Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:09 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

KULL: THE HATE WITCH #4 (of 4)

David Lapham (W), Gabriel Guzman (P), Mariano Taibo (I), Dan Jackson ©, Tom Fleming (Cover), and Fabio Cobiaco (Cover)

On sale Feb 23
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Miniseries

Kull?s pursuit of the black-hearted witch Heka-La?a shady character from his past who threatens to destroy mankind?will bring the fierce warrior to the brink. Having traversed the deadly terrain of Atlantis, Kull must retain his strength to kill the Hate Witch and her band of wraiths prior to returning to the City of Wonders?the Mighty Valusia?before it?s overcome by war.

? From Stray Bullets creator David Lapham!

? From Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan!

? Witness barbarian King Kull in a bloody showdown!

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:53 AM

The Fleming cover is pretty good. What is up with Cobiaco? :blink:

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

I just have to ask - did Kull really just kill a bunch of ravens with a gigantic axe?

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#4 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:57 AM

I just have to ask - did Kull really just kill a bunch of ravens with a gigantic axe?

No wonder he looks exhausted and ticked-off.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#5 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:32 AM

I'm just saying, an axe isn't exactly the sort of weapon I'd think of to battle small feathery fiends. Heck, grabbing them with his hands and squeezing would be more economical...

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#6 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

Maybe they're reaping his harvest. They like carrion.

#7 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

After reading this last issue, I can tell you the ravens are connected to the Hate Witch as if they're part of her. She commands them, and I believe they're like evil spirits (iirc from issue 1). Overall, not a bad series. I enjoyed it for what it was.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#8 Skullface

Skullface

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:34 AM

I just bought the cover rough from Fleming.
Met him at Megacon....he was very nice,he got my email and sent me an ebay link to the listing for the cover rough.I think he still had the painted cover for sale if any of you guys have a few grand just sitting around.
I will post a picture when it gets here.

#9 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

I finally ended up picking up the mini during a sale. From this I see why David and Gabriel got the go ahead to continue with Kull, the work overall was quite good. It was the story itself I have a problem with. I'm using a word a lot recently when it comes to Howard projects: unnecessary. Here were four issues basically spent on having Kull go back to Atlantis instead of doing an adaptation (apart from the little bit of Exile of Atlantis). The Kull series at the end of Shadow Kingdom needed to be pulled closer to Howard, not veer further away and having older verisons of Gor-Na & Am-ra pop up isn't what I had in mind.

As I was reading the part about the war with Thule which is continued in the current mini, I thought up what I wish could've been done instead: a 3 or 4 issue version of Mirrors of Tuzun Thune. This way the story is short enough to need some enhancment, so all those plotlines could've been advanced. But it could've also been used to exploit stories like Exile and Curse of the Golden Skull, using them as some of the visions of what Kull is seeing. Yeah, it's not what Howard had in mind, but it's a perfectly legitimate way to use the conceit of the base story to work with other material. Then at the end, after Kull returns to the kingdom, the war is breaking out, you're right where the HW left off and you've done a whole bunch of Howard too. Water under the bridge, I know. It's just part of the larger problem of trying to do Howard without actually using Howard.

#10 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I finally ended up picking up the mini during a sale. From this I see why David and Gabriel got the go ahead to continue with Kull, the work overall was quite good. It was the story itself I have a problem with. I'm using a word a lot recently when it comes to Howard projects: unnecessary. Here were four issues basically spent on having Kull go back to Atlantis instead of doing an adaptation (apart from the little bit of Exile of Atlantis). The Kull series at the end of Shadow Kingdom needed to be pulled closer to Howard, not veer further away and having older verisons of Gor-Na & Am-ra pop up isn't what I had in mind.

As I was reading the part about the war with Thule which is continued in the current mini, I thought up what I wish could've been done instead: a 3 or 4 issue version of Mirrors of Tuzun Thune. This way the story is short enough to need some enhancment, so all those plotlines could've been advanced. But it could've also been used to exploit stories like Exile and Curse of the Golden Skull, using them as some of the visions of what Kull is seeing. Yeah, it's not what Howard had in mind, but it's a perfectly legitimate way to use the conceit of the base story to work with other material. Then at the end, after Kull returns to the kingdom, the war is breaking out, you're right where the HW left off and you've done a whole bunch of Howard too. Water under the bridge, I know. It's just part of the larger problem of trying to do Howard without actually using Howard.

Not having bought the mini, how are Atlantis and Thule portrayed? Since there is no "The Thurian Age" essay, many writers (Arvid foremost) seem to think that just about everything is "wide open" when such is definitely not the case. I found out from corresponding with Nelson that he hadn't even read fundamental yarns such as Men of the Shadows and Isle of the Eons. That definitely showed in the finished product. <_<

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#11 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

Not having bought the mini, how are Atlantis and Thule portrayed? Since there is no "The Thurian Age" essay, many writers (Arvid foremost) seem to think that just about everything is "wide open" when such is definitely not the case. I found out from corresponding with Nelson that he hadn't even read fundamental yarns such as Men of the Shadows and Isle of the Eons. That definitely showed in the finished product. <_<

I think Lapham generally got it correct, Atlantis is basically just a wilderness populated by tribes. He does have Kull's parents die in "a" flood, but presumably not "the" flood, possibly just foreshadowing of sorts. And there's the "lost city" where the Hate Witch lives, that's probably the most questionable element I see, but it only appears in the final issue. Apart from those parts, overall I didn't see it clashing with the Atlantis from Exile and Men of the Shadows (have to get my hands on Isle of the Eons someday). So again: sticking to Howard, they generally get it right. Going off on their own, it's open to debate.

Thule gets mentioned in regards to a subplot that's carried over into Cat & the Skull, namely the war, but nothing takes place there. Did Howard ever mention Thule outside of the Hyborian Age? I think Grondar is the only one outside of Valusia to appear in the Kull stories and HA

Edited by johnnypt, 12 November 2011 - 11:00 PM.