• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,518 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:44 AM

This is a call to our membership - we are hoping to update the REH photo record topic - Photographic Record of REH topic.

If you have a REH photo that we are missing and would like to share the image please contact me or just post the image here.

Thank you in advance!

B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#2 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

Has anyone sent in anything new? I sent an email to Norris Chambers and asked him kindly if he had any new pictures of Robert. Norris is the nicest man with a heart of gold. Hopefully something new turns up! :)
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#3 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,518 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:23 AM

Has anyone sent in anything new? I sent an email to Norris Chambers and asked him kindly if he had any new pictures of Robert. Norris is the nicest man with a heart of gold. Hopefully something new turns up! :)

No response to the call yet, Richard. Thank you for your efforts! Hopefully, one of the REH scholars will comment of the completeness of our photographic record - maybe we have all known photos of REH?

#4 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

As far as I know, all the known REH photos are there with the exception of one with Patch(es). The so-called "studio alternate" is in fact the original, while the other (the one immediately above) is a later print. The one with the Howards in Galveston dates from Feb 1918. The lady on the far right is not Mrs. Chambers, but Deoma (Norris Chambers' sister (all this is written on the back of the original photo.)

Patrice

#5 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,518 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

Thank you very much Patrice! I made the the necessary corrections. We will continue to search for that photo with Patches. :)

Thanks Patrice!

#6 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

I can send you that, if you want. This particular photo surfaced in 2001 in Cross Plains, as an elderly lady brought that, thinking "it might interest us." Those "us" (among whom Glenn Lord, Rusty and I) just stood there gaping for a looong time.

Patrice

Edited by Patrice Louinet, 23 July 2010 - 05:31 PM.

#7 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,518 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

I can send you that, if you want. This particular photo surfaced in 2001 in Cross Plains, as an elderly lady brought that, thinking "it might interest us." Those "us" (among which Glenn Lord, Rusty and I) just stood there gaping for a looong time.

Patrice

That would be great! I'll send you a PM.

#8 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

I can send you that, if you want. This particular photo surfaced in 2001 in Cross Plains, as an elderly lady brought that, thinking "it might interest us." Those "us" (among which Glenn Lord, Rusty and I) just stood there gaping for a looong time.

Patrice

That would be great! I'll send you a PM.

:) That's awesome! Thanks Patrice and Strom:) Can you let us know when it's available?

And Patches is buried in the back yard near the tree?

Edited by Richard, 23 July 2010 - 10:50 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#9 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

That's where he is, yes.

#10 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Strom, where can we access the pictures you are collecting? BTW, there's one of REH with Patches on the REHupa website. Here is the link to all the REH pictures: http://www.rehupa.com/pictures_reh.htm Hopefully your list and REHupa's will match. I have a very *faint* hope that other new ones may surface.

Patrice, the Patches picture on REHupa is grainy and not as clear as some of the others. This is my favorite photo of REH -- he's actually smiling. I'm hoping your copy of it is better? I can see why you were dumbfounded when it was first shown to you. Another link to REH.
BB
BB

#11 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

The original of the one with Patches on the REHUPA website (which is *not* the one I was mentioning, there are two Patches picture) is whereabouts unknown. It belongs to a group of three pictures that first appeared in Tevis Clyde Smith's reprint of "Frontier's Generation." When Clyde died, none of these were found in his effects. So what you see on the REHUPA website is about the best quality repro we are likely to see.

Patrice

#12 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,518 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

Strom, where can we access the pictures you are collecting? BTW, there's one of REH with Patches on the REHupa website. Here is the link to all the REH pictures: http://www.rehupa.com/pictures_reh.htm Hopefully your list and REHupa's will match. I have a very *faint* hope that other new ones may surface.

Patrice, the Patches picture on REHupa is grainy and not as clear as some of the others. This is my favorite photo of REH -- he's actually smiling. I'm hoping your copy of it is better? I can see why you were dumbfounded when it was first shown to you. Another link to REH.
BB
BB

Hello Barbara - the pictures gathered here on the forum may be viewed at The Photographic Record of Robert E. Howard on the Robert E. Howard Photo Album forum. It is our fear that other members do not check the forum main page to view all the different topics available to discuss. The Photo Album does not get as much activity as we hoped it would. That will hopefully change after we add the new photo Patrice was nice enough to email me. I'm going to get it up as soon as I can.

EDIT: I posted the new REH photo on the album (click link above) - thanks again to Patrice :

Posted Image

After Patrice sent me the image I realized I had a print of it in my office from my trip to REH days in '06!

#13 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

Strom, thanks for the reminder and for the photo links. Sad that there isn't a better copy of my favorite REH and Patches photo.

Patrice, thanks for the background info. I had heard it wasn't available but didn't know why. When you mentioned the Patches photo, though, it wouldn't have surprised me that you had a better copy of it. BTW getting hold of that particular photo would be another *coup* for your collection!
BB

#14 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

So that makes THREE Patches photos, right? The one above, the one where he is larger and crouched down petting the dog, and the one in the snow that is hard to see.

#15 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

So that makes THREE Patches photos, right?

Yep, that's all the ones we know about. Still waitin' for somebody to come in to the CP library and say "I found this old box of photos in my mama's trunk...."

Rusty

#16 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:12 AM

Dang. Paul corrected ME!
Yes, I suppose that that blurry thing with what looks like a white paw seen against a vague and snowy background *could* technically be called the third Patches photo.
Ahem... What? Me??? No....

Edited by Patrice Louinet, 25 July 2010 - 02:13 AM.

#17 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,518 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:19 AM

Posted Image

I'm still looking... :)

#18 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

I just ust got Norris Chamber's reply email. He doesn't have more of Robert's pictures either. Norris turns 93 on September 6. There's got to be more pictures somewhere buried in a closet, trunk, basement, or attic.

Edited by Richard, 31 July 2010 - 10:23 PM.

#19 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

As synchronicity would have it... Maybe there's a little surprise coming soon on this thread.
Just saying...

Patrice

#20 martinsonly

martinsonly

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

As synchronicity would have it... Maybe there's a little surprise coming soon on this thread.
Just saying...

Patrice

Something soon...? Ready to say "Wow".