9 replies to this topic

#1 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

I was just checking out the Wikipedia entry for the Thurian Age and it's terrible!

http://en.wikipedia....e-hyborianage-0

"The main continent is called Thuria." Really?

"After the cataclysm, the Pictish Islands rose to form the mountains of what would be the Americas. The Picts of the islands would become the Native Americans." Ack!
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

Not surprised. Posted Image

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

The Hyborian Age entry isn't a whole lot better, but at least the term "Hyboria" has been expunged.

#4 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

I couldn't stand it anymore so I made some changes.

#5 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, Jeff. B)

This part is still problematic:

"A chain islands far to the west of the Thurian continent and Atlantis. Due to raiding expeditions, they have colonies on the Thurian continent itself. They have an ancient feud with the Atlanteans.After the cataclysm, the Pictish Islands rose to form the mountains of what would be the Americas. The Picts of the islands would become the Native Americans. The Picts of the Thurian continent fell further into barbarism but remained stable, neither evolving or devolving as other societies had. At first their society held, despite reverting to the stone age, but a war with the surviving Atlanteans halted any advances they would have made. They would become the savage Picts of the Pictish Wilderness on the west coast of the Hyborian realms in the Conan the Barbarian stories[1] and the more degenerate Picts of Britain in the Bran Mak Morn stories[4] and real history.
"

Also, I love how Farsun and Zarfhaana are ignored, but there are entries on Thule etc about which we know virtually nothing.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#6 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Oops, I thought I deleted the sentence about Native Americans, but I guess I forgot to save the changes. I've done so now. I've also documented my reasons for the edits on the discussion page in case there's any question. The page definately needs more work, but I wanted to at least take care of those agregious problems.

#7 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Oops, I thought I deleted the sentence about Native Americans, but I guess I forgot to save the changes. I've done so now. I've also documented my reasons for the edits on the discussion page in case there's any question. The page definately needs more work, but I wanted to at least take care of those agregious problems.

Yeah, after reading through it a few more times, there are subtle (yet major, in their way) inaccuracies in almost every section.

Like this:

Due to raiding expeditions, they have colonies on the Thurian continent itself.

No corroboration by REH. All indicators point to the Picts having been settled as foederati by Valusia.

They have an ancient feud with the Atlanteans.After the cataclysm, the Pictish Islands rose to form the mountains of what would be the Americas.

"Americas"? A better wording would be "now found in the western US and Canada (ie, the Rockies, Cascades etc.)".
There is no indication that the Sunset Isles extended further south than the Baja Peninsula.

I also like how the Lemurians/Hyrkanians became ancestors of the Pashtuns. Really? According to REH? Posted Image

#8 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Yeah, after reading through it a few more times, there are subtle (yet major, in their way) inaccuracies in almost every section.

Like this:

Due to raiding expeditions, they have colonies on the Thurian continent itself.

No corroboration by REH. All indicators point to the Picts having been settled as foederati by Valusia.

They have an ancient feud with the Atlanteans.After the cataclysm, the Pictish Islands rose to form the mountains of what would be the Americas.

"Americas"? A better wording would be "now found in the western US and Canada (ie, the Rockies, Cascades etc.)".
There is no indication that the Sunset Isles extended further south than the Baja Peninsula.

I also like how the Lemurians/Hyrkanians became ancestors of the Pashtuns. Really? According to REH? Posted Image

Lol, and looking at the edit history it appears someone edited it specifically to add Pashtuns.

The Kull entry has a lot of similar problems. I get the impression that the original poster was taking most of his info from the comics, not thed reh stories.

#9 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

Just rechecked. What's going on? A pitiable stub. Dale Rippke is the only cited source, but not Kings of the Night?

#10 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

It looks like the original page was deleted and some of the material moved to the Kull page. But now someone has started a new Thurian Age page. Probably not a bad idea, since the other one was such a mess, but the Kull page is pretty crappy too and really needs fixing. Dale's date for the Great Cataclysm is just speculation and should not be treated as fact. As you say the only solid date we have from REH is the 100,000 years ago from KotN and also the unpublished list of characters w/dates which says 100,000 BC for Kull.