27 replies to this topic

#1 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

When Conan began production, there's was a ton of talk as to who the ideal choice to play him would be.Everything from wrestlers to low profile actors were in the mix ,and now when Jason Momoa was selected there was a bit of uproar at the time,everything starting with his physical appearance, ability to carry a the lead part, his nationality etc was brought up against him if anyone recalls. Now that he has been seen in the trailer and various photos many fears have been assuaged, though there are those out there who may still doubt him.
And thats fine, his performance remains to be seen. But I do think this somewhat unorthodox casting surprised many of us, be it hardcore or casual fans, and based on that I would like to revisit Kull, which seems to be next on Paradox's hit list.
Aside the basic "who would you want to see play Kull?" i really want to know, how would you physically differentiate Kull from Momoas' Conan? one could basically cast Momoa again , (just cgi grey eyes instead of blue maybe..lol)but that wouldnt make sense for Momoa for Kull. Personally (and its nothing against Momoa as i like him very much for Conan)I would want a larger person, mainly because in my head, I for some reason (though Howard doesnt differentiate too much between them),always imagined Kull as a larger guy in general than Conan. If the conan in my head was say 6'4" and 240 lbs by age 40, the Kull in my head stood 6'6" or even 6'7" at 260 lbs. I think I did this because it makes Kull stand out more in to me a more shrouded time. I dont know who I would cast; On look and only look alone I hate to use the damn wrestler cliche but ugh....triple H. but thats just my conventional 'knee jerk reaction...any thoughts??

#2 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

Excellent idea. Maybe we can start with "how was Kull described by REH?" :)
http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=3747

#3 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:29 AM

I'd go with Dustin Clare from "Spartacus." Might have to be careful on the camera placement (I don't think he's all that tall), but he's dark complected, good with a blade, and has star power charisma.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#4 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

I'd go with Dustin Clare from "Spartacus." Might have to be careful on the camera placement (I don't think he's all that tall), but he's dark complected, good with a blade, and has star power charisma.

funny you should mention him...I was reading my copy of cormac mac art, and had him pegged as that lead...

#5 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Maybe Dwaine Stevenson? Not sure what age he is now though. Then again most of the Kull stories are when he is king, so I awalys picutre him 30s-40s

Posted Image

#6 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

Maybe Dwaine Stevenson? Not sure what age he is now though. Then again most of the Kull stories are when he is king, so I awalys picutre him 30s-40s

Posted Image

Great idea, RobP. Kull could also be played, IMO, by Paul Telfer or Rodrigo Santoro.

#7 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

i am wondering if they will decide to give him the face scar that marvel comics gave him. the only reason i wonder is because the new conan they said tryed to have something for all genre of conan lovers, so i am wondering if kull will get the same treatment?

#8 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

As long as they don't give Thulsa Doom that ridiculous outfit...

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#9 ThuleanWarrior

ThuleanWarrior

Wasteland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

That Dwaine Stevenson guy looks like he would make a great Solomon Kane to me.

#10 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

Oh, come now, all this talk of recasting Kull is extremely disrespectful. I mean, really, what other actor could possibly replace Kevin Sorbo as Kull, Son of Conan?

Honestly. I expected better of you folks. :rolleyes:
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#11 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

Oh, come now, all this talk of recasting Kull is extremely disrespectful. I mean, really, what other actor could possibly replace Kevin Sorbo as Kull, Son of Conan?

Honestly. I expected better of you folks. :rolleyes:

http://instantrimsho...p?sound=rimshot

#12 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

That Dwaine Stevenson guy looks like he would make a great Solomon Kane to me.

I concur there,and a freind said he's a real lust bucket and could rescue her any day.

to the guy that psoted that pic:Gripe grumble grumble,thanks for posting that pick now i've been demoted:p

Edited by Konorg, 12 July 2011 - 12:01 AM.

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#13 Maxmagnus

Maxmagnus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Dwaine = Solomon Kane.
"There is no need to carry me to another prison. My life is already ebbing away. I suggest that you nail me to a cross and burn me alive. My flaming body will be a torch to light my people on their path to freedom."

Gavrilo Princip to the prison govenor

#14 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

I do think, the guy who played crixus in spartacus may make a good brule.

#15 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

what about bulking up the guy from the last punisher movie? think his name is ray stevenson? not sure tho. i also wonder and hope we could get a skull faced thulsa doom. i was so disappointed that he was just a snake wizard man in the 82 film.

#16 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

What did Kull look like anyway?

#17 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

What did Kull look like anyway?

I'm gonna give two descriptions, the first one is from Kull's cameo in bran mak morns Kings of Night: "He was built like the Vikings,at once massive and lithe.But his features were not as theirs, and his square cut, lionlike mane of hair was as black as Bran's own. Under heavy brows glittered eyes grey as steel and cold as ice.His bronzed face ,strong and inscrutable,was clean shaven,and the broad forehead beckoned a high intelligence just as the firm jaw and thin lips showed will power and courage.But more than all,the bearing of him,the unconcious lionlike statliness,marked him as a natural king , and ruler of men."
sounds familiar aside grey eyes , doesnt it?heres another:
"The other was a counterpart of the speaker,except that he was slightly larger,taller a thought deeper of chest and broader of shoulder.He gave the impression,even more than the first youth,of dynamic speed concealed in long ,smooth muscles"-Exile of Atlantis.
Both of these descriptions aside eye color( which for the conanmovie sadly no longer matters they are not blue-ing his eyes)are almost interchangeable with Conan, which led me to question how you would cast Kull in a manner that is relatively faithful but maintains a difference to the cinematic conan, so that on the surface its not just " another barbarian movie" to the genereal public, giving people a reason to give Kull a twirl. We as Howard fans know there is a tremendous amount you can do personality wise between the two to make Kull as engaging and different a movie as conan could be,but if Kull had come first ( as a reboot) it would have been just as easy to cast Momoa as kull and be acceptable...i understand actor Kellan Lutz was a runner up...any thought on him as Kull? I think ray stevenson might be a good choice too btw. :)

#18 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

what about bulking up the guy from the last punisher movie? think his name is ray stevenson? not sure tho. i also wonder and hope we could get a skull faced thulsa doom. i was so disappointed that he was just a snake wizard man in the 82 film.

I like that guy too. I am gonna come up with a short list of possible contenders from actors to atheletes and see how everyone feels. Do you watch sparatcus? I think the guy who plays crixus could make a great brule, or even bran mak morn.

Edited by mario, 13 July 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#19 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

Dwaine = Solomon Kane.

I like the guy who played him in the sk movie based on look as it's not available here yet.My ideal solomon kane was always gonna be a young clint eastwood. but thats not gonna happen lol!

#20 Rufus

Rufus

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

Funny you should mention Ray Stevenson, Im watching HBOs Rome at the moment, he plays Titus Polo. Hes a big strong guy, 64 and naturally broad. Hes mid 40s, and I always considered Kull to be that age when he was King. Great actor with a huge presence and gravitas. Great choice.