• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:30 AM

This call for papers for the 2011 Popular Culture Association Conference was posted by Bill Cavalier over at REHupa.

http://www.rehupa.com/?p=2071

CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR A PROPOSED SESSION ON ROBERT E. HOWARD

AT THE COMBINED SW/TX AND NATIONAL

PCA/ACA CONFERENCE, SAN ANTONIO, TX

APRIL 20-23, 2011

Pulp Studies Area

Robert E. Howard is arguably one of the most influential writers to contribute to the evolution of American fantasy, adventure, western and horror, but he continues to be one of the least-studied contributors to early pulp magazines. His contemporaries H.P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Fritz Leiber and others have received more critical attention though Howard almost single-handedly created the sword-and-sorcery genre that was imitated by C. L. Moore and Fritz Leiber, and continues to influence contemporary writers. Though a number of biographies have chronicled the pulpster?s brief and tragic life, very little analysis of his work has appeared. The recent publication of The Collected Letters of Robert E. Howard by the Robert E. Howard Foundation in three volumes, and the upcoming A Means to Freedom: The Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E . Howard, have set the stage for invigorating Howard scholarship.

The proposed session will consist of 20-minute presentations that discuss Howard?s contributions to the development of the genre of sword-and-sorcery, and may address, but are not limited to, the following themes:

• The evolution of the genre through specific ?series,? including Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, Kull, the Gaelic heroes, El Borak, Conan.
  • Howard?s boxing stories and the concept of manhood.
  • The development of themes in particular series: moral justice in Solomon Kane; racial degradation in Bran Mak Morn; the immorality of civilization in Kull?s Valusia; the barbarism/civilization debate as manifest in the Conan tales; El Borak as a modern barbarian; Howard?s women.
  • The evolution of Howard?s idealized barbarian hero across different series or within a particular character (Kull?s evolution from Am-ra to Kull; Brule and the Picts; Bran Mak Morn and the degenerate Picts; Conan?s manifestations as youth, pirate, and eventually king; El Borak as evolutionary hero).
  • Howard?s horror stories: ?Pigeons from Hell? and other tales. Cthulhu mythos in Howard?s tales.
  • Elements of sword-and-sorcery in Howard?s historical tales and horror tales.
  • Howard?s theory of race and its contribution to the development of the barbarian hero.
  • Howardian influences in other writers such as Leiber?s Lankhmar series and Moore?s Jiril of Jiory.
  • Evolutionary themes in Howard?s work.
  • Howard?s epistolary relationships with other writers.
  • Howard?s influence on later writers such as Robert Jordan.

Please submit 250 word abstracts of proposed papers to: j.everet@usp.edu or dpettipiece@wcupa.edu.

Submission Deadline: November 15, 2010

Barbara Barrett and Amy Kerr presented papers at the PCA 2010 in St. Louis. If someone is willing to walk in their footsteps, it's his/her chance.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#2 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:38 AM

And it's in San Antonio, one of REH's favourite cities. B)

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#3 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

I did this a few years ago, also in San Antonio. I had a GREAT time, and the incredible stack of other panels going on at the event is just amazing. Given how many folks in this group really are experts in some many aspects of REH's writing, I'd hope at least a few of you (and you know who you are) would take the challenge and enjoy this opportunity.

#4 Mark_Hall

Mark_Hall

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

This call for papers for the 2011 Popular Culture Association Conference was posted by Bill Cavalier over at REHupa.

http://www.rehupa.com/?p=2071

CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR A PROPOSED SESSION ON ROBERT E. HOWARD

AT THE COMBINED SW/TX AND NATIONAL

PCA/ACA CONFERENCE, SAN ANTONIO, TX

APRIL 20-23, 2011

Pulp Studies Area

Robert E. Howard is arguably one of the most influential writers to contribute to the evolution of American fantasy, adventure, western and horror, but he continues to be one of the least-studied contributors to early pulp magazines. His contemporaries H.P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Fritz Leiber and others have received more critical attention though Howard almost single-handedly created the sword-and-sorcery genre that was imitated by C. L. Moore and Fritz Leiber, and continues to influence contemporary writers. Though a number of biographies have chronicled the pulpster?s brief and tragic life, very little analysis of his work has appeared. The recent publication of The Collected Letters of Robert E. Howard by the Robert E. Howard Foundation in three volumes, and the upcoming A Means to Freedom: The Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E . Howard, have set the stage for invigorating Howard scholarship.

The proposed session will consist of 20-minute presentations that discuss Howard?s contributions to the development of the genre of sword-and-sorcery, and may address, but are not limited to, the following themes:

• The evolution of the genre through specific ?series,? including Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, Kull, the Gaelic heroes, El Borak, Conan.
  • Howard?s boxing stories and the concept of manhood.
  • The development of themes in particular series: moral justice in Solomon Kane; racial degradation in Bran Mak Morn; the immorality of civilization in Kull?s Valusia; the barbarism/civilization debate as manifest in the Conan tales; El Borak as a modern barbarian; Howard?s women.
  • The evolution of Howard?s idealized barbarian hero across different series or within a particular character (Kull?s evolution from Am-ra to Kull; Brule and the Picts; Bran Mak Morn and the degenerate Picts; Conan?s manifestations as youth, pirate, and eventually king; El Borak as evolutionary hero).
  • Howard?s horror stories: ?Pigeons from Hell? and other tales. Cthulhu mythos in Howard?s tales.
  • Elements of sword-and-sorcery in Howard?s historical tales and horror tales.
  • Howard?s theory of race and its contribution to the development of the barbarian hero.
  • Howardian influences in other writers such as Leiber?s Lankhmar series and Moore?s Jiril of Jiory.
  • Evolutionary themes in Howard?s work.
  • Howard?s epistolary relationships with other writers.
  • Howard?s influence on later writers such as Robert Jordan.

Please submit 250 word abstracts of proposed papers to: j.everet@usp.edu or dpettipiece@wcupa.edu.

Submission Deadline: November 15, 2010

Barbara Barrett and Amy Kerr presented papers at the PCA 2010 in St. Louis. If someone is willing to walk in their footsteps, it's his/her chance.

Actually if you go back to the 2004 program, you had the august company of Rusty Burke, Mark Finn, Paul Herman, Charles Gramlich and others, all in
two action packed sessions.

#5 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

Abstract submitted. B)
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#6 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

Well, Mark Finn and I are in San Antonio and will be giving our papers later today. There are actually two full sessions just on REH. It's really gratifying to see him getting this kind of attention from acadamia. Should be a lot of fun today. Wish us luck!
Jeff

#7 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

You guys going to post your papers someplace visible afterwards?

#8 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

You guys going to post your papers someplace visible afterwards?

The tentative plan is to publish all the pulp studies papers in a collected volume edited by Justin and Deidre, but we'll see.

#9 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

Jeff,
Two sessions on REH this year is good news. That's twice as many as last year. If there are more REH papers submitted this year for the PCA/ACA Conference, there could even be more sessions next year. The real problem with submitting papers is that with airline, hotel and PCA/ACA fees it can get pretty expensive.

Best wishes to you and Mark on your presentations today. Many thanks to you and Mark as well as Deirdre and Justin for holding up the REH banner this year. Enjoy San Antonio!
BB

#10 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

The siege of the Ivory Tower continues unabated!

#11 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

The siege of the Ivory Tower continues unabated!

I though it went really well. We didn't have a huge audience outside of the "pulp studies" folks, but all the papers were very good I thought. Mark's was on the humor stories and their importance to REH canon, Deirdre did hers on Jack London and Howard, Justin's was on El Borak and T.E. Lawrence, and there were a couple of grad students who gave two good papers. One was on Steve Costigan and masculinity and the other was on REH and Hungary (looking at Lost Valley of Iskander, Shadow of the Vulture, and The Black Stone. Good stuff and lots of great discussion afterwards over beers.

#12 Dan N.

Dan N.

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:16 AM

I was one of the grad students presenting at the conference. Mine was the paper about REH and Hungary. I can't say thanks enough for this opportunity. When I saw the call for papers on REHupa, I thought to myself, "So 'They' want me to go to conferences, huh? Well, here's a conference I could go to!" I admit I threw my hat into the ring without knowing exactly what to expect, but I couldn't have hoped for a better experience. Everyone was welcoming and encouraging. This is the first time I ever got to sit down and talk at length and depth with people who really know Robert E. Howard, and it felt great. I don't want to start waxing all "poetical," but, to borrow a common expression, it felt like coming home. It was even better that we got a chance to chat not only in the conference setting but around some drinks. I do hope the stars align and I can come back again next year. I already have some ideas about papers. And I'm really hoping I have the chance to find a way to get down to Cross Plains in June so I can really REH it up at the Robert E. Howard Days.

#13 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

I was one of the grad students presenting at the conference. Mine was the paper about REH and Hungary. I can't say thanks enough for this opportunity. When I saw the call for papers on REHupa, I thought to myself, "So 'They' want me to go to conferences, huh? Well, here's a conference I could go to!" I admit I threw my hat into the ring without knowing exactly what to expect, but I couldn't have hoped for a better experience. Everyone was welcoming and encouraging. This is the first time I ever got to sit down and talk at length and depth with people who really know Robert E. Howard, and it felt great. I don't want to start waxing all "poetical," but, to borrow a common expression, it felt like coming home. It was even better that we got a chance to chat not only in the conference setting but around some drinks. I do hope the stars align and I can come back again next year. I already have some ideas about papers. And I'm really hoping I have the chance to find a way to get down to Cross Plains in June so I can really REH it up at the Robert E. Howard Days.

Hi Dan! Glad to see you posting here. It was great to meet you and your paper was excellent. Mark and I were both very impressed. You should definitely try to find a way to make it to Howard Days - it's a great experience. This year in particular would be a good time to go since it's the anniversary and there will be a lot of folks there. If you enjoyed our sitting around talking REH over beers at PCA, then Howard Days will make your head explode! :D
Jeff

#14 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

More grand adventurers making their trek to the homeland! B)

#15 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:26 AM

More grand adventurers making their trek to the homeland! B)

I heard a rumor that there might even be a wild Scotsman showing up again this year.

#16 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:52 AM

Cool on you, Dan! B) Way to step up to the plate. There's really no experience to compare with Howard Days as far as REH badinage is concerned.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#17 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

If you enjoyed our sitting around talking REH over beers at PCA, then Howard Days will make your head explode! :D
Jeff

Slanderous lies! Sober gentility is the order of the day at HD.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#18 Dan N.

Dan N.

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Well, so much for my enthusiasm. :lol:

Edited by Dan N., 25 April 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#19 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

If you enjoyed our sitting around talking REH over beers at PCA, then Howard Days will make your head explode! :D
Jeff

I think we may need to see what dictionary Deuce is using for "sober gentility". Oh, I suppose it's a TEXAS dictionary . . .

#20 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

>Excerpted from Tex's Texas Dictionary (the good parts version)<

Sober gentility -- When only half the alcohol of a county is consumed... in one day.

Tex
(who couldn't resist)