131 replies to this topic

#1 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 06:50 PM

I'm curious if any here read Weird Tales. When the pulp came back into publication in, I believe, 1988 I immediately subscribed and have enjoyed it greatly. It's stories range from horror to sword & sorcery, though the latter, while good, aren't quite to the level of Robert E. Howard. Truly a good magazine.

Further, for any writers here: Has anyone submitted a story to Weird Tales? In the 90's I submitted a number of short stories, mostly horror, but have yet to be published in the one magazine it's always been my dream to get a story in. My sword & sorcery stories, oddly, tend to be more novellas than short stories, so no luck there yet.
Crom!

#2 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:07 AM

I did not even know Weird Tales was still out there. Where or how can I find it?
M?ran taing,
The Archer
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#3 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:46 PM

Mitra! It lives!

Weird Tales
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#4 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 06:29 PM

Yes, by Crom, it does. Sadly, DNA Publications' web site isn't updated as it should be and the issue seen on Orkin's link is old. If you go to DNAPublications.com, you'll find it updated to a much newer but old issue.

It is quite a good magazine and must be doing well 'cause this summer through the end of the year Weird Tales has moved from quarterly to bimonthly. In fact, the next issue should be coming out this month (September), within the next four days.
Crom!

#5 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 01:33 AM

HEllo,
Where do they sell Weird Tales? I looked in "Bookland" the other day when I picked up my copy of Bran Mac Morn I had ordered, and it was not there.
Dave

#6 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 01:47 AM

HEllo,
Where do they sell Weird Tales? I looked in "Bookland" the other day when I picked up my copy of Bran Mac Morn I had ordered, and it was not there.
Dave

I've never seen a Weird Tales at Bookland, but have at Books-A-Million and Barnes and Noble.

Um, you ordered a Bran Mac Morn? Is it by Howard? If so, I didn't know Howard was still in...well, normal paperbacks these days. Several years back I snapped up a seven or eight book series of Howard's non-Conan stories, but have seen nothing since.
Crom!

#7 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 12:27 PM

Hello,
Would it be in the magazine section or in books? I reckon they would know.
Thanks,
Dave

#8 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 03:24 PM

It's in the magazine section, DMEII.
Crom!

#9 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,533 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:32 AM

I was just wondering if any of you Conan/REH fans own an original Weird Tales magazine with a REH story/segment?

To me that would be the Holy Grail(s) of being a Howard fan. In my youth, I remember a bookstore had one behind this glass case and I often just stare at it but it was beyond my financial means. I guess owning a real draft of a Howard story would be a close second but to see his work published in the original format of pulp fiction with the cool covers would for me be the best!

How about you?

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#10 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:04 PM

Looks like it's still being published:
Weird Tales
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#11 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,533 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:23 AM

Orkin said:
[QUOTE]Looks like it's still being published

Yeah, interesting site but my bad for not being clear on my post. I was referring to an original 1920/1930's Weird Tales magazine thus making it a collectilbe and a highly and difficult, to the point of impossible, item to get.. a la the Grail.

Happy 77th to the tales though..

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#12 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:32 AM

Weird Tales

Yep, it sure is. I've been a charter subsciber and submitting writer since its rebirth...well, I was 'tween 93 and around 97 when I hit a bad spell of writer's block. Anyway, it's still a great mag -- and I'm working on a Heroic Fantasy for it now.

Anyway, anyway, I highly recommend it!
Crom!

#13 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:35 AM

[quote name='Strom' date='May 7 2004, 12:23 AM']Orkin said:
[quote]Looks like it's still being published

Yeah, interesting site but my bad for not being clear on my post. I was referring to an original 1920/1930's Weird Tales magazine thus making it a collectilbe and a highly and difficult, to the point of impossible, item to get.. a la the Grail.

Happy 77th to the tales though..[/quote]
I had my chance way back when to get my mits on one, but it was quite expensive and I couldn't. I just checked my source and sadly there aren't any there now. :(
Crom!

#14 theBaba

theBaba

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:51 AM

There are always some on eBay. Depending on condition they range in price from $50 to $200+. The high dollar ones are usually the issues where REH got the cover story and the mostly garish Brundage artwork.

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...4210071113&rd=1

Posted Image

theBaba

#15 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:11 AM

Weird Tales

Yep, it sure is. I've been a charter subsciber and submitting writer since its rebirth...well, I was 'tween 93 and around 97 when I hit a bad spell of writer's block. Anyway, it's still a great mag -- and I'm working on a Heroic Fantasy for it now.

You're in your 90's and still writing? Way to go, old man!
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#16 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:56 PM

Weird Tales

You're in your 90's and still writing? Way to go, old man!

Hee hee...uh, :lol: You misunderstand, Ironhand. Weird Tales came back into print in 1988 (the year I graduated from college) and to my surprise I got a charter subscription form and subscribed. I've been an avid reader/supporter of it ever since. Last year it went from quarterly to bi-monthly which means Weird Tales must be doing good.
Crom!

#17 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:16 PM

Last year it went from quarterly to bi-monthly which means Weird Tales must be doing good.

Indeed. Their response time is quite slow, too, which means submissions must be good. Unfortunately for me, it's better luck next time. At least they sent me a personal letter and not a form letter...

#18 loonatik

loonatik

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:27 AM

Posted Image

Does anyone suscribe to it?

loonatik.
All fled--all done, so lift me on the pyre--
The Feast is over, and the lamps expire.

Robert E. Howard's last words

Look upon my Works,Ye Mighty,and Despair! - Ozymandias

#19 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:27 AM

I would subscribe to it but it costs too much money. There are a lot of lousy stories in that mag. There are a few I like. I bought an issue about three years ago. I want to send them some of my stuff eventually. The Weird Tales mag that is out now is not run by the origional people. Someone bought the name. My pulp fiction analysis teacher looked it up. They mean well but there is just too much garbage in that mag.

#20 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:48 AM

When H.P. Lovecraft was alive he would tear off the covers to his copies of "Weird Tales" so that he would not be embarassed. He didn't like walking around in public holding pulp magazines especially ones that depicted scantily clad females like "Weird Tales" often does.