36 replies to this topic

#21 Sharn

Sharn

Hyborian Blue Iron Swordmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

Wow...yeah Clint Walker...kinda of spooky really. Like looking into the eyes of one of Conan's direct descendents.
- A long bow and a strong bow, and let the sky grow dark!
The cord to the nock, the shaft to the ear, and the king of
Koth for a mark -
- I remember, The dark woods, masking slopes of sombre
hills;
The grey clouds' leaden everlasting arch;
The dusky streams that flowed without a sound,
And the lone winds that whispered down the passes. -
(Cimmeria, REH)
- Every hour harms, it's the last one that kills -

#22 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

Anyone knows if he still worksout?

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#23 Herk

Herk

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

I still prefer somone like Arnold or Ralf Moeller of the Conan T.V. show for Conan. To me Conan must be bigger than life. Clint Walker, great as he was isn't big enough for me. Although since such physiques didn't exsist in Bob Howards time he might have had someone like Walker in his minds eye.

#24 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:59 AM

I still prefer somone like Arnold or Ralf Moeller of the Conan T.V. show for Conan. To me Conan must be bigger than life. Clint Walker, great as he was isn't big enough for me. Although since such physiques didn't exsist in Bob Howards time he might have had someone like Walker in his minds eye.

Well Clint Walker was only 9 years old when Howard died, and even then there were plenty buffer men around, not to mention classic Greek statues etc. I think if Robert E Howard wanted Conan to be a huge body builder, he would have said so. Without being ripped, Walker was still a big, strong guy, and though I agree he'd have needed some work before playing Conan, I'd still take him over the slow, lumbering Ralf Moeller any day! :P

Edited by KG Thunder, 22 January 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#25 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

Whoever said Charles Bronson would have made a good Bran mac Morn, I agree. Remember how ripped and bad assed he looked in Chato's Land?
Freebooter
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#26 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

Whoever said Charles Bronson would have made a good Bran mac Morn, I agree. Remember how ripped and bad assed he looked in Chato's Land?
Freebooter

He looked quite bad-ass in that AND Once Upon a Time in the West. However, considering how flat-nosed Bronson is, I'd think he'd make a better Kosru Malik (The Road of Azrael) or Baibars (Sowers of the Thunder) than a hawk-nosed, pure-bred Pict.

Weren't we talking about the "Perfect Conan"? :blink:

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#27 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

I Yeah you might be able to find body builder or someone who might lok he part but the person has got to act the part and finding actor that look and act the part is damn near impossible.

#28 bubbamakmorn

bubbamakmorn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

In a slightly different direction, wouldn't Charles Bronson have made an awesome Bran Mak Morn? Back in the day, like when he filmed Hard Times, Bronson was in ripped condition, and truly bad-ass!

Bronson as Bran Mak Morn would have been perfect....Clint Walker would have been perfect for Conan...there really just aren't any hard assed actors left any more.Back in the day you had all these MEN....Jack Palance, Lee Marvin, Yul Brenner, Earnest Borgnin, charles Bronson.clint walker.... many who were combat veterens (bronson was a gunner in a bomber)Now most actors are HGH pumped and sooo pretty...most male actors now look like 40 year old boys.

Edited by bubbamakmorn, 31 January 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#29 thatericn

thatericn

Grumpy Gunderman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Location:The vast, uncharted expanses of suburban Southern California

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

If we headed off in a Kull direction, Bronson would have made an excellent Brule.

Back on topic... About two years ago, on another board, postulated a "perfect" Conan recipe:

If one could “design” a perfect screen Conan, here is my formula…

Physically, I’d suggest 1960s-era Clint Walker as the foundation and framework. Mix in a healthy portion of Arnold in his leaner moments, and a dab of “Last of the Mohicans” Daniel Day Lewis for more sinew. Add some Burt Lancaster athleticism, and John Wayne stride.

Characterisation-wise, take a bit of Lancaster danger, and a healthy dose of Wayne’s Ethan Edwards, and some Daniel Craig brooding. If you are on Conan’s bad side, bring to a boil with some Kirk Douglas fury. If you are on his good side, mellow with some James Garner and spice with some Errol Flynn spirit. Add a pinch of William Holden cynicism.

Take the contents and pour into a crust of Clint Eastwood glare and top with Sean Connery charisma. Beef up the voice with plently of Sam Elliot. And, when vowing, cursing or invoking Crom, combine with a generous helping of Charleton Heston.

Serves a full theater of entertained movie-goers.
"Careful with that ax, Eugene"

#30 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

I can almost imagine a 1940's version of The Phoenix on the Sword in the style of King Vidor (Solomon and Sheba 1959).

He's perhaps a bit too good looking to be Conan, but some facial scarring and low bangs should add a pugnacious cast to him.

Of course, like most of the human race, he is a bit too light for Conan IMO. :P

Edited by RJMooreII, 19 April 2012 - 03:46 AM.

"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#31 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hey Bubbamakmorn,
You have a point. Most of the oldtime actors were MEN as you put it. Masculine, all American men, not like some of these pretty boys we have now. Unlike the old gang, many of these now adays would dodge any sort of military service. Off topic, but here are just a rew and their military careers:

Glenn Ford: He interrupted his film career to volunteer for duty in World War II with the United States Marine Corps Reserve on December 13, 1942. He was assigned in March 1943 to active duty at the Marine Corps Base in San Diego. He was sent to Marine Corps Schools Detachment (Photographic Section) in Quantico, Virginia three months later, with orders as a motion-picture production technician. Promoted to sergeant, Ford returned to the San Diego base in February 1944 and was next assigned to the radio section of the Public Relations Office, Headquarters Company, Base Headquarters Battalion. There he staged and broadcast the radio program Halls of Montezuma. Ford was honorably discharged from the Marines on December 7, 1944.
In 1958, he joined the U.S. Naval Reserve and was commissioned as a lieutenant commander and made a public affairs officer. During his annual training tours, he promoted the Navy through radio and television broadcasts, personal appearances, and documentary films. He was promoted to commander in 1963 and captain in 1968.
Ford went to Vietnam in 1967 for a month's tour of duty as a location scout for combat scenes in a training film entitled Global Marine. He traveled with a combat camera crew from the demilitarized zone south to the Mekong Delta. For his service in Vietnam, the Navy awarded him a Navy Commendation Medal. His World War II decorations are as follows: American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal, Rifle Marksman Badge, and the US Marine Corps Reserve Medal. He retired from the Naval Reserve in the 1970s at the rank of captain.[7]

Lee Marvin: Marvin left school to join the United States Marine Corps, serving as a Scout Sniper in the 4th Marine Division.[8] He was wounded in action during the WWII Battle of Saipan, in the assault on Mount Tapochau, during which most of his company ("I" Company, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division) were killed.[9] Marvin's wound (in the buttocks) was from machine gun fire, which severed his sciatic nerve.[10] He was awarded the Purple Heart and was given a medical discharge with the rank of Private First Class.[11] Contrary to rumors, Marvin did not serve with producer and actor Bob Keeshan during World War II.[11]

Charles Bronson: In 1943, Bronson joined the United States Army Air Forces and served as an aircraft gunner in the 760th Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron, and in 1945 as a Superfortress crewman with the 39th Bombardment Group based on Guam.He was assigned to a B-29 bomber. He flew on 25 missions & He was awarded a Purple Heart for wounds received during his service.

Jimmy Stewart: Bomber pilot in WWII, lost a son in Viet Nam.

Jack Palance: He served in the Army Air Force during World War II, and required facial reconstruction after the B-24 bomber he was flying crashed while patrolling the coast of California.

Earnest Borgnine: Borgnine joined the
United States Navy in 1935, after graduation from James Hillhouse High School[4] in New Haven, Connecticut. He was discharged in 1941, but re-enlisted when the United States entered World War II and served until 1945 (a total of ten years), reaching the rank of Gunner's Mate 1st Class. He served aboard the destroyer USS Lamberton (DD-119). His military decorations included the Navy Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal.

Yule Brenner: After Boris Bryner abandoned his family, his mother took Yul and his sister, Vera Bryner, to Harbin, China, where they attended a school run by the YMCA. In 1934 she took them to Paris. By 1940, Brynner had returned to China and he emigrated from Dairen aboard the S.S. President Cleveland, arriving in the U.S. October 25, 1940.[3] During World War II, Brynner worked as a French-speaking radio announcer and commentator for the U.S. Office of War Information, broadcasting propaganda to occupied France.

Paul Fix: Served in Navy in WWI
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#32 Quaz

Quaz

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Well....what a coincidence.....

This was my response on 8/8/11 to a Conan thread here: http://forum.bodybui...37076843&page=2

"IMO....I've always felt a good Conan candidate would be, especially given the strong countenance needed, would be the now deceased Clint Walker.
I think he could be in all the Cimmerian garb and fit the part very well."

http://www.kirbyjona...w_gallery1.html

The latest Conan was close but that's it.....Clint Walker would be the best choice based on my preferred (Frazetta) renditions.

Carry on....

Edited by Quaz, 31 May 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#33 thatericn

thatericn

Grumpy Gunderman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Location:The vast, uncharted expanses of suburban Southern California

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

YESTERDAY was Clint Walker's 85th birthday...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Walker! You would have been the perfect film Conan!
"Careful with that ax, Eugene"

#34 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

I like the looks of this guy - Stephen Dunleavy, as "The Egyptian" in "Spartacus: Vengeance. He has the tall, lean but muscular build I've always pictured as Conan's plus he moves really well (apparently a stuntman.) Not sure about his acting since he never speaks in the series but he looks great.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#35 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Dunno what planet you are from man,lookj up physique pics of John Grimek,or how mabout pics of weightlifter Louis Abele!

John Grimek

http://ditillo2.blog...ohn-grimek.html

Louis Abele

http://ditillo2.blog...-teegarden.html

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#36 ollonois

ollonois

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

imagine a 60's western style adaptation of Beyond the black river with Clint Walker... by the way Jack Palance was specialized in barbarian types in some historical films from the 50's-60's
For I am the Bringer of War
I am The Bearer Of The Black Sword
and my name will be known to all
Lord Elric of the Bright Empire of Melnibone
The Dragonlord

Domine-Dragonlord

#37 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts