61 replies to this topic

#1 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

I can't believe it!! Collected Poetry of Robert E. Howard on Ebay!! One bid for $45 and bidding closes on July 14!!

Reportedly a Robert E. Howard Signed Letter to Clark Ashton Smith. One bid for $499 with bidding closing Jul 15.

Edited by Richard, 11 July 2010 - 10:55 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#2 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

Man! I thought maybe there was a new undiscovered REH story or fragment or a never before discovered letter from REH or something similar.

I'm not surprised to see the Poetry book on ebay and strictly speaking now is a good time to sell a REH autograph - we are in the middle of Robert E. Howard renaissance.

Very interesting though - thanks Richard.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#3 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

45 dollars is that cheaper than what it cost as new by the foundation ?

I would have bought it if it wasnt in the middle of the month,book broke :P

#4 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

I'm definately going after that Collected Poetry, as I dragged around and missed getting a copy when they were still available. I've had my snipe set since it started. Fingers crossed.

As for the letter, that is only the opening bid and it has a reserve which is probably pretty high. I'm tempted to take a stab at it, but it probably won't meet reserve.

There was also an original typescript page (unsigned) from "Blue Flame of Vengence" that just sold for a bargain at $200. I was the underbidder, dammit. :(

Edited by theagenes, 12 July 2010 - 07:30 PM.

Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#5 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

I'm shocked that people have the nerve to burn REH audio-book mp3s from a certain free-to-download site (that for good reason shall remain nameless here) and try to sell them on Ebay. Buyers beware! :angry:
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#6 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

I just love the copy near the bottom of the page...

To our Valued Customers: These recordings are all available in the public domain. Our main aim is to make these wonderful Public Domain Materials available to you: the small price you pay for these CDs is for the Production, Administration, Post & Packing.

Awww, now ain't that nice! :angry:

Tex
(that mook is like a garage version of Radio Spirits, selling PD audio with pretty pictures on it, just minus the fancy-pants packaging)

#7 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

:o The Robert E. Howard Signed Letter to Clark Ashton Smith is up to six 6 bids. Current bid is $1,250. The letter is signed in Robert's initials REH. Finding Robert's complete signature would be worth a lot more; I believe around $500-1,000 per letter. Bidding ends in about 3 hours today 15 July 7:30pm. I'm not an Ebay buyer or seller but did read one time the person who places the last highest bid wins. What people do is wait until the last second before the deadline and submit the bid at the last moment which ensures they get it. There's a trick to it because more than one person does this so there is some luck involved, too. I guess. Anyways, if someone on this here Forum ends up with this treasure will you be so kind to place a reply post? Thank you, good luck, and hopefully congratulations!

Edited by Richard, 15 July 2010 - 10:51 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#8 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

I'm definately going after that Collected Poetry, as I dragged around and missed getting a copy when they were still available. I've had my snipe set since it started. Fingers crossed.

As for the letter, that is only the opening bid and it has a reserve which is probably pretty high. I'm tempted to take a stab at it, but it probably won't meet reserve.

There was also an original typescript page (unsigned) from "Blue Flame of Vengence" that just sold for a bargain at $200. I was the underbidder, dammit. :(

:) Did you get Collected Poetry?

Edited by Richard, 15 July 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#9 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

I think this is pretty cool! And for only $7.95.
Posted Image
And Wandering Star has no bids Cost $24.95 Jim & Ruth Keegan
Posted Image Only a few thousand published. I had two and donated one to Project Pride to auction off at REH Days last year. A very worthy cause.

#10 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

:) Did you get Collected Poetry?

Got it! I really needed it for some of the stuff I'm working on, so I had a very aggressive snipe bid set. I wasn't planning on losing this one. :)

Edit: BTW it turns out the seller was Stephen Fabian, the artist. Pretty cool.

Edited by theagenes, 16 July 2010 - 12:56 AM.

#11 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

So, as I figured the reserve was not met on the letter so no one won it. The final bid was $1324, but from what I hear the reserve was considerably higher than that. There may be some off ebay offers going on though. It'll be interesting to see if it gets relisted.

#12 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:21 AM

Jeff, so glad to hear you won the Collected Poetry book! You've mentioned your background in etymology in the past and have also said you are a fan of Word of the Week. Now that you have the poetry book, you can read the rest of the poems quoted! Very glad to hear that you were so determined to obtain it. Well worth the effort and if you find a poem that *connects* with you, please share it with us on the Forum's REH Poetry and Verse thread?
BB

#13 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

What did the Collected Poetry go for, if you don't mind saying?

#14 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Jeff, so glad to hear you won the Collected Poetry book! You've mentioned your background in etymology in the past and have also said you are a fan of Word of the Week. Now that you have the poetry book, you can read the rest of the poems quoted! Very glad to hear that you were so determined to obtain it. Well worth the effort and if you find a poem that *connects* with you, please share it with us on the Forum's REH Poetry and Verse thread?
BB

Absolutely! I'm very excited to delve into Howard's verse. :)

#15 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

What did the Collected Poetry go for, if you don't mind saying?

About $150 and change, though I was prepared to go much higher if needed. This is was a first edition and Stephen Fabian's copy, which is a nice association. You have to figure most of the people who bought this are hardcore REH fans, so I imagine that most copies will be locked up in collections for some time. I'm a dumbass for not getting it from the Foundation at cover price when I had the chance. :P

#16 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

$150 sounds quite reasonable. You're right, people aren't going to part with these unless they absolutely have to.

#17 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

BB

Absolutely! I'm very excited to delve into Howard's verse. :)

:) That's awesome you got a famous person's Collected Poetry! Good job! If you get a chance please go to Page 303 - The Heart of The Seas Desire. It blew me away!

You were thinking like some others that there would be a second printing. Now that you have the book you can ask Rob Roehm to reserve you that same number on future issues of REH Foundation Books, if you like.

I'm glad this book got in your hands. I couldn't fathom it going to someone else not in the REH Forum Family.

Edited by Richard, 17 July 2010 - 12:08 AM.

#18 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:00 AM

$150 sounds quite reasonable. You're right, people aren't going to part with these unless they absolutely have to.

That´s cheaper than the first edition copy I saw on Alibris a couple of weeks back, going for a fixed price of 138 pounds (~$200), the seller had a couple of other Foundation books too.
Would love to have a copy, I would fork out less than a hundred pounds for a second or third edition.

Edited by drush9999, 17 July 2010 - 02:00 AM.

"But the law!" screamed Tu.
"I am the law!" roared Kull, swinging up his axe; it flashed downward and the stone tablet flew into a hundred pieces. The people clenched their hands in horror, waiting dumbly for the sky to fall.

#19 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:31 AM

Turns out there's another Collected Poetry on ebay, at $177 as I type this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4cf0a43a31

And a French guy is selling another ultra-rare Howard publication

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=STRK:MESELX:IT

#20 Crom's bells

Crom's bells

Sinewy thews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Holy Hanuman! Now I wish I hadn't spent all the money I earned last month on electronics and PC stuff. I'd definitely want to add that to my collection. Only problem is, I don't know if I'd ever open it to read :P

The letter, however, may be a bit too rich for my blood.