4 replies to this topic

#1 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

The only known authentic photograph of Billy the Kid, a tintype taken at Ft. Sumner, New Mexico, sold at auction for $2.3 million. Story here. Was expected to fetch maybe half-a-mil. :o

REH visited Lincoln County, where the feud that launched Billy's career raged. He wrote a very evocative little piece about the ghosts that seemed to haunt the area. It's said that the bitterness of the Lincoln County War influenced his portrayal of the homicidal feudists in "Red Nails."

#2 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

Here's a full body shot :) No pun intended. A book Bob had in his library was The Saga Of Billy The Kid by Burns. This is probably the most accurate portrayal of BTK as Burns interviewed just about everyone alive that knew Billy and not too long after Billy was shot by Pat Garrett. Another bid of trivia about the gun and what type and caliper of gun Pat used to kill Billy and where it is now and how much that would fetch at auction. I found an old cowboy magazine that showoed Pat's wife had it last.

I bet John Maddox might know more about this as he's a true expert on this stuff and weapons as such and knows a lot about BTK. I believe you're right about Lincoln County War contributing to Bob's writing. Red Nails and Beyond The Black River are two of my favorites stories of Bob's. The price paid for the picture is a tidy sum. What do you do with it? Loan it to the Smithsonian, put it on display under tight security and insure it for millions? Curious to know what the buyer is going to do with it.

Billy was an expert with the pistol and rifle better and per Burns killed 21 men and died at age 21. The spanish women liked him a lot and said he was charming and could speak Spanish well.

Posted Image

Fierro:) - Thanks for the story :)

"The annual auction is known for its collection of Wild West memorabilia. Last year, it auctioned off the gun collection of Roy Rogers, "the King of the Cowboys" who appeared in more than 100 movies."

Is Trigger for Sale? Trigger is Roy Rogers horse that's stuffed and who Roy thought of like family.

Back to Billy. The Kid was lucky and fearless and many times bullets were flying by him and either missed him completely or just grazed him.

Edited by Richard, 26 June 2011 - 07:50 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#3 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:34 AM

The Leeds Royal Armouries in the UK has on display John Tunstallís pistol which I gazed upon in awe on my last visit.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#4 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

The Kid was lucky and fearless and many times bullets were flying by him and either missed him completely or just grazed him.

Sounds like Breckinridge Elkins!
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#5 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

I like the fact in the same auction Michael Jackson thriller jacket was sold for 1.8 million dollars.

He was the king over the other famous artist that was sold objects of. Elvis,Beatle couldnt compete with MJ hardcore fans.