52 replies to this topic

#41 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:58 AM

My copy of The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia (2008) lists the following stories featuring the Book of Skelos...

by REH (duh)
Black Colossus
The Hour of the Dragon
The Pool of the Black One

by REH and Lin Carter
The Hand of Nergal

by Carter and de Camp
Conan the Buccaneer

For some reason, it fails to mention a Mythos-specific story featuring the book.

Deuce, which one did you find?

Tex
(thinking he blew big bucks on a novelty mythos reference book)

#42 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

My copy of The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia (2008) lists the following stories featuring the Book of Skelos...

by REH (duh)
Black Colossus
The Hour of the Dragon
The Pool of the Black One

by REH and Lin Carter
The Hand of Nergal

by Carter and de Camp
Conan the Buccaneer

For some reason, it fails to mention a Mythos-specific story featuring the book.

Hey Tex! I think Harms' book is a good one (though I dislike the mentions of RPG stuff). The 1st edition in '95 was a godsend for sorting out who came up with what and figuring out obscure references.

Deuce, which one did you find?

Tex
(thinking he blew big bucks on a novelty mythos reference book)

I used Jarocha-Ernst's "Concordance" and found out that Crispin Burnham mentioned the Book in one tale. Since I consider Burnham one of the worst Mythos writers out there, I won't try to find it.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#43 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the reminder of the Jarocha-Ernst "Concordance," Deuce! I now remember I had one before Katrina (obviously, this is my cue to grab a replacement copy.)

Back on topic...

Since we've got the literary appearances of Skelos' books covered, does anyone want to take a swing at the appearances in graphic form?

Tex
(this topic has now cost me about $24 :D )

#44 Halfdane

Halfdane

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

70 metal books found in cave in Jordan

How could this not make one recall Skelos? I'm glad that there is [apparently] a historical basis for Iron-Bound books! Sooooo awesome that some of them are even bound SHUT.

Does anybody know about the reputation of this site as a news source?

#45 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

70 metal books found in cave in Jordan

How could this not make one recall Skelos? I'm glad that there is [apparently] a historical basis for Iron-Bound books! Sooooo awesome that some of them are even bound SHUT.

Does anybody know about the reputation of this site as a news source?

There are so many red flags here I don't even know where to start.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#46 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

That didn't take long. A quick google search revealed that are indeed fakes and not even good ones at that. Here's one of many sites that points this out:

http://derrenbrown.c...istian-history/

Still, they look cool. B)

I suspect, however, that when Howard said iron-bound, he meant something like this:

http://www.bookclasp...rs/numbers3.jpg
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#47 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

Possible source of the name Skelos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERitvFYpAk

The Epitaph was discovered in 1883 by Sir W.M. Ramsay. The stone had been placed in a museum in Smyrna where it remained until the city was destroyed during the Greco-Turkish War (1919-1922), but was lost. Later it was found in the possession of a Turkish woman who had had the base ground down so it would serve as a support for a pot in her garden. While the stele would now stand upright, the grinding had obliterated the last line of the epitaph. The marble stele is now located in the National Museum of Denmark (Nationalmuseet), in Copenhagen.

#48 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

Possible source of the name Skelos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERitvFYpAk

The Epitaph was discovered in 1883 by Sir W.M. Ramsay. The stone had been placed in a museum in Smyrna where it remained until the city was destroyed during the Greco-Turkish War (1919-1922), but was lost. Later it was found in the possession of a Turkish woman who had had the base ground down so it would serve as a support for a pot in her garden. While the stele would now stand upright, the grinding had obliterated the last line of the epitaph. The marble stele is now located in the National Museum of Denmark (Nationalmuseet), in Copenhagen.

Very cool! Some nice digging there, Mr. K. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#49 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Thanks. The rediscovery would have been in the news about Howard's time.

#50 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

What a wonderful discover, my friend! Thank you very much, Kortoso. I'm very glad to hear, by the first time in my life, authentic Ancient Greek Music! :)

#51 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

Slightly off-topic, but I don't think Skelos would mind, since it keeps his cult alive:

http://www.skelospre.../p/catalog.html

The zombie book rocks, BTW.  B)

#52 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

She escapes...

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Very interesting topic, Guys.

Thanks for all your quotes, info and ideas.

> Skelos is a brilliantly simple name [by REH ] for a very ancient powerful Sorcerer and writer of several different History books.
Copies of his Books about natural wildlife, maps and geography, histories of Atlantis and other civilisations,
would be available in many libraries of kings, top rich scholars, high priests, and ofcourse Sorcerers.
Conan would have read some of these history books. Maybe he even stole some of them? And later, as King, he would have easy access to all these books of Skelos. And the High Priests of Asura, or Mitra, could have let the King view some of the secret books, too? [see below]
[ i like to think that a King of Atlantis commissioned Skelos to write these history books to educate himself and his knowledge hungry jaded civilisation? ]

But only a few copies/or parts of the Secret Skelos books about secret dangerous powers [demons and supernatural] , and powerful spells
would exist in the world of Conan.
These would be hidden and guarded deep under the main Temple of Mitra, and in several other similar lairs of Religion and Sorcerers.
[ examples: the cults of Set, Asura, and Thoth Amon, and Pelias would have access to these secret books of power ]
But these secret books would probably be writ in the coded secret language of sorcerers.
Conan may have viewed the images in 1 of these Secret tomes, but he could not have read/understood the text by himself.

Hope this speculation is helpful to RPG players, too?
:)

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#53 RikJohnson

RikJohnson

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

"And why are those books iron-bound? Simply to protect them from wear? Or protect the unwary user from its contents or even the demons that he unwittingly could conjure?"

It is tradition that the Fey (fairies) could not stand the touch of iron.

Perhaps Howard was using iron-bound to prevent the demons invoked from taking or destroying the grimoires.