Photo

Seriously Seriously Seriously Good Conan Art.

• Please log in to reply
782 replies to this topic

#221 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Great work from our fellow forum member Giannis Roumboulias (rubusthebarbarian) from Greece.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This is how QOTBC should look.

#222 Savage Savant

Savage Savant

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Where do you guys get the pictures for your Conan avatars? Sorry if this is an inappropriate thread to ask this question, I'm new to this forum & I've searched Google for Conan art without text but to no avail.

#223 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Terrific! Dark Horse should buy this sequence and use it in their QBC series. Roumbouliasis showing us, and DH, how QBC should be illustrated.

Edited by Ironhand, 07 May 2012 - 08:06 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#224 gaijinn

gaijinn

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Couln't agree more...great action sequence.
For some Conan related art please visit:

http://www.artsinpixels.blogspot.com
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=dante

#225 Rubus The Barbarian

Rubus The Barbarian

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words about my work guys! I really appreciate it! :D :wub:

#226 Dan N.

Dan N.

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

I would pay good money for a full comic like that. The art is action-packed and visceral (oh, and Belit looks great, too). Very well done, sir!

#227 Rubus The Barbarian

Rubus The Barbarian

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Oh I'd love to adapt Queen of the Black Coast, People of the Black Circle and Hour of the Dragon into full graphic novels.. They are my favorite Howard sotries! :D Unfortunately the Queen is taken for now,.. :( I hope some time in the near future I'll have the chance to work on at least one of the other two stories.. :)

#228 gaijinn

gaijinn

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

PLEASEEE, do it...your art is AWSOME

#229 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Where do you guys get the pictures for your Conan avatars? Sorry if this is an inappropriate thread to ask this question, I'm new to this forum & I've searched Google for Conan art without text but to no avail.

Can somebody PM this guy and straighten him out? Thanks!

#230 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hi Rubus,

Took your time getting these great pieces up here. they are amaziing, I have seen your others on your facebook ;)

Please consider contacting DH directly my friend and blast their doors open with that awsome Conan face and structure. Not too big and not too small m8.

Keep showing us more. :)
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#231 Rubus The Barbarian

Rubus The Barbarian

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

Well the truth is, I did contact DH, showing them these exact pieces, through my agent but unfortunately we got no response at all from them.. :(

#232 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Well the truth is, I did contact DH, showing them these exact pieces, through my agent but unfortunately we got no response at all from them.. :(

That is a shame... and it is also incredible and ironic that Dark Horse let Hawthorne draw almost 12 issues of that dreadful Road of Kings series. Who knows Dark Horse choices????????
Your art is infinitely better.

#233 Rubus The Barbarian

Rubus The Barbarian

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

Well thanks for your kind words though I believe mr Hawthorne's work was quite good at that point. But it's a matter of taste anyhow. ;) Oh well we shall see what Dark Horse has to show us, as Queen of the Black Coast continues. :)

#234 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

That is a shame... and it is also incredible and ironic that Dark Horse let Hawthorne draw almost 12 issues of that dreadful Road of Kings series. Who knows Dark Horse choices????????
Your art is infinitely better.

Dark Horse thought this was a great cover.
Posted Image

Until a new editor takes the reins there's no telling what garbage they will embrace, and what gems will be discarded. The expression "Pearls before swine" comes to mind.

#235 Rubus The Barbarian

Rubus The Barbarian

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Here's the piece I sent for the DH cover contest (though I had no luck) and I also used for my new sketchbook cover. :)

Pencils
Posted Image

Inks
Posted Image

..and full color
Posted Image

#236 gaijinn

gaijinn

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Yeah...go figure what goes through DH art director's minds. I mean, look at Rubus awsome, powerfull and amazingly drawn images, plus he knows how to tell a sequenced story...and DH doesn't even deijgn to answer the guy. But then again, I guess it must be everything else, favors are traded, "the friend of my niece has nice drawings, give him a chance, I owe you one, yeah your golf membership card should be in the mail as we speak...etc.etc." kind of thing and we have to swallow all they send our way...

#237 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

The only thing I suggest you should change, Rubus, are Conan muscles. He is too Arnold, in my opinion. He looks a little bit stiff and blocky, if that is a proper word. Other than that, perfect. Less muscles, more natural movements?

#238 Savage Savant

Savage Savant

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Can somebody PM this guy and straighten him out? Thanks!

Thanks however no one has contacted me regarding my inquiry. Do you have any suggestions yourself?

#239 Aza9

Aza9

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Very nice work Rubus!
And we end up with Conans styled as sissies and muppets. :(

XpertKillah, try this link:
http://www.google.co...BOtDViAKOxLzTAg
I woulda kept Thothmekri for awhile. He could come in handy.

#240 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Great work from our fellow forum member Giannis Roumboulias (rubusthebarbarian) from Greece.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

WOW by Crom wow, id buy comics of QOTBC looking like that all day!!!