Photo

The Savage Tales Of Solomon Kane (Audio)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

I must say that I really enjoyed the unabridged audio book of these stories. I found myself hoping it would never end! Unfortuanatley they did. And in some cases (the fragment stories) it ended rather abruptly. I would have sorely loved to see "The Children of Ashur" completed.

#2 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I would be interested in these, Jessie. Who is marketing them?
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#3 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

They are from Tantor Audio. They were having a sale on their web site for $15 for the MP3 CD (2 disc set) tantor.com

Edited by Jessie, 28 June 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#4 Kaziglu Bey

Kaziglu Bey

Grown Axe Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

I have this set as well but I've only listened to a couple of the stories so far (while driving home from Howard Days a few weeks ago B) ).

At first I wasn't too keen on the reader but he actually does a pretty darn good job.

I'm looking forward to making my way through the whole set, though that may take a while (it took me forever to get through the three Conan audio collections 'cos I only listened to 'em in my car when I wasn't carpooling to work...and my drive isn't that long).

#5 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

I have this set as well but I've only listened to a couple of the stories so far (while driving home from Howard Days a few weeks ago B) ).

At first I wasn't too keen on the reader but he actually does a pretty darn good job.

I'm looking forward to making my way through the whole set, though that may take a while (it took me forever to get through the three Conan audio collections 'cos I only listened to 'em in my car when I wasn't carpooling to work...and my drive isn't that long).

The Conan set (which I own as well) has a couple of errors where the tracks are out of order( usually by one or two) however I was able to sort through them so far. I agree with the narrator on the Kane stories, he grows on you after awhile.

#6 Kaziglu Bey

Kaziglu Bey

Grown Axe Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

The Conan set (which I own as well) has a couple of errors where the tracks are out of order(usually by one or two) however I was able to sort through them so far.

Funny...I didn't have any problems with my Conan audio books (except with some of the reader's pronunciations :huh: ). Do you remember, offhand, which tracks were out of order on yours? I'm curious....

I agree with the narrator on the Kane stories, he grows on you after awhile.

Yeah, he does a pretty good job with the voice characterizations, at least on the few stories I've listened to.

#7 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:22 AM

Between "Xuthal of the Dusk" "Rouges in the House" interuppted the middle of that story. I had to skip ahead two chapters to finish Xuthal, and then Go back to listen to Rouges. This may be the MP3 CD or the way my PC placed them on my Archos. I also had found his pronunciation of a few names and places odd and a bit jarring. I found it interesting that they mentioned the Conan series is in order of publication, whereas the Savage tales of Solomon Kane, they make no mention. In fact I think ( I am not 100% sure on this as I was only recently introduced to the works REH) the Kane adventures are not in publication order.

#8 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:03 AM

I found it interesting that they mentioned the Conan series is in order of publication, whereas the Savage tales of Solomon Kane, they make no mention. In fact I think ( I am not 100% sure on this as I was only recently introduced to the works REH) the Kane adventures are not in publication order.

Indeed, they aren't. The Solomon Kane book was the first one done for Wandering Star (and the Del Rey book, as well as your Audio version, are based on the WS volume). For the Conan and Kull books, Patrice Louinet has established composition order, an essay was provided, etc... The first wasn't as well done.

The French (print, there's no audiobook) version has been "revamped" by Patrice when he translated it: the stories are in chronological order, the unfinished stories are at the end of the book, there's an essay, and it includes the first (better, IMO) version of "Rattle of Bones" and the Malachi Grim yarn.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#9 Kaziglu Bey

Kaziglu Bey

Grown Axe Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

I found it interesting that they mentioned the Conan series is in order of publication, whereas the Savage tales of Solomon Kane, they make no mention. In fact I think ( I am not 100% sure on this as I was only recently introduced to the works REH) the Kane adventures are not in publication order.

Indeed, they aren't. The Solomon Kane book was the first one done for Wandering Star (and the Del Rey book, as well as your Audio version, are based on the WS volume). For the Conan and Kull books, Patrice Louinet has established composition order, an essay was provided, etc... The first wasn't as well done.

The French (print, there's no audiobook) version has been "revamped" by Patrice when he translated it: the stories are in chronological order, the unfinished stories are at the end of the book, there's an essay, and it includes the first (better, IMO) version of "Rattle of Bones" and the Malachi Grim yarn.

Man, it'd sure be nice to have an English edition of the French Solomon Kane collection. Don't get me wrong, the WS/Del Rey volumes are wonderful and all but, knowing that Patrice made improvements, they now feel somewhat...incomplete. :(

#10 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:20 AM

Man, it'd sure be nice to have an English edition of the French Solomon Kane collection. Don't get me wrong, the WS/Del Rey volumes are wonderful and all but, knowing that Patrice made improvements, they now feel somewhat...incomplete. :(

I agree. I had no idea they were "improved". Makes me want to buy the original Pulps just to get the original text. What is the other version of "Rattle of bones"? and what is the "Malachi Grim" yarn?

Edited by Jessie, 30 June 2011 - 02:20 AM.

#11 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:09 AM

Hey Jessie! Welcome to the forum. :)

The Malachi Grim yarn: "The Blue Flame of Vengeance" was written in 1929, it featured Solomon Kane. REH didn't sell it and rewrote it in 1932, changing the hero to Malachi Grim and the title to "Blades of the Brotherhood." It is shorter (and better, IMO) than the first version. I think that the English version has been sent to members of the Robert E. Howard Foundation a few years ago (in a Newsletter?).

The first version of "Rattle of Bones" wasn't published in the pulps. It is actually a (finished) draft. It's the same as the final story, except for the last two pages, which are totally different. REH rewrote the ending before submitting it and what you have in Savage Tales is the text published in Weird Tales in June 1929. I think that the Foundation published the alternate version (the draft) in a Newsletter too.

Patrice and Rusty would have liked to publish the revamped SK book in English. Del Rey declined.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#12 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

I agree. I had no idea they were "improved". Makes me want to buy the original Pulps just to get the original text. What is the other version of "Rattle of bones"? and what is the "Malachi Grim" yarn?

Thanks for the reply! I find all this incredibly fascinating! I would guess that The Malachi Grim story is not avalible anywhere in a book form or some such?