146 replies to this topic

#1 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

(please, some responsible mod relocate this to an appropriate thread...)

mod edit: no reason to move, it can stand alone, I did alter the title, though. PaulMc.

Franco sucks, but Serkis and Brian Cox are involved:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318514/
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#2 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

It's only a 5 second clip but when the ape's eyes move, it makes me jump. (assuming it is Caesar?) Never thought I'd get a "creepy" vibe from a PotA movie, but maybe it's just the different edge it needs.

It's a loose remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

Timeline wise, they are starting at the beginning.

I wonder where they go after that, though. First off, we all know the punchline of the original movie. There's no real surprise if they have a far-future time-travel story in a later movie where the hero realizes "it's been Earth all along."

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#3 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

The new logo...

Posted Image

Classic typeface, which hopefully isn't part of a bait-and-switch ploy.

Tex
(who will stick with the originals)

#4 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

That is SUCH a tease.

;)
All that we see or seem

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#5 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

That is SUCH a tease.

;)

Yes. I wonder if it is a real movie scene (like, maybe when Caesar becomes cognizant and clever) or if it was just a WETA proof-of-concept for CGI apes.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#6 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

If you are in front of a computer at 5PM (or 5:30?) EST today (Apr 13, 2011,) and have Facebook, WETA is supposed to be unveiling 'new' footage.

Hopefully, it is not the 5 second clip we've already seen.

http://www.facebook....196350580404232

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#7 Lord Greystoke

Lord Greystoke

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

bleedingcool.com also carrying it for non facebook types http://www.bleedingc...-the-apes-live/

#8 Lord Greystoke

Lord Greystoke

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

that was a treat !!
full trailer online tomorrow !

#9 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:48 AM

Planet of the Apes was my first moment of bona fide geekness, way back when I was 7 years old, and "Conquest" is by far my favorite sequel. Yeah. I can't friggin' wait to see this one.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#10 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:23 AM

Yeah, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes was an awesome movie. I really loved it, maybe
more than the first one(but probably not) Battle for the Planet of the Apes was horrible
It had no budget and shouldn't have been made

#11 ThuleanWarrior

ThuleanWarrior

Wasteland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

My favorite has always been Beneath the Planet of the Apes. I image it will be a cold day in hell before that ever gets a remake. Thankfully.

#12 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

wow. this looks sick.

I even had some of the action figures from Planet when I was a kid. The gorilla general and I had some of the soldier figures too with those carbines...always had them fighting with six million dollar man. What cool toys.

Anyway this looks really good!
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#13 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

Trailer looks pretty good, it's certainly a different take on how it started. I think it would've been more effective with Caesar saying a single word at the end there ("No" would've been really great as a tie-in). It will be interesting to see if they take it as far as the original Conquest did, with humans completely losing by the end of the film.

#14 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

Trailer looks pretty good, it's certainly a different take on how it started. I think it would've been more effective with Caesar saying a single word at the end there ("No" would've been really great as a tie-in). It will be interesting to see if they take it as far as the original Conquest did, with humans completely losing by the end of the film.

i was just reading up on that- apparently there are two endings- one didn't test well and was re cut to show ceasar's girlfriend say "No" when he went apeshyte and threatened to off everyone. the original was just ape mayhem and everything got killed.

wonder if they are going to keep the time travel. hopefully it will be as good as BSG!

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#15 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

i was just reading up on that- apparently there are two endings- one didn't test well and was re cut to show ceasar's girlfriend say "No" when he went apeshyte and threatened to off everyone. the original was just ape mayhem and everything got killed.

Yup.

Original ending had the apes offing everyone in Caesar's city. In light of Watts riots and others, film was recut with Roddy McDowall dubbing a speech for compassion. ("We who are not human, can be humane.") You can kind of hear the timbre change - he is not speaking through makeup. (funny enough, another anecdote from 'Escape from the Planet of the Apes' - McDowall and Hunter were overdubbing and couldn't get it to sound right until they put on the mouth prosthetics!)

And, it took me years to figure this out - it's not necessarily that the apes win all over. But, they destabilize the world enough that mankind starts shooting off nukes - either to suppress the apes or to take advantage of their enemies during the ape riots. Some apes flee the cities before the bombing starts.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#16 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

p.s. - bonus trivia. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes was novelized by John Jakes. Writer of the Brak the Barbarian. :lol:

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#17 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

So I'm officially stoked on this. They seem to be treating it with some seriousness. It's basically a Frankenstein tale, a premise that hasn't been plumbed yet with all of the modern scientific 'advances' on our horizon.

Plausible? I think so. Scary? Hell yeah.
All that we see or seem

#18 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

Here's the trailer:

Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#19 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:13 PM

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_gKq200EBk

wow. that looks seriously seriously good.

an anecdote- visiting the shaolin temple in trinidad, we spent some time down by the beach. on the property where we were staying there was a small monkey.

it was very friendly and had a taste for beer and cookies. I found that out by standing at the gate of its large cage. the first thing that struck me, when it was reaching for my beer, was just how soft its hands were, and then, how freaking HUMAN that hand was.

we really are not that far apart on the evolutionary tree but coming face to face so to speak, with this cousin of ours, was mildly unsettling, and I instantly disliked that it was in a cage, however large and however content it seemed to be.

then you read something like the chimp attack that happened in connecticut and it makes a certain point hit home.

the feeling i got, was if only it knew better...

#20 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:16 PM

I get attacked by chimps all the time. The spiders and Cobras are the worse though.