Photo

Seriously Seriously Seriously Good Conan Art.

• Please log in to reply
744 replies to this topic

#1 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

BOOM. Stumbled across a thread on another forum with some really amazing Conan illos collected.

Here's one, let's add in.

Posted Image
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#2 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

always loved this Beekman....

Posted Image

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#3 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

check out the note written on this:

Posted Image

#4 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

always loved this segment out of shadows....

Posted Image

#5 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

FGD bws

Posted Image

#6 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Posted Image

#7 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Posted Image

Edited by monk, 20 January 2011 - 09:19 AM.

#8 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Posted Image

Edited by monk, 20 January 2011 - 09:17 AM.

#9 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

this is actually jeff jones doing bran mak morn but frak it, it's sick so up it goes:

Posted Image

#10 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

wow.

Posted Image

#11 duaneshadow

duaneshadow

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

FGD bws

Posted Image

now THAT is how to draw a comic. Methinks BWS has been looking at some Japanese work there. Those opening four panels superimposed over the main page could come straight from Lone Wolf and Cub.
'why does he have to be a misfit? Why can't he be handsome and kind?'

'You're still a dreamer girl'.

#12 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Hahaha! I've posted a link to that forum in Jason Momoa's thread but here it is again.

http://marvelmasterw...ja-Elric?page=1

My favourites were always Buscema, Alcala and Norem. But there's a whole bunch of Incredible artists out there. I believe there's some thread with Conan artwork but we can paste some stuff here also if everyone agrees.

Edited by Munthasem, 20 January 2011 - 01:52 PM.

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#13 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Hahaha! I've posted a link to that forum in Jason Momoa's thread but here it is again.

My favourites were always Buscema, Alcala and Norem. But there's a whole bunch of Incredible artists out there. I believe there's some thread with Conan artwork but we can paste some stuff here also if everyone agrees.

yes dogbrother, i saw it and that is what led me to start up this one! maybe we will uncover some they missed, like that Tower of the Elephant painting. wow.

here's one by crazy Bill Sienkiewicz.

Posted Image

#14 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

more sanjulian:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by monk, 21 January 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#15 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

FGD bws

Posted Image

I got to look at these original pages at San Diego Comic Con in 06 (I think...maybe 07..)

I wanted to buy them but they were pricey!!
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#16 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

I got to look at these original pages at San Diego Comic Con in 06 (I think...maybe 07..)

I wanted to buy them but they were pricey!!

wow that would have been worth the price of admission!

alcala.

Posted Image

#17 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:10 AM

yes dogbrother, i saw it and that is what led me to start up this one! maybe we will uncover some they missed, like that Tower of the Elephant painting. wow.

Posted Image

Don't you find the head a little too small for the body?
Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#18 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:15 AM

always loved this Beekman....

Posted Image

Conan founds that robbing the Tower of Rhai-Har-Ye-Haazen was more difficult than he anticipated.

Edited by Almuric, 25 January 2011 - 05:15 AM.

"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#19 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:38 AM

Posted Image

Don't you find the head a little too small for the body?

I think that's an optical illusion caused by the stiff robes, which make his shoulders look much broader. Try to imagine Conan's true dimensions under the robe.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#20 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

Some of these images brought back fond memories for me.....cheers. Especially Bill Sienkiewicz's, I think it was the last issue of Savage Sword of Conan or a anniversary one?

Edited by Dave the Rage, 10 March 2011 - 01:49 AM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century