14 replies to this topic

#1 thundarr

thundarr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

Hey guys, Don't know if anyone's seen this yet, but I just ran across a new Batman comic mini-series called "Batman: Return of Bruce Wayne" & the second issue features Batman as a very familiar Puritan "Witch Hunter". They even have an action figure coming out next year. :)

Batman: Return of Bruce Wayne
Posted Image
http://www.dccollect...-wayne-figures/
Posted Image

#2 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

You mean they even gave him the ju-ju staff? The Hell?
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#3 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:47 AM

ah...Ah...AH....RIPOFF!!!

>sniff<

Sorry. I have a cold.

#4 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:16 AM

I hope it has a bat-head in place of the cat-head. :P
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#5 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:50 AM

I'll be honest.
IT LOOKS FRIKKIN COOL!!
I'm going to have to grab that mini-series and figure!
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#6 Alpha Beta Mu

Alpha Beta Mu

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

It's an intentional homage according to Grant Morrison, the writer. This from SFX magazine by way of SciFiPulse.Net:

?It?s very much about who Bruce Wayne is and how Batman is a major part of that,? says Morrison. ?He starts the series with no memory and has to piece his identity back together while being bounced forward through time.?

The comic will be drawn by Chris Sprouse, and the opening issue sees Bruce in the Paleolithic Era, and as the story progresses we?ll see Bruce in various historical, which have been researched by Morrison in order to really sell us on the historical periods only with the addition of certain Pulp expectations.

As the series moves on we will see Bruce wind up in the Pilgrim era of America where he will pit his wits against the Puritans and their infamious Witch Finders.

?It has all the spooky morally ambiguous echoes of Vincent Price, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Robert E. Howard that we might expect from such stories,? continues Morrison. ?Then we have the private eye noir story, which is a classic first ? person narrative hardboiled mystery with a twist.? (Emphasis is mine)

#7 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

Over at Black Gate, Ryan Harvey has reviewed the first issue.

http://www.blackgate...ars-bruce-wayne

Very Howard-esque, indeed.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#8 indestructibleman

indestructibleman

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

looks pretty cool (though i don't like the tall hat so much). Chris Sprouse is an excellent illustrator and Grant Morrison is of course on the top tier of comics writers.

#9 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

Heh, Grant Morrison only lives a couple miles away from me (albeit the other side of the Clyde, "Doon the watter" as we say).

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#10 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

Heh, Grant Morrison only lives a couple miles away from me (albeit the other side of the Clyde, "Doon the watter" as we say).

Pop over and ask if he'd like to write some Conan , after his X-Men and Batman work I think we'd be in for a ride ;)

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#11 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

Pop over and ask if he'd like to write some Conan , after his X-Men and Batman work I think we'd be in for a ride ;)

Terry

I might well do! Maybe the direct approach will work. I think he must be an REH fan, as Ryan over at Black Gate notes the similarities. It'd be another one for the "Quotes in Praise of REH" thread, if one of the most influential comic writers speaks well of him. Being compared to Nathaniel Hawthorne is awesome as all get-out.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#12 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:44 AM

The figure is much better than that series has been. Its right on par with the Return of Captain America.

Maybe not as bad as the butchering they did to one of the greatest series of all time with the Grim Hunt thing for Spiderman.
The Lord Crom
Director of the Solomon Kane Fan Film "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville"
My shortfilms: http://www.mystichammer.com/
Crom's Conan Page and SSOC Cover Gallery: http://www.mystichammer.com/conan/

#13 SKFan

SKFan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hey folks,

Having read the Batman homage to SK, I was quite disappointed. There was a brief lip service tribute (visual only) to SK and not much more. I'm sure they'll be successful in selling their figurines though. :) I did happen along another clear homage, much better in my opinion, and more in spirit with SK.

In the "Condemned by Fire" comic mini-series, Magnus Gault, is a brooding witch hunter (templar of the holy order of Sigmar) in a pursuit adventure turned mystery.

"I have no mercy for you blasphemer -- only judgment!"

Written by the prolific Dan Abnett, well known in Warhammer and comics circles. I was mightily impressed. For those unfamiliar with the setting, Warhammer is high fantasy but this tale stays far enough away from the common warfare plots (driven by miniature-sales) and keeps it familiar enough to an SK tale. Overall, it's on par with Deaths Black Riders.

Edition collection: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/1934506486

SKFan

#14 BizarroFett

BizarroFett

Ser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

as an avid, uber hardcore Batman fanatic, i can tell this series is freaking AWESOME... though when Bruce does get back, i hope he's just a mentor to Dick, and doesn't become Batman again for a while... frankly i LOVE Grayson as Batman.

Edited by BizarroFett, 09 August 2010 - 02:19 AM.

#15 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

At a comicon last year (in my Solomon Kane outfit) a young guy (in some generic anime outfit) came up to me convinced I was dressed as Bruce Wayne.
I was all "WTF You mean Batman, that Bruce Wayne?"
It all makes sense now.