• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

Prince Adam and Cringer was in the DC comic series in 1982 which predates the Filmation TV series.

Posted Image

Posted Image
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#42 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

Free Companion Mercenary Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

One has to wonder if it wasn't for the law suite, weather MOTU would've remained more dark and gritty. The Prince Adam/He-man thing was as early as 1982 with the DC comics mini series.

I misunderstood you when you said mini series I thought you meant the mini-comics and didn't realize that you were referring to a DC limited run. I stand corrected and feel bad for He-Man fans everywhere. Did Adam have the pink and purple Filmation outfit or the one in the mini comics?

Although the 3 issue DC Masters of the Universe series started in December of 1982 with To Tempt the Gods! issue #1 and the DC Comics presents #47 featuring Superman and the Masters of the Universe was in July of 1982, I'll bet that Filmation was already in production prior to the first airing on October 1983 and that these comics are influenced by it.

If life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. Queen of the Black Coast 1934 Robert E. Howard

Amra's The Chronicles of Conan The Cimmerian: Determining the chronological order of Howard's Conan Tales

#43 Skullface

Skullface

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:41 AM

I have owned 2 carded thoths-amons 1 devourer of souls carded,and one l incomplete Conan.
I sold them a few years back on ebay,the bubbles on the cards got so yellow you could barely see the toys. I do have a green dragon that looks like the one on the package.Never saw a chariot.The toy pulling it looks like a generic I have seen around in junk boxes at shows. That remco line is rare but ugly.

#44 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

One has to wonder if it wasn't for the law suite, weather MOTU would've remained more dark and gritty. The Prince Adam/He-man thing was as early as 1982 with the DC comics mini series.

I misunderstood you when you said mini series I thought you meant the mini-comics and didn't realize that you were referring to a DC limited run. I stand corrected and feel bad for He-Man fans everywhere. Did Adam have the pink and purple Filmation outfit or the one in the mini comics?

Although the 3 issue DC Masters of the Universe series started in December of 1982 with To Tempt the Gods! issue #1 and the DC Comics presents #47 featuring Superman and the Masters of the Universe was in July of 1982, I'll bet that Filmation was already in production prior to the first airing on October 1983 and that these comics are influenced by it.

Adam had his blue vest that you saw in the mini comics. It's weird, as to this day I still do not know where the Adam idea first came into play and by who, ie Filmation or Mattel. Adam has to go to a specific cave to transform into He-Man.

Here are some pages from an unproduced MOTU comic where things are even different again and Adam is a boy brutalised by Skeletor's demon's and is put into a space pod of some kind and is transformed into He-Man.

We have no date on this as of yet but I know somebody is trying to find out the story behind this comic.

But the more stuff you find, the less similarities there are to Conan. But the idea of 'empowerment' seemed to be there from the get go.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#45 Skullface

Skullface

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Nice art almost looks like kirby.Do you know who did it?

#46 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Nice art almost looks like kirby.Do you know who did it?

I think it was Adrian Gonzales in 1984. It seems like it is a kind of reboot to the Masters of the Universe origins at odds with the mini-comics and the Filmation 1983 Cartoon storylines. They should have kept the weak Adam concept as it would have made the He-Man transformation and keeping the He-Man secret more believable.

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 27 January 2011 - 06:38 PM.

If life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. Queen of the Black Coast 1934 Robert E. Howard

Amra's The Chronicles of Conan The Cimmerian: Determining the chronological order of Howard's Conan Tales

#47 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

Vikor's has some identity issues! :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

The kids are alright!
Posted Image

The two concepts side by side! :hmgrin:
Posted Image
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#48 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

Posted Image

Okay, that's a major geekish guffaw! :D

#49 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

Posted Image

I love King Conan's expression. :lol:

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#50 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

Posted Image

I'd buy this.

That sure LOOKS like Conan. Paul Herman's take on the CPI/Mattel battle:

http://www.robert-e-...erThought2.html

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#51 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Paul Herman's take on the CPI/Mattel battle:

http://www.robert-e-...erThought2.html

That is nothing new for this discussion. That link to godzilladude/Paul Herman's thoughts/analysis of the lawsuit:is found in posts 2, 4, and 27 of this thread.

What is new to this discussion is that photos of Roger Sweet's conceptualized figures from 1980 that were built up over existing Mattel Big Jim figures as a barbarian, soldier, and spaceman to pitch Mattel with for the new Masters of the Universe toyline in have surfaced.

The original pitch for a new toyline in 1980 came with the descriptive term "Frazetta type figures parts Conan, Flash Gordon and Star Wars".

Posted Image

As we know Mattel executives picked the barbarian out of the three to be the basis of the HE-MAN toyline. Masters of the Universe also ended up using bits of all three concepts military, fantasy, and space for the toys. That space concept is an obvious rip-off at least helmet and rocket-wise of Boba Fett from Star Wars.

Posted Image

Photos of Tony Guerro's original wax HE-MAN concept as painted by Roger Sweet have also come up. The original unpainted wax sculp:

Posted ImagePosted Image

The painted wax sculpt:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also one of Mark Taylor's final HE-MAN concept sketches that is quite a bit different from his preliminary Vikor sketches:

Posted Image

Info and photos from powerandhonor.org, youtube.com, Grayskullmuseum.com, Tomart.com, he-man.org, and the book: The Power and The Honor Foundation catalog Volume One: The Art of Masters of the Universe Toy Design of which Eamon did the cover

Posted Image

#52 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:47 AM

Posted Image

We should have a Hall of Fame for great member images on this board. This surely belongs. B)
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#53 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

Info and photos from powerandhonor.org, youtube.com, Grayskullmuseum.com, Tomart.com, he-man.org, and the book: The Power and The Honor Foundation catalog Volume One: The Art of Masters of the Universe Toy Design of which Eamon did the cover

Posted Image

Yay, represent!! It was fascinating helping out on this book. :)

Edited by Eamon, 20 December 2011 - 04:12 PM.

I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#54 cimmerianbloke

cimmerianbloke

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Posted Image

We should have a Hall of Fame for great member images on this board. This surely belongs. B)

Vikor "C'mon guys, once more...It's fun to stay at the Y...."
Conan: "Wankers"

#55 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

I like to think of it as Conan is sighing at them crazy kids. Which I think fitting given the history. :)
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#56 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

slightly of topic but i just love that figure of palantides

Posted Image
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#57 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

slightly of topic but i just love that figure of palantides

Posted Image

I don't know if it started with this figure. But I've always seen this as one of the major causes for people to aquate Aquliona with the Roman Empire.
I think I would have liked the figure more if it had a full breast and back plate and some armor on the upper legs.
I think that would have added to the figure without making it seem so "Roman"
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#58 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

A real Roman armor wonk would say that there's nothing Roman about it. ;)

#59 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

yea it look likes it's a greek mixed with roman kinda ceremonial thing
not realy made for the battlefield

still is a very nice looking figure, too bad it's almost imposible to get
one at a reasonable price :(
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#60 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

A real Roman armor wonk would say that there's nothing Roman about it. ;)

If I could "like" a post I would. B)
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--