Photo

Seriously Seriously Seriously Good Conan Art.

• Please log in to reply
780 replies to this topic

#181 JainkhulTamhair

JainkhulTamhair

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

two more from Geof Isherwood:
Conan the indomitable(2004), this one is really classy
Posted Image

Conan & the prize(2004)
Posted Image

#182 JainkhulTamhair

JainkhulTamhair

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

and while tooling around i found these sketches...always cool to see the artist's process...

Posted Image

Posted Image

the artist discusses the piece on his blog, I left him a comment and asked if he would swing by.

http://petarmeseldzi...commission.html

Here's another b&w Conan vs Frost Giants along with Atali showing off, this "fan" art by Y.Roumboulias seems professional to me:

Posted Image

#183 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

Conan & the prize(2004)
Posted Image

RRRROOOOOIIIIIIDDDDDSSSSS!!!!!!!

#184 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

Usually am a fan of Isherwood but that neck got away from him on that third portrait...
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#185 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

two more from Geof Isherwood:
Conan the indomitable(2004), this one is really classy
Posted Image

Conan & the prize(2004)

Really like this piece, reminds me abit of Mike Peters Conan, brilliant work. (the ink strokes and power of the piece that is)

For those that want to see comparison, check out: MLP Conan

This Joe Jusko piece seems crackin, the best painting I've seen that captures Belit and Conan well. Reminds me of the Buscema version of both, maybe a dedication to them maybe?

JJ Belit

This artist has a strange visual look for Conan, reminds me of Thrud more the art style: funny

For those that dont know Thrud: Thrud fun
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#186 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Wraparound Kaluta cover, and a bigger version...

Posted Image

what I like about this piece is that some of the figures don't make sense, but it still works...

Posted Image

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#187 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Wraparound Kaluta cover, and a bigger version...

Posted Image

what I like about this piece is that some of the figures don't make sense, but it still works...

Posted Image

Mr. Kaluta (who's back on the forum) has said that the original was for a painting of the Battle of Helm's Deep. Pretty cool both ways, IMO.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#188 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I loved his King Conan covers, there are a few up in this thread I should top them.

#189 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

These were REALLY different treatments when they first hit the stands, pretty ballsy move if you ask me to deviate so much from type...

Posted Image

I think this goes to show one way to bring in new readership is to take a chance on something different visually stylistically, but still remain relatively faithful.

#190 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Posted this in the show your Howards thread, but I'm really stoked to have gotten this so I'm shamelessly double posting here too.

Posted Image

Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#191 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

magic signs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,325 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hey
Thanks very much for all the weird and wonderful variety of art in here.

More please ?
--:)

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#192 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

#193 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

Liam Sharp

Posted Image

#194 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

VEry nice sharp Conan, that same pose was turned into a 3D version I seen on some fourm. Brillaint too.
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#195 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

Liam Sharp

Posted Image

That`s my avatar.

#196 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

Imagine an actor that could look like that ...

[color=#fafafa !important][/color]Posted Image

#197 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,925 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

There ain't no such actor. The Rock comes closest.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#198 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

There ain't no such actor. The Rock comes closest.

Arnold did, actually he was bigger! ;)

#199 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

I imagine they could find someone with the physical looks...but with the acting cred to go with it,that would be difficult.

#200 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

Liam Sharp

Posted Image

That`s my avatar.

I thought it looked familiar :)