#121 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

Free Companion Mercenary Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Alternate theories:

Two possibilities that I do not like to acknowledge as they would contradict this chronology:
Conan has a chance to read the books of Skelos aboard The Wastrel in The Pool of the Black One. Making The Pool of the Black One before The Devil in Iron if you believe those moldy tomes are the iron-bound books of Skelos.

“Into the west, unknown of man,
Ships have sailed since the world began.
Read, if you dare, what Skelos wrote,
With dead hands fumbling his silken coat;
And follow the ships through the wind-blown wrack –
Follow the ships that come not back."

- The Pool of the Black One

“The men murmured, though they did not let their murmurings reach the ears of their implacable master, who tramped the poop day and night in gloomy majesty, or pored over ancient charts and time-yellowed maps, reading in tomes that were crumbling masses of worm-eaten parchment. At times he talked to Sancha, wildly it seemed to her, of lost continents, and fabulous isles dreaming unguessed amidst the blue foam of nameless gulfs, where horned dragons guarded treasures gathered by pre-human kings, long, long ago.” - The Pool of the Black One

“Zaporavo had his reasons for wishing to go alone. He desired to learn if this island were indeed that mentioned in the mysterious Book of Skelos, whereon, nameless sages aver, strange monsters guard crypts filled with hieroglyph-carven gold.” - The Pool of the Black One

“Recognition stirred in his mind. This snake was evidently meant to represent one of those grim monsters of the marsh which in past ages had haunted the reedy edges of Vilayet’s southern shores. But, like the golden leopard, they had been extinct for hundreds of years. Conan had seen rude images of them, in miniature, among the idol-huts of the Yuetshi, and there was a description of them in the Book of Skelos, which drew on prehistoric sources.”– The Devil in Iron

Argument for: never is it mentioned anywhere in the stories where Conan had seen the book of Skelos, this may provide that opportunity. The book of Skelos that Conan viewed showed cryptozoological beasts in sort of a bestiary. From the inferences in Pool Zaporavo definitely read the book of Skelos and he talks of dragons and says the book mentions strange monsters.

Argument against: It is a big supposition that the parchment tomes aboard The Wastrel were the books of Skelos or copies of them, that Conan would be able to read them at all if they were in whatever language that they were written in (he may have just looked at the pictures), that Conan if he did read or understand them or even guessed at their content would not have tried to secure whatever treasure Zaporavo was after for himself after dispatching him (that is his sole purpose taking over the ship in following him), that Howard would have left out Conan reading the books in the story if that is what they really are, and that Conan would not have mentioned it elsewhere. Plus all of the evidence for placing The Devil in Iron and The Pool of the Black One where I have would be contradictory.

“When Conan saw Zaporavo stalk alone into the woodland, he felt that the chance he had watched for had come. He had eaten no fruit, nor joined in the horse-play of his mates; all his faculties were occupied with watching the buccaneer chief. Accustomed to Zaporavo’s moods, his men were not particularly surprised that their captain should choose to explore an unknown and probably hostile isle alone. They turned to their own amusement, and did not notice Conan when he glided like a stalking panther after the chieftain.
Conan did not underrate his dominance of the crew. But he had not gained the right, through battle and foray, to challenge the captain to a duel to the death. In these empty seas there had been no opportunity for him to prove himself according to Freebooter law. The crew would stand solidly against him if he attacked the chieftain openly. But he knew that if he killed Zaporavo without their knowledge, the leaderless crew would not be likely to be swayed by loyalty to a dead man. IN such wolf-packs only the living counted.
So he followed Zaporavo with sword in hand and eagerness in his heart…”
– The Pool of the Black One

When confronted Zaporavo does not attempt to persuade Conan in getting the treasure together to betray him at a later date and does not mention it at all. It seems that Conan is unaware of it also and the reason both men fight is for dominance of the ship and crew that is implied.

“’Dog, why do you follow me?’ ‘Are you mad, to ask?’ laughed Conan, coming swiftly toward his erstwhile chief.” – The Pool of the Black One

“‘What now?’ faltered the girl. ‘The plunder of the seas!’ he laughed.” – The Pool of the Black One

“We’re bound for waters where the seaports are fat, and the merchant ships are crammed with plunder!” – The Pool of the Black One

I think Zaporavo somehow got a peek at the books of Skelos and then searched out moldering tomes and maps to correspond with what he had seen and left on a fool’s errand to find a treasure without the source of such legendry at hand to reference, and that the mystery of where Conan saw the books of Skelos is still a mystery because he didn’t see them on The Wastrel.

The second possibility that forced me to change my lineup is the question of where Conan got the red silk breeks in The Servants of Bit-Yakin.

“His only garment was a pair of short red silk breeks, and his sandals were slung to his back, out of his way, as were his sword and dagger.” - The Servants of Bit-Yakin

Breeks is the Scottish term for breeches meaning knee-length pants.

Conan is always described as wearing silk breeks or silk breeches in all of his pirate tales. He is wearing them shortly after a stint with The Red Brotherhood on the Vilayet Sea in The Devil in Iron. He is wearing them after a stint with the Barachans prior to The Servants of Bit-Yakin. He is wearing them again after being a Barachan pirate when he boards The Wastrel in The Pool of the Black One. He is wearing them after being sunk as a Zingaran Buccaneer before and during Red Nails. And he is wearing them when he resumes piracy at the end of The Black Stranger. The only time he is not wearing them is when he is in armor at the beginning and during his adventures with the Black Corsairs during Queen of the Black Coast (possibly showing his naivety, as a man in armor who goes overboard will surely drown before he can remove it), and when he is stripped of his armor then shanghaied aboard The Venturer in The Hour of the Dragon.

Originally I had intended this outline in its simplistic form before adding the unfinished tales and the non-published in Howard’ lifetime stories to appear like this:

1. The Tower of the Elephant
2. Rogues in the House
4. Black Colossus
6. A Witch Shall be Born
7. The Man-Eaters of Zamboula
3. Queen of the Black Coast
10. Xuthal of the Dusk
13. The Servants of Bit-Yakin
5. Iron Shadows in the Moon

8. The Devil in Iron
9. People of the Black Circle
11. The Pool of the Black One
12. Red Nails
14. Beyond the Black River
15. The Phoenix on the Sword
16. The Scarlet Citadel
17. The Hour of the Dragon

With the other stories added:

The Frost-Giant's Daughter: armor
The God in the Bowl: loin-cloth
1. The Tower of the Elephant: loin-cloth, tunic
The Nestor Synopsis: ?
2. Rogues in the House: loin-cloth
The Yaralet Fragment: loin-cloth
4.Black Colossus: armor
6. A Witch Shall be Born: armor
7. The Man-Eaters of Zamboula: loin-cloth
3.Queen of the Black Coast: armor
The Shumballa Typescripts: armor
The Tombalku Typescripts: ?
The Vale of Lost Women: leopard loin-cloth
13. The Servants of Bit-Yakin: red silk breeks
10. Xuthal of the Dusk: loin-cloth
5. Iron Shadows in the Moon: loin-cloth
8. The Devil in Iron: red silk breeks
9. People of the Black Circle: Hillman garb
11. The Pool of the Black One: red silk breeks
12. Red Nails: silk breeks
14. Beyond the Black River: silk breeks
The Black Stranger:loin-cloth, white silk breeks
Wolves Beyond the Border Typescripts: ?
15. The Phoenix on the Sword: armor
16. The Scarlet Citadel: armor
17. The Hour of the Dragon: armor, leather breeks and tunic, disguises

But I could not figure out where he would have gotten the silk breeks associated with piracy (not corsairs) prior to any mention of piracy. Making the first mention of piracy in The Servants of Bit-Yakin when it says he was late of the Barachan Isles. I did not think that his time as a Barachan pirate was prior to his time as a pirate on the Vilayet Sea. He has silk breeks after Iron Shadows in the Moon at the start of The Devil in Iron but is not wearing them in People of the Black Circle wearing hillman garb. I did not think that The Servants of Bit-Yakin came after Red Nails because of the reasons I have specified. I also think that he did make it to the coast with Valeria without losing her on the way to go to be sidetracked on another adventure, making a name for himself as one of the greatest scourges of the sea (the other being Valeria, plus whatever other notable pirates), he definitely was not recognized as such at the beginning of The Pool of the Black One. Maybe it is the romantic in me but I imagine he had quite a time during his exploits with Valeria as a captain of the Barachan pirates.

“Who of all the sea-folk had not heard the wild, bloody tales told of Conan, the wild rover who had once been a captain of the Barachan pirates, and one of the greatest scourges of the sea? A score of ballads celebrated his ferocious and audacious exploits.”- The Black Stranger

I wanted to keep the tales in the black countries mostly together (excluding Red Nails) even though in the stories themselves he travels back to Hyborian nations at the beginning of several of them. The question for me then came down to when was he a Barachan pirate? We know that he was at the start of The Pool of the Black One. But when did this period of piracy start? So I surmised that he was a Barachan pirate after returning from the far east in People of the Black Circle. Hearing of the Jewels of Gwahlur a fabled treasure that “outshone the hoard of the Turanian kings” (which he could compare having raided Turan for years) and “would make its possessor the richest man in the world” he makes up his mind to forego piracy for the moment and plunge into the jungles in search of them. After losing them “for ever from the sight of man” he returns to resume his piracy among the Barachans prior to The Pool of the Black Ones.

“Equally nebulous were the tales of the Teeth of Gwahlur, the treasure of Alkmeenon. But these misty legends had been enough to bring Conan to Keshan, over vast distances of plain, river-laced jungle, and mountains.” – The Servants of Bit-Yakin

He had found Keshan, which in itself was considered mythical by many northern and western nations, and he had heard enough to confirm the rumors of the treasure that men called the Teeth of Gwahlur.

If you care not at all where he got the red silk breeks or think he kept them from the Vilayet and was wearing them under the hillman garb from People of the Black Circle, I stick by my first line up as plausible. I obviously didn’t think that was the case however. Imagine my chagrin that I felt forced to change the order because of one word, “breeks”.

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 14 January 2011 - 07:31 AM.

If life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. Queen of the Black Coast 1934 Robert E. Howard

Amra's The Chronicles of Conan The Cimmerian: Determining the chronological order of Howard's Conan Tales

#122 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Conan’s career of piracy:

1. Chief of the Black Corsairs in Queen of the Black Coast aboard The Tigress on the western ocean. Ends with The Tigress burned.
2. Pirate Captain of The Red Brotherhood sailing the Vilayet Sea in a Hyrkanian galley, in Iron Shadows in the Moon and the period after. Ends with the joining of the pirates and the Kozaki to harass the Turanians.
3. Barachan Pirate prior to the events of The Servants of Bit-Yakin.
4. Barachan Pirate after his trip to Punt and at the beginning of The Pool of the Black One. Ends with Conan leaving Tortage by night in a leaky boat.
5. Zingaran Buccaneer Captain aboard The Wastrel in the western ocean, after the events of The Pool of the Black One. Ends with The Wastrel sunk by Zingarans.
6. Barachan Pirate Captain after the events of Red Nails. Ends with the sinking of his ship off a reefy coast.
7. Barachan Pirate Captain on The Red Hand sailing the western ocean, after the events of The Black Stranger. Ends with Conan becoming a mercenary general for the Aquilonians.
8. Brief return to the life of piracy as the Chief of the Black Corsairs on board the Argossean galley The Venturer on the western ocean, during The Hour of the Dragon. Ends to resume his mission to regain his kingdom.

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 15 January 2011 - 07:04 PM.

If life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. Queen of the Black Coast 1934 Robert E. Howard

Amra's The Chronicles of Conan The Cimmerian: Determining the chronological order of Howard's Conan Tales

#123 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Conan's Naval Shipyard:

The Argus: Striped sailed, high prowed, broad-waisted Argossean galley - Queen of the Black Coast
The Tigress: slender serpentine with raised deck dragon-prowed war-galley - Queen of the Black Coast
Boat - Iron Shadows in the Moon
Hyrkanian galley - Iron Shadows in the Moon
Bigger (fine) ships - as a Barachan Pirate mentioned in Red Nails
Leaky boat - The Pool of the Black One
The Wastrel: Zingaran ship with canopied poop deck - The Pool of the Black One
Ship that is sunk (shattered hull ship) - The Black Stranger
The Red Hand: carack - The Black Stranger
Pilgrim boat - long, slender, high curving prow, black as ebony, white skulls on the gunwales, small cabin, follower of Asura death boat - The Hour of the Dragon
The Venturer: Argossean long war-galley with purple sail - The Hour of the Dragon
Fisherman's boat - The Hour of the Dragon

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 21 September 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#124 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Conan’s resume:

Cimmerian Barbarian, son of a blacksmith
Æsir War-band Reaver – The Frost-Giant’s Daughter
Captive – in Hyperborea
Penniless Wanderer –Brythunia, Nemedia
Robber - Nemedia
Thief –The God in the Bowl, The Tower of the Elephant, The Nestor Synopsis, Rogues in the House
Treasure Hunter - The Nestor Synopsis
Assassin – Rogues in the House
Prisoner - in Aquilonia
Corinthian Mercenary –The Yaralet Fragment
Captain of the mercenary spearmen for the Khoraji army –Black Colossus
General –Commander of the armies of Khoraja – Black Colossus
Mercenary Captain of the Khaurani guard –A Witch Shall Be Born
Zuagir –A Witch Shall Be Born
Zuagir Chief –A Witch Shall Be Born
Adventurer –The Man-Eaters of Zamboula
Assassin –The Man-Eaters of Zamboula
Unemployed Mercenary – Queen of the Black Coast
Chief of the Corsair raiders – Queen of the Black Coast
Wandering Adventurer –The Shumballa Typescripts
Captain of the Shumballan royal guard –The Shumballa Typescripts
Kothic Mercenary – Xuthal of the Dusk
Kothic Mercenary – Iron Shadows in the Moon
Free Companion – Iron Shadows in the Moon
Kozaki raider – Iron Shadows in the Moon
Vilayet pirate of the Red Brotherhood – Iron Shadows in the Moon
Kozaki Chief –The Devil in Iron
Chief of Afghulis –People of the Black Circle
Argossean mercenary –The Tombalku Typescripts
Horse General over the riders of Tombalku –The Tombalku Typescripts
War-chief of the Bamulas – The Vale of Lost Women
Barachan Pirate
Unemployed mercenary – The Servants of Bit-Yakin
Keshani general – The Servants of Bit-Yakin
Treasure hunter – The Servants of Bit-Yakin
Con Artist – The Servants of Bit-Yakin, Punt
Barachan Pirate Captain – The pool of the Black One
Zingaran Freebooter Captain – The pool of the Black One, Red Nails
Zarallo’s Free Companion Mercenary for the Stygians –Red Nails
Barachan Pirate Captain
Aquilonian Mercenary Border Runner –Beyond the Black River
Aquilonian Mercenary Ranger – The Black Stranger
Barachan Pirate Captain – The Black Stranger
Aquilonian Mercenary General –Wolves Beyond the Border
King of Aquilonia –The Phoenix on the Sword, The Scarlet Citadel, The Hour of the Dragon

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 16 January 2011 - 07:00 PM.

#125 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

Conan's Armory:

Swords:
Sword - The Frost-Giant's Daughter
Sword - taking at sword point after captivity
Long sword - The God in the Bowl
Sword - The Tower of the Elephant
Sword - The Nestor Synopsis
Great sword - The Yaralet Fragment
Sword - Black Colossus
Sword - A Witch Shall Be Born
Straight broadsword - The Man-Eaters of Zamboula
Aquilonian broadsword - Queen of the Black Coast
Great broadsword - The Shumballa Typescripts
Saber - Xuthal of the Dusk
Long straight sword - Iron Shadows in the Moon
Scimitar (simitar Howard spelling) -The Devil in Iron
Sword - The Tombalku Typescripts
Sword - The Vale of Lost Women
Sword - The Servants of Bit-Yakin
Sword - The pool of the Black One
Broadsword - Red nails
Broadsword -Beyond the Black River
Broad cutlass - The Black Stranger
Long sword - The Phoenix on the Sword
Great broadsword - The Scarlet Citadel
Kushite's huge (massive) sword - The Scarlet Citadel
Great sword five foot blade - The Scarlet Citadel
Great sword - The Hour of the Dragon
Jewel-hilted broadsword - The Hour of the Dragon
Great two-handed sword - The Hour of the Dragon
Sword - The Hour of the Dragon
Argossean long blade sword - The Hour of the Dragon
Broadsword - The Hour of the Dragon

Daggers:
Poniard (broad double-edged blade nineteen inches long) - Rogues in the House
Broad bladed poniard - Xuthal of the Dusk
Yard long Zhaibar knife -People of the Black Circle
Dagger - The Servants of Bit-Yakin
Poniard - Red nails
Knife - The Black Stranger
Poniard broad-bladed, fifteen inches in length - Hour of the Dragon
Broad, heavy, slightly curved fine steel Ghanata knife - The Hour of the Dragon

Archery:

Zuagir Bow - A Witch Shall Be Born
Argossean Bow - Queen of the Black Coast
Shemite Bow - Queen of the Black Coast
Pictish Bow -Beyond the Black River
Aquilonian longbow - The Hour of the Dragon

Spears:

Cimmerian spear - in his youth
Bamula spear- (clad like his followers i.e. spearmen) - The Vale of Lost Women
Captain of the mercenary spearmen - Black Colossus
Improvised spear - Red Nails
Pictish spear -Beyond the Black River
Pike- (on foot with the pikemen) - The Hour of the Dragon

Axes:

Pictish Axe -Beyond the Black River
War-Axe - The Black Stranger
Ancient battle-ax - The Phoenix on the Sword
Heavy executioner's axe - The Hour of the Dragon
Heavy Argossean ax - The Hour of the Dragon

Armor:

Shield - The Frost-Giant's Daughter
Corselet - The Frost-Giant's Daughter
Mail - The Frost-Giant's Daughter
Chain-mail hauberk - Black Colossus
Blue steel Greaves - Black Colossus
Burnished steel plate-armor - Black Colossus
Gorget - Black Colossus
Sollerets - Black Colossus
Cuirass - Black Colossus
Pauldrons - Black Colossus
Jambes - Black Colossus
Cuisses - Black Colossus
Sallet - Black Colossus
Black mesh-mail - A Witch Shall Be Born
Kothian black scale-mail Hauberk - Queen of the Black Coast
Kothian burnished greaves - Queen of the Black Coast
Nemedian ring-mail - Queen of the Black Coast
Mail - The Shumballa Typescripts
Shield - The Shumballa Typescripts
Sleeveless dark mesh-mail hauberk -Beyond the Black River
Cuirass - The Phoenix on the Sword
Great Shield (no time to grab it) - The Phoenix on the Sword
Black mail - The Scarlet Citadel
Black gilt-worked armor - The Scarlet Citadel
Black plate-mail - The Hour of the Dragon
Gray Nemedian chain-mail - The Hour of the Dragon
Aquilonian ring-mail - The Hour of the Dragon
Mail-mesh hauberk - The Hour of the Dragon
Gauntlets - The Hour of the Dragon
Mail - The Hour of the Dragon

Helmets:

Horned Helmet - The Frost-Giant's Daughter
Blue Steel Basinet - Black Colossus
Black plumed vizored helmet - Black Colossus
Æsir Blue-steel helmet with bull's horns highly polished - Queen of the Black Coast
Steel helmet - The Shumballa Typescripts
Helmet without a crest with short bull's horns -Beyond the Black River
Heavy plumed casque (no time to don it) - The Phoenix on the Sword
Crested dented helmet - The Scarlet Citadel
Helmet - The Scarlet Citadel
Helmet with vizored salade, and dark plumes nodding over the wivern crest - The Hour of the Dragon
Morion - The Hour of the Dragon
Vizored helmet - The Hour of the Dragon
Plain morion, dented and battered - The Hour of the Dragon
Basinet - The Hour of the Dragon
Helmet (by the time it is mentioned in the final battle it is already gone) - The Hour of the Dragon

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 25 February 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#126 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

Conan’s Bestiary:

Horseflesh or mounted steeds:

Rogues horse – Rogues in the House
Black Colossus horse – Black Colossus
Hillman steed – Black Colossus
Zuagir horse – A Witch Shall Be Born
Sold horse – The Man-Eaters of Zamboula
Swift bay stallion - The Man-Eaters of Zamboula
Black stallion – Queen of the Black Coast
Powerful steed - The Shumballa Typescripts
Camel – Xuthal of the Dusk
Kozaki horse –The Devil in Iron
Bhalkhana stallion – People of the Black Circle
Black stallion –People of the Black Circle
Cut down horse (accursed steed)(possibly Argossean, Stygian, or Kushite) - The Tombalku Typescripts
Horse without saddle - The Tombalku Typescripts
Giant (great) horse - The Tombalku Typescripts
Lean, wiry Kushite steed (if he found the one that Livia escaped on) – The Vale of Lost Women
Keshani (Kushite) horse – The Servants of Bit-Yakin
Horse – Red nails
Great black stallion - The Scarlet Citadel
Black stallion – The Hour of the Dragon
Great white horse – The Hour of the Dragon
Bay war-horse – The Hour of the Dragon
Great black stallion – The Hour of the Dragon
Final battle steed – The Hour of the Dragon

Monsters, Animals, Legendary Animals, and Cryptozoological Animals mentioned:

Yogtha plant
Fire-flies
Cat
Mountain Lion
Jaguar
Wildcat

Lynx
Panther
Leopard
Lion
Tiger
Silent Lions
Golden leopard
Saber-tooth tiger
Sphinx
Dog
Bloodhounds
Jackal
Wolf
Werewolf
Were-hyena
Grizzly
Otter
Weasel
Grey Squirrel
Rabbit
mouse
Rat
Musk-rats
Bat
Swine
Pig
Camel
Black camel
Horse
Black horses (nightmares)
Cattle
Ox
Bull
Buffalo
Cimmerian wild bull
Antelope
Deer
Moose
Elephant
Mammoth
Mastodon
Yogah or Yag-kosha
Shark
Whale
Walrus
Frog
Turtle
Alligator
Crocodiles
Rat-snake
Serpents
Venomous serpents
Viper
Adder
Cobra
Jade serpent
Giant python
Sacred great dark python
Golden serpent
Giant iridescent snake
Giant jade snake
Crawler (giant serpent of indeterminable hue)
Ghost snake
Satha the Old One giant snake
Giant Serpent (were-serpent)
Child of Set (serpent with human head)
Basilisk
Wyvern
Huge bat-like creature (pteranodon)
Dragon
Giant black scorpion
Black jade spider
Gigantic black spider
Monkey
Baboon
Ape
Black gorilla
Bull ape
Gray ape
Gray man-ape
Servants of Bit-Yakin (Hairy hominids)
Thak (beastman)
Winged Ape-man
Black Ones (giant humanoids)
Living iron statues
goblin
Ogre
Gay-plumed, harsh-voiced birds
Cormorant
Loon
Toucan
Parrot
Owl
Hawk
Eagle
Vulture
Giant vulture (were-vulture)
Raven (familiar)
Phoenix
Fire-being
Devil
Demon
Baboon mummy nightmare
Black Stranger (semi-human demon)
Swamp devil
Flying devil from the outer dark
Living skeleton
Ghoul
Zombie
Ghost
Souls of the damned
Slimy invisible incorporeal being
Akivasha (vampire)
Vampire
Mummy (Xaltotun, Thothmekri)
Liche (Thugra Khotan)
Child of the dark (wraith)
Strangling mist
Tittering monstrosity (octopus, jelly, frog-like)
Thog
Thaug

Satyr

Nymph

Gargoyle

Conan is compared to these animals:

Lion
Tiger
Panther
Mountain Lion
Jaguar
Wolf
Grizzly
Bull
Stallion
Ape
Cat
Great cat

I might have missed a few.

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 16 August 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#127 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Conan's Linguistics:

During his travels Conan has picked up multiple languages becoming a talented polyglot and multi-linguist. While Conan is far more fluent in some languages than others, with some probably only being a few words or passable phrases; these are the languages I theorize he speaks at least partially, being able to communicate with the peoples of various lands he has traveled to.

1. Cimmerian learned in his youth.
2. Aquilonian learned in his youth.
3. Bossonian learned in his youth.
4. Nordheimr learned in his youth and refined during his time with the Æsir before the events of The Frost-Giant's Daughter.
5. Pictish learned in his youth.
6. Hyperborean learned in his youth and captivity.
7. Brythunian learned crossing Brythunia after captivity.
8. Nemedian learned prior to the events of The God in the Bowl.
9. Zamorian learned prior to the events of The Tower of the Elephant.
10. Corinthian learned prior to the events of Rogues in the House and The Nestor Synopsis refined during his time as a Corinthian Mercenary.
11. Ophirean learned while traveling through Ophir on his way home to Cimmeria after his Zamoran and Corinthian adventures. Further refined after The Man-Eaters of Zamboula when he travels to Ophir to sell the Star of Khorala.
12. Kothic learned prior to the events of Black Colossus while serving as a Corinthian Mercenary. Further refined in Black Colossus and A Witch Shall be Born.
13. Shemitish learned while a thief and during his service as a Corinthian mercenary. Further refined during Black Colossus, A Witch Shall be Born, and Queen of the Black Coast.
14. Hyrkanian learned during A Witch Shall be Born as a Zuagir raiding Turanian cities and further refined during The Man-Eaters of Zamboula, and Iron Shadows in the Moon.
15. Argossean learned prior to the events of Queen of the Black Coast while traveling from Ophir into Argos.
16. Kushite/Cushite learned during Queen of the Black Coast.
17. Stygian learned during Queen of the Black Coast.
18. Yuetshi learned prior to the events of Iron Shadows in the Moon.
19. Vendhyan learned prior to the events of People of the Black Circle.
20. Zhaibari learned prior to the events of People of the Black Circle.
21. Ghulistani or Ghuli learned prior to the events of People of the Black Circle.
22. Keshani learned prior to the events of The Servants of Bit-Yakin.
23. Puntan learned after the events of The Servants of Bit-Yakin.
24. Zingaran learned prior to the events of The Pool of the Black One.
25. Darfari learned prior to the events of Red Nails.

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 01 September 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#128 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

The Hero’s Journey

There is a pattern found in many epic tales and legends that Joseph Campbell calls a monomyth in The Hero with a Thousand Faces.

"In mythology and literature, a quest, a journey towards a goal, serves as a plot device and (frequently) as a symbol. Quests appear in the folklore of every nation and also figure prominently in non-national cultures. In literature, the objects of quests require great exertion on the part of the hero, and the overcoming of many obstacles, typically including much travel especially over a body of water. Travel also allows the storyteller to showcase exotic locations and cultures"

"The hero normally aims to obtain something or someone by the quest, and with this object to return home. The object can be something new, that fulfills a lack in his life, or something that was stolen away from him or someone with authority to dispatch him."

"The quest object may, indeed, function only as a convenient reason for the hero's journey. Such objects are termed MacGuffins."

Some examples of Hero’s Journeys are:

Gilgamesh, who wanted to find the secret to eternal life after the death of his friend Enkidu by crossing the The Waters of Death and other trials.

Jason and the Argonauts search for the Golden Fleece in the Argonautica.

Sir Lancelot on his quest for the Holy Grail.

“Howard’s novel reveals itself as a quest, and more precisely as an Arthurian-like quest for the Grail.” - Patrice Louinet in Hyborian Genesis

Frodo Baggins's quest to destroy the One Ring in The Lord of the Rings.

The Twelve Labors of Hercules or Dodekathlos:

1. Slay the Nemean Lion.
2. Slay the nine-headed Lernaean Hydra.
3. Capture the Golden Hind of Artemis.
4. Capture the Erymanthian Boar.
5. Clean the Augean stables in a single day.
6. Slay the Stymphalian Birds.
7. Capture the Cretan Bull.
8. Steal the Mares of Diomedes.
9. Obtain the girdle of Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons.
10. Obtain the cattle of the monster Geryon.
11. Steal the apples of the Hesperides.
12. Capture and bring back Cerberus.

As a reward for finishing these twelve treacherous tasks, he was given the gift of immortality after his death by Zeus, his father. Hera forgave him and gave him her daughter Hebe for his bride.

Campbell says there are definite steps or passes that each journey takes. Here is his list with corollaries from Conan’s journey in The Hour of the Dragon:

Departure
Conan rides out to meet the armies of Tarascus invading his kingdom at the Valley of Valkia
Conan travels through Nemedia returning to his kingdom.
Conan sails the Khorotas River to reach Poitain
Conan quests after Zorathus and the jewel into Zingara
Conan quests after Beloso and the jewel into Argos
Conan quests after Thutothmes and the jewel into Stygia

The Call to Adventure
The Nemedian Army invades Aquilonia, Conan loses his kingdom
Zelata tells him to seek the heart of his kingdom
Conan is told that Albiona one of his supporters is to be executed

Refusal of the Call
Conan is tempted to revert to his old ways and become a mercenary again forsaking his quest to regain a kingdom who has already forgotten him, the further he progresses the more ephemeral his memory of that which he is searching seems, until he nearly forgets his quest altogether
Conan considers himself no longer the king of Aquilonia but the king of the blue sea with the corsairs

Supernatural Aid
Conan is aided by Zelata’s minions in dispatching Xaltotun’s raven familiar and Nemedian soldiers
Conan is given a vision by Zelata
The priests of Asura aid Conan in the rescue of Albiona and help him travel to Poitain
The timely arrival of the four Khitans and their battle with Thutothmes and acolytes reducing the foes that Conan faces
The priest of Asura Hadrathus defeating Xaltotun’s rain magic to allow Conan’s army to cross the Shirki River

The Crossing of the First Threshold
Conan returns to Aquilonia to find it in ashes and besieged by the conquering Nemedians
Conan is set on a journey for the Heart by Zelata
Conan crosses the River Alimane into Zingara
Conan is shanghaied aboard the Venturer

Belly of the Whale
Conan is paralyzed by the child of the dark and is helpless
Conan is thrown in the dungeon in Belverus
Conan descends into the depths of a black pyramid in Stygia

Initiation: The Road of Trials
Conan encounters the haunter of the pits the gray ape
Conan encounters the Nemedian Adventurer
Conan encounters Nemedian soldiers
Conan fights his way through the prison guards and the street watch
Conan is confronted by Valbroso and his robber men-at-arms
Conan encounters the Zingaran ghouls
Conan encounters a son of set giant serpent
Conan encounters a vampire in the depths beneath the Pyramid
Conan encounters a deadly Khitan wizard

The Meeting with the Goddess
Zenobia shows him the power of her love

Woman as Temptress
Akivasa offers Conan eternal life and wants him to stay with her and abandon his quest

Atonement with the Father
Conan mentions his father a blacksmith for the first time

Apotheosis
No corollary

The Ultimate Boon
Conan finds the Heart of Ahriman the object of his quest

Return
Conan returns to Aquilonia

Refusal of the Return
No corollary

The Magic Flight

Conan is helped out of the catacombs beneath the pyramid by an undead mummy with vampires and horrors at his heels

Rescue from Without

Conan needs help. He needs Pallantides to organise the battle and cover up his paralysis, Zenobia to kill the Gray Ape and escape, Zelata to defeat that last soldier and guide him. Hadrathus, Servius, Trocero, Publio, the Corsairs... Conan needs a whole host of friends and allies. Conan rarely needed anyone, let alone so many people: this is because the stakes are so much higher than a single life, but the future of the whole Hyborian Age.
Tu

The Crossing of the Return Threshold
No corollary

Master of Two Worlds
Conan is able to revert to past personas to aid his quest to regain his kingship

Freedom to Live
Conan conquers the invaders and requests Zenobia as his bride

Other looks at the Hero’s Journey

Phil Cousineau, in his book, The Hero's Journey

The Call to Adventure
The Road of Trials
The Vision Quest
The Meeting with the Goddess
The Boon
The Magic Flight
The Return Threshold
The Master of Two Worlds

David Adams Leeming in his book, Mythology: The Voyage of the Hero

Miraculous conception and birth
Initiation of the hero-child
Withdrawal from family or community for meditation and preparation
Trial and Quest
Death
Descent into the underworld
Resurrection and rebirth
Ascension, apotheosis, and atonement

This was written in 1935, if I am not mistaken, for Dennis Archer in the UK, as a serialized novel which instead was published by Weird Tales. Howard cannibalized some of his stories (Phoenix on the Sword, Scarlet Citadel) for this novel.

It is also a hero's journey. Read a summary of the typical Hero's Journey from Campbell's The Hero with 1000 Faces:

The hero is introduced in his ordinary world, where he receives the call to adventure. He is reluctant at first but is encouraged by the wise old man or woman to cross the first threshold, where he encounters tests and helpers. He reaches the innermost cave, where he endures the supreme ordeal. He seizes the sword or the treasure and is pursued on the road back to his world. He is resurrected and transformed by his experience. He returns to his ordinary world with a treasure, boon, or elixir to benefit his world.

Howard devised an actual river Styx in his world to realize the myth of the river Styx. You can see how he designated it as a barrier for entry into the under/southern -world, Stygia, a back-formation of the word "Stygian". Obviously he wanted to have the river serve as a threshold into the underworld, as the mythical river was in fable.

But is wasn't until this novel that he had Conan literally decend into the underworld, upon the river Styx, disguised as the psychopomp Charon, no less, getting full use of his geography.

Conan retrieves from the underworld an artifact as plainly named as the Heart of Ahriman. Howard must have read from the same mythology texts as Campbell did!

In the first part of the story, it is hinted that autumn "crisps" the leaves on the trees, suggesting the myth of Persephone. When Conan returns, life returns to the world of plants.

A read through Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces (highly recommended BTW) yields many insights regarding this novel.

Campbell's insight was that important myths from around the world which have survived for thousands of years, all share a fundamental structure. This fundamental structure contains a number of stages, which include:

• A call to adventure, which the hero has to accept or decline
  • A road of trials, regarding which the hero succeeds or fails
  • Achieving the goal or "boon", which often results in important self-knowledge
  • A return to the ordinary world, again as to which the hero can succeed or fail
  • Applying the boon, in which what the hero has gained can be used to improve the world

REH gives us such obvious hints of the Hero's Descent into the Underworld as, okay, Conan as executioner, oarsman on a funeral barge, along which river? the Styx of course... Get it? ;)

Also I think that we have Xenobia, Albiona and Zelata as Maiden, Mother and Crone, don't we?

Looking at this from the Monomyth point of view, there are often three female initiatresses in these myths: the virgin, matron and crone.
Virgin: Zenobia ("He has never glanced at me, and probably never will.")
Matron: Albiona?
Crone: Zelata no doubt

Here I am thinking in terms of the "monomyth", although not all parts always line up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

Thus the women would be considered initiatrices.

The Odyssey had them very clearly in Circe, Nausicaa and Calypso.

Yes, in the classic tales, even the most "unlikely" heroes had secret noble heritage. Perhaps Conan, as an ex-Atlantean Cimmerian, served in that capacity? A noble savage might become king of the jungle? ;)

Just because I am (temporarily) bored:
Zenobia: She initiates him into the catacombs, the Belly of the Beast. By conquering the Grey Ape, he earns the right to be free. He also wounds another character on his way out. She shows him the power of love.

Zelata: She shows him the heart of his kingdom, and an alternative to the Grey Ape so to speak.

Albiona: She intiates him into the world of symbolic Death. We first see them when Albiona is to be executed, and as Conan usurps the role of executioner; death then becomes a metaphor. Conan as psychopomp, escorts her to the river Styx, hidden in a funeral barge.

Akivasha: Woman as Temptress. Akivasha is there to ensure that Conan has learned his lesson. To be king he must not think about himself. He lives for his country.

Just working through this. Like to see what you think.

Well, arguably if you totally ignored Campbell, you'd probably still be following the pattern he detailed. These ideas are hardwired into the human psyche.

“It’s like a quest in a nightmare,” he said at last.” – The Hour of the Dragon

“I’ve told you what I must do to regain my kingdom. I must find the Heart of Ahriman.” – The Hour of the Dragon

"Conan was a Cimmerian by birth, one of those fierce moody hillmen who dwelt in their gloomy, cloudy land in the north. His saga, which led him to the throne of Aquilonia, was the basis of a whole cycle of hero-tales.” – The Scarlet Citadel

"He loomed gigantically against a background of blood and slaughter, like some grim pagan hero of mythology.” – The Hour of the Dragon

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 09 September 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#129 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

Truly fine work, Amra!

I like the correlation between Sakumbe/Bunda Chand as the king who was struck down "in the midst of thousands": I don't know if it is a direct reference, but I like it nonetheless.

EDIT: Also, what are the sphinx & wyvern?

Edited by Taranaich, 15 January 2011 - 09:37 PM.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#130 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

Truly fine work, Amra!

I like the correlation between Sakumbe/Bunda Chand as the king who was struck down "in the midst of thousands": I don't know if it is a direct reference, but I like it nonetheless.

EDIT: Also, what are the sphinx & wyvern?

Thanks Taranaich!

The phoenix, sphinx and wyvern (wivern) are legendary animals mentioned in the stories. The phoenix is on the sword obviously, Conan's helmet has a wyvern crest design in The Hour of the Dragon, and the sphinxes are guarding the black pyramid in Stygia also in The Hour of the Dragon.

"And his hair prickled at the nape of his neck, for on the broad blade was carven a symbol--the outline of a phoenix. And he remembered that on the tomb in the crypt he had seen what he had thought to be a similar figure, carven of stone. Now he wondered if it had been but a stone figure, and his skin crawled at the strangeness of it all." - The Phoenix on the Sword

"And while the fallen king stared with burning eyes that reflected bitter rage and humiliation that ate his heart, the squires stripped Valannus of mail shirt, burganet and leg-pieces, and clad him in Conan?s armor of black plate-mail, with the vizored salade, and the dark plumes nodding over the wivern crest." - The Hour of the Dragon

"As they approached the pyramid he glimpsed a dim glow near the base which presently resolved itself into a doorway, on either side of which brooded stone lions with the heads of women, cryptic, inscrutable, nightmares crystallized in stone." - The Hour of the Dragon

We know that they are included in the mythology of the Hyborian Age for them to use them symbolically, but so were dragons and Conan encountered one. He never encounters a werewolf either but they are mentioned in at least two stories. Who knows maybe these legendary creatures exist too? One could infer that they do much like you assume there are mastadons based on Conan referring to one for a size comparison in Red Nails. For how could they reference or compare them if they do not know of them, at the least in their legendry. For now though, let's just consider them legendary and befitting a bestiary as they usually include fantastic animals alongside real ones.

"Suddenly and with appalling quickness, the mastodonic brute reared up on its mighty hind legs and elongated its neck and body in a furious effort to reach this vociferous pigmy whose clamor was disturbing the primeval silence of its ancient realm." - Red Nails

"'We encountered a bench-legged monstrosity about the size of a mastodon,' said Conan casually, holding out his wine goblet which Techutl filled with evident pleasure. 'But when we'd killed it we had no further trouble.'" - Red Nails

#131 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

Ah, I was searching through the stories looking for the wyvern spelling, not wivern. Plum forgot about the sphinxes in THotD.

We know that they are included in the mythology of the Hyborian Age for them to use them symbolically, but so were dragons and Conan encountered one. He never encounters a werewolf either but they are mentioned in at least two stories. Who knows maybe these legendary creatures exist too?

I agree, definitely. Same for ogres, goblins and others. I'm definitely of the opinion that the creatures of Cimmerian mythology have some basis in actuality, be it in a folklorised cryptid or genuine supernatural beast. That's how Howard tended to roll, after all. Regardless of whether they're real or not, however, it is worth noting folkloric creatures simply to understand the Hyborian cultures better.

Mastodons, or Mammoths at least, are definitely real, though, as we see in "The Garden of Fear," and the fact that Conan's set during the time period. Whether Conan actually encounters one, though, as opposed to heard about them, or had one described to him, is unproven.

#132 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

Ah, I was searching through the stories looking for the wyvern spelling, not wivern. Plum forgot about the sphinxes in THotD.

We know that they are included in the mythology of the Hyborian Age for them to use them symbolically, but so were dragons and Conan encountered one. He never encounters a werewolf either but they are mentioned in at least two stories. Who knows maybe these legendary creatures exist too?

I agree, definitely. Same for ogres, goblins and others. I'm definitely of the opinion that the creatures of Cimmerian mythology have some basis in actuality, be it in a folklorised cryptid or genuine supernatural beast. That's how Howard tended to roll, after all. Regardless of whether they're real or not, however, it is worth noting folkloric creatures simply to understand the Hyborian cultures better.

Mastodons, or Mammoths at least, are definitely real, though, as we see in "The Garden of Fear," and the fact that Conan's set during the time period. Whether Conan actually encounters one, though, as opposed to heard about them, or had one described to him, is unproven.

Ah goblins, I knew I missed some. Conan makes a size reference to mammoths in The Devil in Iron.

"What human hands could rear such a mammoth pile as now met his eyes, in the few weeks which had elapsed?"
- The Devil in Iron

#133 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:11 AM

Wounds of Conan:

Scarred face - in his youth
Frostbite – The Frost-Giant’s Daughter
Spider venom burned shoulder – The Tower of the Elephant
Ripped and torn by Thak’s talons (thighs, arms, breast, mashed lips) – Rogues in the House
Ghastly wound in his thigh – The Yaralet Fragment
Crucified (hands and feet pierced) – A Witch Shall Be Born
Cuts on hands and limbs from the corsairs – Queen of the Black Coast
Wounds in throat and hands from were-hyenas – Queen of the Black Coast
Wounds on limbs from battling Kothians, Stygians, and Kushites –Xuthal of the Dusk
A cut on the temple and a cut on back from the men of Xuthal – Xuthal of the Dusk
Bit, clawed by the fangs and talons of Thog, rending his flesh (back and breast, face skinned, lips pulped, scalp wound, deep gashes in his thighs, calves, and forearms, lacerated back, shoulders, and chest with skin hanging in loose strips – Xuthal of the Dusk
Head wound from a pirate slung stone. – Iron Shadows in the Moon
Bloodied scalp by the gray man-ape – Irons Shadows in the Moon
Neck and shoulder wounds from the devil of the outer dark – The Vale of Lost Women
Ear half torn from his head – The Pool of the Black One
Arms, legs, breast, and shoulders bitten and clawed by black ones – The Pool of the Black One
Iron trap snapped on his calf – Red Nails
Ripped by swamp devil talons breast and back – Beyond the Black River
Left arm wound – The Black Stranger
Injured leg – The Black Stranger
Arrow in the calf – The Black Stranger
Dagger cut along ribs – The Phoenix on the Sword
Wounds on arm, neck and legs – The Phoenix on the Sword
Left arm stabbed – The Phoenix on the Sword
Left shoulder sword wound – The Phoenix on the Sword
Stabbed in the side – The Phoenix on the Sword
Great talons sunk in his back – The Phoenix on the Sword
Mangled arm from biting baboon mummy nightmare – The Phoenix on the Sword
Burn on thigh from the venom of Satha the Old One – The Scarlet Citadel
Scratched by talons of a gray ape – The Hour of the Dragon
Head laceration – The Hour of the Dragon
Arm bit by a ghoul – The Hour of the Dragon
Split scalp – The Hour of the Dragon
Vampire bite on throat – The Hour of the Dragon

“When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die" - Rogues in the House

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 17 January 2011 - 06:11 AM.

#134 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

Back in 2005 when I was doing my Conan animation, I was actually planning on doing a "scar map" for Conan, depicting all the scars he actually receives in the stories on his face. That kinda fell by the wayside in favour of the Encyclopaedia. So I'm really surprised (pleasantly so) to see you've already done it! I'm in your debt, Amra!

#135 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:13 AM

Back in 2005 when I was doing my Conan animation, I was actually planning on doing a "scar map" for Conan, depicting all the scars he actually receives in the stories on his face. That kinda fell by the wayside in favour of the Encyclopaedia. So I'm really surprised (pleasantly so) to see you've already done it! I'm in your debt, Amra!

Conan's scar map would have to change with time.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#136 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

That was one of the barriers! B)

#137 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:16 AM

That was one of the barriers! B)

Start off with Conan's unmarred face. Add scars one at a time in chronological order. Save frequently, to a new file each time. That's how I write screenplays, so that future generations will be able to admire my creative process. ;)
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#138 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

For some reason the quotation marks, apostrophes, and hyphens in my posts and posts from others in this thread have been replaced with question marks but not in every case. Most often when the apostrophes are used as a single quotation mark inside a set of double quotation marks denoting a quote within a quote and also the single apostrophe showing possessive. Is there a way to fix it without re-editing all of the posts?

I don't see that at all. What browser and operation system are you using?

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#139 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

For some reason the quotation marks, apostrophes, and hyphens in my posts and posts from others in this thread have been replaced with question marks but not in every case. Most often when the apostrophes are used as a single quotation mark inside a set of double quotation marks denoting a quote within a quote and also the single apostrophe showing possessive. Is there a way to fix it without re-editing all of the posts?

Conan?s Linguistics:

#140 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

I don't see that at all. What browser and operation system are you using?

I am using Windows 7 and mozilla firefox. I also notice that the Æ or æ grapheme from Aesir is affected.

Posts 15,31,39,41,64,65,66,71,72,73,84,104,110,123,125,and 127 are the affected ones I can see.

Using Internet Explorer I can see the same errors.

*I have tried to fix all of the errors that I could find.*

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 01 September 2011 - 04:00 PM.