537 replies to this topic

#1 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

I am currently working on the animated Frost Giants Daughter and I was hoping for some creative criticism on Atali's Hair. here are the samples

Atali's animated hair effect

or

red/blonde

I would appreciate any and all feedback

Thanks

Edited by Cuchulain, 16 November 2010 - 09:06 PM.

#2 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:14 AM

Probably a bit too much on the red side. Should be a sort of reddish golden, neither exactly blonde or red-head.

#3 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

Probably a bit too much on the red side. Should be a sort of reddish golden, neither exactly blonde or red-head.

Thanks for the feedback. you mean something like this
lighter red

#4 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:10 AM

lighter red

Yep, that's more like it. I do like the changing effect, keeping it on the lighter side might give it more of the shimmering effect.

#5 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

lighter red

Yep, that's more like it. I do like the changing effect, keeping it on the lighter side might give it more of the shimmering effect.

Thanks for the input, I will put another animated effect with the new colors.

#6 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:40 AM

A little bigger boobs, not Fernando style or anything. ;)
Rounder cheekbones; not so elvish looking.
Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#7 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:10 AM

you really want her with black eyes after the running she does from Conan? :lol: but really, any bigger and we would have to call it Hyborian baywatch :D

Thanks for the feedback and I will give her a touch up before the final movie is rendered. Hopefully to mostly everyones liking

#8 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:44 AM

you really want her with black eyes after the running she does from Conan? :lol: but really, any bigger and we would have to call it Hyborian baywatch :D

Thanks for the feedback and I will give her a touch up before the final movie is rendered. Hopefully to mostly everyones liking

Just a little bigger.:D

#9 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

I have to disagree. Atali has the appearance of a young maiden. She has to look convincing as someone who can run over the snow for hours. And I think her face should look kind of elvish, not saftig and sensuous. She should be built like a dancer, and I don't mean burlesque, and look not quite human.

Edited by Ironhand, 16 November 2010 - 09:41 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#10 Rufus

Rufus

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

I think the redder golden hair will be a nice contrast to the alabaster skin tone and snow scape background, so the original?s good to go IMHO. Nice work!

#11 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

@Ironhands- those are a lot of good points

@Rufus- Thanks. about the hair, so the bright, redder hair before the change? I guess I delete the other ones to soon and I will put them back up

#12 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

I have updated the links in the first post to show the 2 different colors. the red/ Blonde link is the original color

#13 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

I have to disagree. Atali has the appearance of a young maiden. She has to look convincing as someone who can run over the snow for hours. And I think her face should look kind of elvish, not saftig and sensuous. She should be built like a dancer, and I don't mean burlesque, and look not quite human.

I don't think you should be so technical about it. Atali represents our deepest desires; she is everything to everybody. She is the temptress that makes us slay giants. I would not slay giants to get to an elf, but you might, and that's okay.

She has to look convincing as someone who can run over the snow for hours.

She is a mystical being why does this matter?

Edited by Seamvs, 17 November 2010 - 05:36 AM.

#14 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:16 AM

My thoughts right now are: 1) perhaps try to get the hair a bit more consistent -- right now she looks a little bit like a blonde with red-dye'd streaks; 2) maybe work with a less bright shade of red?

Here are some images I googled looking under 'red gold' and 'red gold hair'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:31 AM

My thoughts right now are: 1) perhaps try to get the hair a bit more consistent -- right now she looks a little bit like a blonde with red-dye'd streaks; 2) maybe work with a less bright shade of red?

Here are some images I googled looking under 'red gold' and 'red gold hair'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for the advice, The reason for the brighter shade was because of the line "Your Locks blind me with their brightness" but I will toy with some other colors and effects to blind Conan with ;)

#16 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:50 AM

you mean like this?
Atali

#17 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:03 AM

She has to look convincing as someone who can run over the snow for hours.

She is a mystical being why does this matter?

If she were saftig and sensuous, she would look comical running over the snow. She has to look good while she's running, and she has to make it look easy.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#18 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

Now that her hair is getting better, I also think that to look really Nordic, her skin should be paler, and her lips and nipples should look paler and pinker.

#19 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

Now that her hair is getting better, I also think that to look really Nordic, her skin should be paler, and her lips and nipples should look paler and pinker.

I did some tweaking to her nipples and skin tone. her is the photo
skin tone/nipple tweak

Was this about what you were talking about? I want to keep the lips a bit on the red side as they were described in the story.

#20 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

A couple quotes regarding Atali's physique:

..her ivory body was as perfect as the dream of a god...

He had thought only for the slender white shape which seemed to float rather than run before him...

Her lithe body bent backward as she fought with desperate frenzy in his iron arms. Her golden hair blew about his face, blinding him with its sheen; the feel of her slender body twisting in his mailed arms drove him to blinder madness. His strong fingers sank deep into her smooth flesh

So Atali is most often described as "slender," though her skin is "soft" and "smooth." However, that doesn't necessarily preclude curvaceousness, just general mass. She isn't Christina Hendricks, basically.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!