#21 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

What did Kull look like anyway?

I'm gonna give two descriptions, the first one is from Kull's cameo in bran mak morns Kings of Night: "He was built like the Vikings,at once massive and lithe.But his features were not as theirs, and his square cut, lionlike mane of hair was as black as Bran's own. Under heavy brows glittered eyes grey as steel and cold as ice.His bronzed face ,strong and inscrutable,was clean shaven,and the broad forehead beckoned a high intelligence just as the firm jaw and thin lips showed will power and courage.But more than all,the bearing of him,the unconcious lionlike statliness,marked him as a natural king , and ruler of men."
sounds familiar aside grey eyes , doesnt it?heres another:
"The other was a counterpart of the speaker,except that he was slightly larger,taller a thought deeper of chest and broader of shoulder.He gave the impression,even more than the first youth,of dynamic speed concealed in long ,smooth muscles"-Exile of Atlantis.
Both of these descriptions aside eye color( which for the conanmovie sadly no longer matters they are not blue-ing his eyes)are almost interchangeable with Conan, which led me to question how you would cast Kull in a manner that is relatively faithful but maintains a difference to the cinematic conan, so that on the surface its not just " another barbarian movie" to the genereal public, giving people a reason to give Kull a twirl. We as Howard fans know there is a tremendous amount you can do personality wise between the two to make Kull as engaging and different a movie as conan could be,but if Kull had come first ( as a reboot) it would have been just as easy to cast Momoa as kull and be acceptable...i understand actor Kellan Lutz was a runner up...any thought on him as Kull? I think ray stevenson might be a good choice too btw. :)

Thanks!

#22 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

been watching spartacus: vengence, and if this would even ever happen, I kinda think the guy playing 'the egyptian' one of ashurs main dogs, may make an excellent Kull. He looks hard as a rock with a very intelligent hawklike, yet still sinister countenence and would serve as similar enough but a good contrast to Momoas Conan. Of course sadly, this is likely never to happen by valka.... btw his name is stephen dunlevy.

Edited by mario, 26 March 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#23 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

been watching spartacus: vengence, and if this would even ever happen, I kinda think the guy playing 'the egyptian' one of ashurs main dogs, may make an excellent Kull. He looks hard as a rock with a very intelligent hawklike, yet still sinister countenence and would serve as similar enough but a good contrast to Momoas Conan. Of course sadly, this is likely never to happen by valka.... btw his name is stephen dunlevy.

Funny, I was thinking he would make a good Brule.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#24 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

lol I had the guy playing crixus pegged for brule or bran mak morn.the guy playing the egyptian seems a bit taller than the rest ( hard to tell though) thats why I thought he may do well as kull.You can put any number of these guys in a reh thing. I had dustin clare ( gannicus )for either cormac mac art or dark turlogh.wishful thinking alas....

#25 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

Conan Stevens

#26 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Stevens was in Spartacus (Sedullus) and GOT (Gregor Clegane) and apparently will clinch a trifecta in the Hobbit movie as well. ;)

#27 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

yeah i know, haven't seen Spartacus last season yet..

he was ok in AGOT..pity that he left...he was perfect as the Mountain

obviously he does has to improve his acting, a bit..but to be honest, if you see his showreel, at the bits where he plays a "comedic" role, he does have acting skills..
i found him pretty decent
he is really tall and muscular, knows how to handle swords, has worked as a wrestler too and is familiar with choreographed figths etc
he seems to be pretty into the genre, and i think he could make a difference in such movies..

he could be a perfect Baal Pteor for example ;) , if one overlooked the "racial" bit..

maybe even Kull too..i'd prefer him, than a "pretty boy"

#28 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

Its always a pleasure to see conan stevens in these sorts of things he has great presence and hes a bit of a nut. Too bad he couldnt " save face" in spartacus though( crom that was cheesy) However as a lead...I dont know. His age is a factor now ,you'de have to ask the experts in this for sure but I always imagined Kull being at least five to ten years younger than conan when he took the crown. I often wondered if that might have been why he seems to have trouble coping with some of his kingships burdens. To me based on what few king conan stories there are, Conan maybe because he was in his mid forties handled his hardships a little better ( or at least it seemed that way). But the problems they faced were aside phoenix /axe, were apples and oranges too.different subject lol.
In essence I think King Kull should be played by a guy in his mid thirties, king conan early to mid forties.