to get rid of it.
But of course, nothing compares to By Odin's balls or Odin's beard, or just For Crom's ****in' sake. I use For god's ****in' sake a lot.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#52 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

"I'm not taking God's name in vain, it's a summoning."
;)

#53 jeddak

jeddak

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

I often say "Gods!" or "Gods help me!" Since I'm not a card carrying member of any one particular faith or religion, I'll take any help I can get from any corner. Don't know when the last time was when I actually named a god in particular though.
I think the next time I'm really pissed off at something, I'm gonna throw out "Derketo's sloppy ****!" See what that gets me.

#54 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Unfortunately, I only swear by Judeo Christian deities.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#55 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

I got into a habit of swearing by Crom, etc, as a teenager, because my Mom wouldn't let me curse and swear using familiar words! But she didn't know what Crom was! ha ha :lol:

#56 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:09 AM

:blink: ? how many have you got on your list ???!!!?? :huh:

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 20 June 2008 - 02:10 AM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#57 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:42 AM

:blink: ? how many have you got on your list ???!!!?? :huh:

Just the father and son. I've never swore by the holy ghost. :)
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#58 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

OK.

By Baal-Pteor's gnarly nuggets!

#59 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

~~~ Divine Inspiration ~~~

Here is a good list of some main
Gods and demons of the Hyborian Age
to help remind and inspire you...

http://hyboria.xoth.net/gods/gods.htm

--
And ofcourse there are lots more ancient historical Viking/Norse, Celtic, and Egyptian gods and demons that you can use [ which fit in well with Hyboria ].
----
KORTOSO : Great starting curse.
----

By the golden teeth of Asura !
I want more ?

#60 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:18 PM