http://www.paradoxen...118_albion.html

#222 ThuleanWarrior

ThuleanWarrior

Wasteland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:04 AM

That said, I'm not entirely sure about the TV version of Conan. There is an inherent grandeur to him and his world that seems best served on the big screen. I believe that LOTR could have lived on the small screen, but I can't imagine it would have had the same impact.

Maybe because LotR is a trilogy of novels while Conan is a series of short stories. I think Conan would do much better as direct adaption of the short stories.

#223 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:15 AM

I suspected that the famous picture of Arnold with the Atlantean during one of his Governor meetings was an Albion sword and not an original. I remember an interview with him stating he didn't keep one from the movie, yet on twitter Arnold stated he still has the sword.

The Atlantean Sword is arguably the most recognizable weapon in film history. Arnold Schwarzenegger, star of the film and former Governor of California, bought dozens of the recreated swords from Albion under the previous contract.

I believe the sword below is an Albion.

Posted Image
Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#224 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/833247/exclusive_jason_momoa_confirms_conan_the_barbarian_sequel_plan.html

Exclusive: Jason Momoa confirms Conan The Barbarian sequel plan

The new adaptation of Robert E Howard?s Conan The Barbarian may not be out until August, but star Jason Momoa?s fully prepared for a sequel?

As most of you will know by now, Jason Momoa will soon be taking over from Arnold Schwarzenegger as Robert E Howard's Conan The Barbarian. The first Conan movie since Conan The Destroyer in 1985, director Marcus Nispel reboots the franchise with a great supporting cast, including Stephen Lang, Rose McGowan and Ron Perlman.

In the UK to promote the epic new fantasy drama series, Game Of Thrones (you can read our spoiler-free review of the first episode here), Jason Momoa also spoke of his Conan role in a lively interview, which we'll bring you in full next week.

Candid, garrulous and extremely funny, Momoa spoke enthusiastically of how he won the part, and how making the film left its scars, as well as an enduring hatred of horses. When asked if there would definitely be at least one sequel, meanwhile, his response was an eager, "Oh, yeah."

"There are sequels to everything," Momoa told us. "There's a Fast & Furious seven, isn't there? There's like four Pirates Of The Caribbean."

A follow-up to this August's Conan movie will be largely dependent on box office receipts, of course, but Momoa seems confident that fans of the famous Cimmerian will be happy with this latest big-screen incarnation.

"I got to see a rough cut, and people are going to be stoked," Momoa said. "We're not remaking anything Arnold did. It's a totally new story. The same legendary character. We're taking these tons and tons of great Robert E Howard stories from the 30s, and combining a couple and bringing it to audiences in a way that's new and fresh."

I've read this on other sites, and now on here, and I don't really see it as a confirmation. It seems to me that Momoa is saying "of course there's going to be a sequel, when was the last time you saw a movie without a sequel?", which seems pretty non-commital to me.

DROC

#225 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:45 AM

"I got to see a rough cut, and people are going to be stoked," Momoa said. "We're not remaking anything Arnold did. It's a totally new story. The same legendary character. We're taking these tons and tons of great Robert E Howard stories from the 30s, and combining a couple and bringing it to audiences in a way that's new and fresh."

what.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#226 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:34 AM

what.

Right on, Monk. Considering all the experience movie audiences have watching REH stories, any couple of REH Conan stories will look new and fresh.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#227 Andradir

Andradir

The Mad Batter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

I guess monk is shocked about the words "tons and tons of ... Howard stories".
Which once again shows that none of the filmmakers and especially not the main actor ever read a Howard conan story.

#228 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:32 AM

Which once again shows that none of the filmmakers and especially not the main actor ever read a Howard conan story.

Aw, come on! Momoa stated that he did read the original REH stories in order to prepare for the role. Now he has to be a liar and a fraud? Based on what? A metaphore? People on this board would be complaining if Momoa didn't mention REH. Must we parse every phase, every word, to see whether it measures up to own level of fanboy expertise? Is that really being fair?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#229 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

Aw, come on! Momoa stated that he did read the original REH stories in order to prepare for the role. Now he has to be a liar and a fraud? Based on what? A metaphore? People on this board would be complaining if Momoa didn't mention REH. Must we parse every phase, every word, to see whether it measures up to own level of fanboy expertise? Is that really being fair?

Momoa is aware that Conan had a hairy chest, a detail that even some REH fans seem to have missed, cf the topic on Conan's pilosity: http://www.conan.com...ch=1

Here's a link to the video: http://www.tmz.com/v...e4-43dfff0a421e

Jason Momoa said that Conan was a "drunken hairy animal" in response to the TMZ paparazzo's question regarding his chest hair, and it was an off-the-cuff remark. Not a real interview. If caught unaware at night, half-drunk, he was able to remember that detail -when several REH fans, mislead by the Frazetta imagery, don't know it- then Momo has either: 1) Read the REH yarns. 2) Been coached by someone who knows the stories very well.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#230 Gazonga

Gazonga

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

Momoa said in one of his last interviews, that he hasn't seen the original two movies with Arnold and that he wasn't going to, because he wanted to take the character from the original stories and the script he was given. The guy lives in a house that has no TV and regularly dives down into classical literature. He takes his acting seriously as an art form and goes all the way to explore a character. So you can bet, he went to the Howard stories for inspiration and guidance, because a script can only go so far for an actor.

It's all ok to jump at the movie in spots where it shows a weakness. But jumping at Momoa is just ridicolous. If the movie fails, it will not be because he didn't do all he could.

#231 norse_sage

norse_sage

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

I believe I have read somewhere that Momoa had the REH stories with him on set, and occiasionally read them between takes to get into the proper mood.

#232 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

well let me be the first to say, I was never against Momoa being cast as Conan- I am not a fan of Stargate and am not familiar with his acting but a lot of the other people which seemed to be getting the fans lathered all looked like they belonged on Abercrombie & Fitch bags or riding unicorns. Acting, that can actually improve anyway.

But what tons and tons of REH stories are being combined here. Unless the leaked script got a page one rewrite...? Maybe he means the essence of them all?

I don't think that speaks clearly to anything but a major flaw and poisoning the well, considering the talk of this thread about the sequel.

Of course, we knew that already, that this movie does not reflect anything Howard wrote, really.

He doesn't need to see CtB he's been given a project to work on that draws more from that than anything he's read as far as we can tell. We have almost the exact same plot as delivered in CtB and even CtD- revenge, evil world destroying wizard, blah blah blah.

I don't blame him at all, he's an actor who got a great job.

I feel comfortable making the mild prediction he'll be killing his dad's murderer with the Father's Sword from CtB at the end.

Edited by monk, 13 April 2011 - 05:26 PM.

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#233 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:16 AM

well let me be the first to say, I was never against Momoa being cast as Conan- I am not a fan of Stargate and am not familiar with his acting but a lot of the other people which seemed to be getting the fans lathered all looked like they belonged on Abercrombie & Fitch bags or riding unicorns. Acting, that can actually improve anyway.

But what tons and tons of REH stories are being combined here. Unless the leaked script got a page one rewrite...? Maybe he means the essence of them all?

I don't think that speaks clearly to anything but a major flaw and poisoning the well, considering the talk of this thread about the sequel.

Of course, we knew that already, that this movie does not reflect anything Howard wrote, really.

He doesn't need to see CtB he's been given a project to work on that draws more from that than anything he's read as far as we can tell. We have almost the exact same plot as delivered in CtB and even CtD- revenge, evil world destroying wizard, blah blah blah.

I feel comfortable making the mild prediction he'll be killing his dad's murderer with the Father's Sword from CtB at the end.

"Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery." :D

Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#234 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

"Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery." :D

nice one lol!

#235 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

Sometimes actors get carried along with the EXUBERANCE OF THEIR OWN BOMBASITY! My mum always said that to me?!
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#236 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:22 AM

I was curious, so I reread my little version of FGD. I have to admit, I liked quite a bit of it, but only after remembering why I wrote it in the first place, which was simply to get a feel for the world, and the lyricism of the words, and what it would be like to write 'Conan did this, and Conan did that.' For me, it was a little bit like taking some practice strokes in the pool before reef-diving.

That said, as an individual stand-alone piece, it doesn't work. It's unbalanced and unsatisfying. The narrative is too slim and lacks build. Were I to write it as a short with a real budget and no time constraint, I would put back the opening battle, and the head bonk, probably have a little more back and forth with Atali before the run. I would struggle with Horsa and his dudes, because my filmic sense wouldn't want to bring in characters at the end who don't feel completely necessary. I would probably try to do some version of what I had, which is have Conan come to the realization himself, but I leave open the possibility it wouldn't work.

I will say this though - as an artist, it would not be a particularly interesting assignment, in that it would feel mostly like transcription. But, it would certainly work.

So there.

topped for theagenes, the relevant posts go back a page or two....

#237 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:05 PM

I was curious, so I reread my little version of FGD. I have to admit, I liked quite a bit of it, but only after remembering why I wrote it in the first place, which was simply to get a feel for the world, and the lyricism of the words, and what it would be like to write 'Conan did this, and Conan did that.' For me, it was a little bit like taking some practice strokes in the pool before reef-diving.

That said, as an individual stand-alone piece, it doesn't work. It's unbalanced and unsatisfying. The narrative is too slim and lacks build. Were I to write it as a short with a real budget and no time constraint, I would put back the opening battle, and the head bonk, probably have a little more back and forth with Atali before the run. I would struggle with Horsa and his dudes, because my filmic sense wouldn't want to bring in characters at the end who don't feel completely necessary. I would probably try to do some version of what I had, which is have Conan come to the realization himself, but I leave open the possibility it wouldn't work.

I will say this though - as an artist, it would not be a particularly interesting assignment, in that it would feel mostly like transcription. But, it would certainly work.

So there.

topped for theagenes, the relevant posts go back a page or two....

It's good to see that echorock has an open mind and is receptive to our criticism and that he's being a good sport about it all. B)
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#238 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:58 AM

If the Dirk Blackman (echorock) and Howard McCain script for a Conan sequel were to make it to the silver screen, it would be the best adaptation of an actual Howard story that I have ever had the good fortune to get a look at.

We discussed the script sometime back on this thread, but I recently had a chance to get another look at it. If anything, my admiration has grown. Their take is very respectful of REH, though they have added some material. Mostly action set pieces that don't alter Howard's original story. It's the best Conan script I have seen. That's not a knock on Sean Hood, as he came late to the party for his reworking of the new "Conan." His options were much more limited. Blackman and McCain had the advantage of creating their own work from the get-go. Not to mention starting out with an actual Howard story. Man, I hope the suits at Millennium not only green light it, but leave it the heck alone once they do.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#239 echorock

echorock

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

If the Dirk Blackman (echorock) and Howard McCain script for a Conan sequel were to make it to the silver screen, it would be the best adaptation of an actual Howard story that I have ever had the good fortune to get a look at.

We discussed the script sometime back on this thread, but I recently had a chance to get another look at it. If anything, my admiration has grown. Their take is very respectful of REH, though they have added some material. Mostly action set pieces that don't alter Howard's original story. It's the best Conan script I have seen. That's not a knock on Sean Hood, as he came late to the party for his reworking of the new "Conan." His options were much more limited. Blackman and McCain had the advantage of creating their own work from the get-go. Not to mention starting out with an actual Howard story. Man, I hope the suits at Millennium not only green light it, but leave it the heck alone once they do.

Hey CP - your words are as kind as ever and are much appreciated. I certainly echo your hopes. And I think Sean did a great job and absolutely hope he ends up writing Conan 3 from scratch. :) (maybe Circle? Black River?) I have to admit, I was filled with a great deal of hope at what I've seen so far of C1. Definitely warming to Mamoa and think it looks like it has a lot of scope.

#240 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

Hey CP - your words are as kind as ever and are much appreciated. I certainly echo your hopes. And I think Sean did a great job and absolutely hope he ends up writing Conan 3 from scratch. :) (maybe Circle? Black River?) I have to admit, I was filled with a great deal of hope at what I've seen so far of C1. Definitely warming to Mamoa and think it looks like it has a lot of scope.

You guys have gone and done it! Now I'm getting excited!