Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

Posted Image

KING CONAN: THE
SCARLET CITADEL #4

Written by Tim Truman,
penciled by Tomas Giorello, colored by Jose Villarrubia, cover by Darick
Robertson.

Conan goes against his
Cimmerian instincts and sides with Pelias the wizard, who can help the barbarian
exact revenge on those who took his crown! Conan races to Aquilonia to regain
his throne! With covers by fan-favorite Darick Robertson, this fast-paced,
standalone miniseries is a great introduction to Howard's tales of the great
King Conan!

32 pages, $3.50, in stores
on May 25.

#2 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

Posted Image

SCARLET CITADEL #4

Written by Tim Truman,
Robertson.

Conan goes against his
Cimmerian instincts and sides with Pelias the wizard, who can help the barbarian
King Conan!

on May 25.

sick underbite.

bad sword.

gloopy blood.

good composition except we get a lot of cut off feet that just sort of 'disappear.'

not sure why there are skeletons.

not feeling the photoshop glow.

really bad sword. may have said that already but it bears repeating.

really wish that a copy of the story would come with the contracted art, so the artist can read the story.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#3 DutchHowardFan

DutchHowardFan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands - Near the misty marshes of Kinderdyk

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

Posted Image

SCARLET CITADEL #4

Written by Tim Truman,
Robertson.

Conan goes against his
King Conan!

on May 25.

sick underbite.

bad sword.

gloopy blood.

good composition except we get a lot of cut off feet that just sort of 'disappear.'

not sure why there are skeletons.

not feeling the photoshop glow.

really bad sword. may have said that already but it bears repeating.

really wish that a copy of the story would come with the contracted art, so the artist can read the story.

I completely agree with you,

Not in the spirit of Robert E. Howard, to much, greatly overdone.........,

and then the Helmet!!!!!!

#4 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:44 AM

Finished reading this earlier, and I am very satisfied with this series. I especially liked the inclusion of the REH quote regarding the future of King Conan in the last couple panels. It really makes me wish he could have told more Conan yarns. Truman really has respect for REH's stories, and it shows!

As usual for this series, the art was fantastic and very detailed. I was particularly impressed with the half-page depiction of the older King Conan on the second-to-last page - facial scars, full beard, fierce blue eyes and all.

I must have this in hardcover for my collection!
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#5 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

Finished reading this earlier, and I am very satisfied with this series. I especially liked the inclusion of the REH quote regarding the future of King Conan in the last couple panels. It really makes me wish he could have told more Conan yarns. Truman really has respect for REH's stories, and it shows!

As usual for this series, the art was fantastic and very detailed. I was particularly impressed with the half-page depiction of the older King Conan on the second-to-last page - facial scars, full beard, fierce blue eyes and all.

I must have this in hardcover for my collection!

Quite simply one of the best Conan adaptations ever. It stands up next to the best of Roy & Big John's work, while being different with Tim using Conan as a narrator to work in many other aspects of the stories. Phoenix on the Sword is set for Janaury, should be interesting to see them take on Conan's usurping of the throne in some way.

BTW-From the plan laid out in ROK #5 (an OK issue but really paling in comparison to this), Queen of the Black Coast should be hitting next March.

#6 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

Yeah, that's going to be sweet! I really hope DH uses Giorella and Truman again. They can't go wrong with that team. Like you said, it's comparable to Thomas and Buscema in the Marvel glory days. B)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#7 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:04 AM

and I think I just noticed he's wearing some kinda garter belts...?

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#8 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

I'm guessing the "garter belt" is a knife belt. Artists have done that before, although REH never described such.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#9 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

I'm guessing the "garter belt" is a knife belt. Artists have done that before, although REH never described such.

yeah but on BOTH legs?

#10 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

yeah but on BOTH legs?

Well his outfit has to match! :lol:

#11 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:17 AM

lmao can you imagine how severely annoying that sword must be to actually carry. if that were my sword i'd throw it out the nearest window after, oh, say the 2nd time it pricked me in the ribs with that ludicrous pommel.

come on mr. robertson.

#12 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

lmao can you imagine how severely annoying that sword must be to actually carry. if that were my sword i'd throw it out the nearest window after, oh, say the 2nd time it pricked me in the ribs with that ludicrous pommel.

come on mr. robertson.

I wish we could get all the Conan artists together and teach them about swords. :)

#13 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

the devil's advocate

well he's supposed to wear the sword on his back...maybe he has the helmet to protect his head from the pomel :P

#14 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:52 AM

come on mr. robertson.

I wish we could get all the Conan artists together and teach them about swords. :)

That's a great idea. No more over the top fantasy crap, Conan hates fancy weapons.

"It was no slender stiletto, selected because of a jeweled hilt or gold guard, fitted only for dainty murder in milady's boudoir; it was a forthright poniard, a warrior's weapon, broad-bladed, fifteen inches in length, tapering to a diamond-sharp point."

#15 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

the devil's advocate

well he's supposed to wear the sword on his back...maybe he has the helmet to protect his head from the pomel :P

and a hockey glove, lmao!

#16 godcipherdivine

godcipherdivine

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Bravo! This is my fav Howard Conan tale along with Phoenix on the Sword that I am currently enjoying as well, mainly because I like seeing Conan as king. Citadel was great though, I was completely satisfied. At first the words of Howard at the end didn't sit well with me because I like to get lost in the fantasy world of stories when I'm reading it but after further contemplation it was fitting being that Conan was never given free reign by Howard for others to tell his tales and the character is as much a part of Howard as any limbs on his body.

What did yall think of Scarlet Citadel and what are your fav Howard Conan stories?

#17 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I didn`t like the colors very much. Vilarrubia has a history of choosing some odd tones during his run on Conan, in my opinion. The part when Conan flies to Aquilonia on the back of that winged monster, for example, it was all messed up when it comes to the colors. Red, green, yellow and purple, it was all wrong.
I`ve already said it here, but people doesn`t seem to get bothered by it.
Anyway, on FotS Vilarrubia is doing a great job up to this point, specially because his not using the odd tones he used on the Scarlet Citadel. I think everybody will agree that the coloring is now different, for the better in my opinion.
When you look at The Scarlet Citadel and you read the Cimmeria arch (not considering here the colors used on Conan`s grandfather story, though), it does not look like in both stories the same artist colored them. Cimmeria is very well done, wish things were always like that.