19 replies to this topic

#1 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

I have all but one of the Tor Conan the... series. Well, my nephew had to hit the book shop the other day, so I tagged along. Weeks easlier I'd noticed two or three Conan the... books on the shelf, big surprise, but recognizing the titles passed them by. This time I noticed one title left, Conan the Victorious by Robert Jordon, and this time... I had to look!

On the back I see: PLUS A SPECIAL BONUS! "Conan the Indestructable" -- a history of Conan ad his times by L. SPRAGUE DE CAMP

It's been years, probably what 26 years, since the book appeared in 1984 by copyright, and I didn't remember this little gem by Mr. De Camp being a part of it or having seen the article before, so I snatched it.

I am still reading volume 10 of Weird Works, but plan to dive into this 2010 reprint soon. My questions? Was this gem part of the original run of the book? (I suckered myself via bad memory)Or did this gem appear somewhere else first?
Crom!

#2 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

I have a few Tor books with that addition too. I think that's basically where it first showed up.

All I have left now from that series are the John Maddox Roberts and Robert Jordan stories. The rest of them - with respect to the authors who tried - for the most part just didn't hold up for me personally. To this day though I still flip through '...the Valorous', or '...the Marauder' by example from time to time to relive fave scenes. Back in the day as a teen I had hoped that, had the original film franchise kept going, say like Bond where you get a new one every couple of years, that some of those would have been adapted for the screen. A lot of Jordan's would have been great on teh big screen.

#3 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Was it really a 2010 reprint?

I'm just curious because last year, I found an old Glen Cook TOR novel, Tower of Fear popping up at different bookstores. They looked like old copies, and they were mint. I think I checked and they weren't reprints. I was thinking someone found an old box in the back-room of the TOR warehouse.

Just wondering if maybe it was the same story with these occasional, older Conans popping up.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#4 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

I have a few Tor books with that addition too. I think that's basically where it first showed up.

All I have left now from that series are the John Maddox Roberts and Robert Jordan stories. The rest of them - with respect to the authors who tried - for the most part just didn't hold up for me personally. To this day though I still flip through '...the Valorous', or '...the Marauder' by example from time to time to relive fave scenes. Back in the day as a teen I had hoped that, had the original film franchise kept going, say like Bond where you get a new one every couple of years, that some of those would have been adapted for the screen. A lot of Jordan's would have been great on teh big screen.

Ah, I suckered myself.

Actually, I'd rather a Conan set of flicks were based on Howard's stories. But that's a lost dream.
Crom!

#5 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

Was it really a 2010 reprint?

I'm just curious because last year, I found an old Glen Cook TOR novel, Tower of Fear popping up at different bookstores. They looked like old copies, and they were mint. I think I checked and they weren't reprints. I was thinking someone found an old box in the back-room of the TOR warehouse.

Just wondering if maybe it was the same story with these occasional, older Conans popping up.

August 2010 3rd edition

1st and 2nd editions were 1984 and 1985

Something seems off there, but that's what's in the book.
Crom!

#6 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

Looks like two were reprinted this year , with another out next.

http://store.tor.com/series/282

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#7 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

Terry

I wonder why? Capitalizing on the movie a little early. Maybe because Wheel of Time is finishing up (albeit posthumously?)

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#8 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

Terry

I wonder why? Capitalizing on the movie a little early. Maybe because Wheel of Time is finishing up (albeit posthumously?)

I think it's more like after an author's passing you dump his stuff on the market for, you might say, as the Phantom strip says now and then, "For those who came in late." And he wrote some Conan the... books, so...
Crom!

#9 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

I was browsing in Chapters today (big Canadian book chain for those not living in the Great White North!) and saw that they had copies of most of the Jordan Conan's from Tor. Also a few of the recently re-released Howard volumes everyone's familiar with. This is all good stuff as far as I'm concerned. It's nice to see the character getting some long overdue exposure again.

#10 Urthur the Brythunian

Urthur the Brythunian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Location:In this world, Ottawa. but in the hyborian world, Brythunia, killing some Hyperborean scum.

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:07 AM

To above-Nice to see a fellow Canadian(Im assuming, since you were at chapters) (Of course, i am also a Brythunian)

I need to hit my local chapters for a book run. maybe they have some Jordan, but ill be looking for the Del rey volumes(And other non-Conan/Howard stuff,namely Swords and Deviltry by Fritz leiber)

#11 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

This is clearly to cash in on Jordan's name, while the new posthumous completions of Wheel of Time are on bestsellers lists.

Wonder if they'll reprint more of the old pastiches though.
"But the law!" screamed Tu.
"I am the law!" roared Kull, swinging up his axe; it flashed downward and the stone tablet flew into a hundred pieces. The people clenched their hands in horror, waiting dumbly for the sky to fall.

#12 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

I don't know about the Tor edition, but in the UK the LSDC article appears in The Conan Chronicles 2, published by Orbit in the UK, which is the second collection of Jordan's stories (Conan the Victorious is in the first one). The piece is dated May 1984.

This certainly does raise the interesting possibility that Tor may reissue more pastiches when the movie comes out. John Maddox Roberts and John C Hocking deserve to be back in print. Much better than Robert Jordan!
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#13 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

Well, I gone through L. Sprague De Camp's Conan the Indestructable and...

Yes, it was a nice little timeline of stories/books, even with a few stories tossed into question, but as I read it something gnawed at me, eventually making me laugh. It was de Camp's way of putting the timeline in order: through historical documents!

But if the Hyborian Age was between the sinking of Atlantis and the beginning of recorded History... Where did de Camp's documents come from?

It truly showed me he did not get it. And it explains a lot.
Crom!

#14 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:52 AM

...de Camp's way of putting the timeline in order: through historical documents!

But if the Hyborian Age was between the sinking of Atlantis and the beginning of recorded History... Where did de Camp's documents come from?

SLAM DUNK! :D

Tex
(target destroyed)

#15 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

Well, I gone through L. Sprague De Camp's Conan the Indestructable and...

Yes, it was a nice little timeline of stories/books, even with a few stories tossed into question,

No, it's not. That timeline was LSdC's way of imposing/justifying his "official timeline" on all pastiches. If you notice, he excluded Wagner's The Road of Kings from the "DeCampian Conan Canon". That was simply sour grapes/animosity on Spraguey's part, NOT anything inherently wrong (REH chronology-wise) with that novel. De Camp played (sometimes passive-aggressive) hardball with those who didn't toe his party line.

Plus, it simply reinforced in the minds of the uninformed/ignorant/stupid the idea that ANY (approved by LSdC) tale about Conan was just as valid/"the same as" those written by Robert E. Howard himself in regards to the character of Conan and the Hyborian Age he bestrode. Crap like that was a big reason why Rusty Burke created his "REH Purist Manifesto".

but as I read it something gnawed at me, eventually making me laugh. It was de Camp's way of putting the timeline in order: through historical documents!

De Camp didn't "get it", but not in the way you describe. Robert E. Howard flat-out stated that the Hyborian Age was told of in Von Junzt's Nameless Cults. That implies Von Junzt learned of the Hyborian Age from "historical documents", since that 19th century German savant travelled the world studying esoteric manuscripts. "The Nemedian Chronicles" weren't written down by Hyborian Age Nemedians.

I look at the whole problem here:

http://www.thecimmer...ian-chronicles/

...and here:

http://www.thecimmer...ian-chronicles/

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#16 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

I just read De Camp's Conan the Indestructible here.

While he mentions The Road of Kings, he then goes on to say:
"This tale involves many questions. If authentic it may belong in Conan's earlier mercenary period around the time of Conan the Defender. But there is no corroboration in other narratives of the idea that Conan ever visited Zingara before his late thirties, the time of Conan the Buccaneer. Moreover, none of the rulers of Zingara mentioned in the papyrus appear on the list of kings of Zingara in the Byzantine manuscript Hoi Anaktes tes Tzingeras. Hence some students deem the papyrus either spurious or a case of confusion between Conan and some other hero. Everything else known about Conan indicates that if he had indeed been offered the Zingaran crown, he would have grabbed it with both hands."

What a sad little man :D
"I am the law!" roared Kull, swinging up his axe; it flashed downward and the stone tablet flew into a hundred pieces. The people clenched their hands in horror, waiting dumbly for the sky to fall.

#17 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:25 AM

I just read De Camp's Conan the Indestructible here.

While he mentions The Road of Kings, he then goes on to say:
"This tale involves many questions. If authentic it may belong in Conan's earlier mercenary period around the time of Conan the Defender. But there is no corroboration in other narratives of the idea that Conan ever visited Zingara before his late thirties, the time of Conan the Buccaneer. Moreover, none of the rulers of Zingara mentioned in the papyrus appear on the list of kings of Zingara in the Byzantine manuscript Hoi Anaktes tes Tzingeras. Hence some students deem the papyrus either spurious or a case of confusion between Conan and some other hero. Everything else known about Conan indicates that if he had indeed been offered the Zingaran crown, he would have grabbed it with both hands."

What a sad little man :D

It gets even more sad when you consider that LSdC counted EVERY tale written by himself, Carter and Jordan as "canonical". Even worse, Wagner wasn't allowed to write his projected novel, "The Day of the Lion" because Spraguey wanted to exploit that same period in Conan's career for the execrable Conan the Liberator. Check out these links:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/word/

http://www.thecimmer...-soft-pedalled/

http://www.conan.com...h=1

Meanwhile, Spraguey gave his implied imprimatur to various horrid "Conan" novels by Green, Perry and Carpenter in the Tor Conan pastiche series. Posted Image

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#18 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

It gets even more sad when you consider that LSdC counted EVERY tale written by himself, Carter and Jordan as "canonical". Even worse, Wagner wasn't allowed to write his projected novel, "The Day of the Lion" because Spraguey wanted to exploit that same period in Conan's career for the execrable Conan the Liberator. Check out these links:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/word/

http://www.thecimmer...-soft-pedalled/

http://www.conan.com...h=1

Meanwhile, Spraguey gave his implied imprimatur to various horrid "Conan" novels by Green, Perry and Carpenter in the Tor Conan pastiche series. Posted Image

Interestingly The Day of the Lion synopsis reads like a sequel to Howard's original The Black Stranger, not the bastardised The Treasure of Tranicos version. He goes off to be a pirate at the beginning, albeit briefly.

#19 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

Interestingly The Day of the Lion synopsis reads like a sequel to Howard's original The Black Stranger, not the bastardised The Treasure of Tranicos version. He goes off to be a pirate at the beginning, albeit briefly.

Ah, well we can't have that, can we? Can't have something that ignore's the established chronology, or we'll have such "abominations" as a gay Conan. Master of jumping to conclusions, that de Camp.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#20 grim cimmerian

grim cimmerian

Saturnine Slayer, Crag Climber, Marauder of the Mountains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:38 AM

Do the new pastiche TOR reprints have the same cover art as earlier printings?
"WOE UNTO MY FOEMEN, PITY THEIR WIDOWS AND KIN."
All flatlanders are soft and frail, I enjoy those qualities in their women.
"By CROM if you so much as touch your hilt I'll split you from crown to crotch and see if your guts are as yellow as I think they are!"