Photo

Would You Read New Conan Stories By Unknowns?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Kelgor the Terrible

Kelgor the Terrible

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

You might give Karl Edward Wagner's Conan novel Conan Road of Kings a try . its a very good as is his Bran map Morn novel. Bran map Morn Legion of the Shadows.

Yeah I looked at an excerpt. Sounded pretty convincing in the descriptive passages. Better than the book I read the other week anyway.

#42 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

I've done some writing and editing in the past, and I've always been a big fan of REH and Conan, so naturally I've toyed with the idea of an anthology of Conan stories. In my mind, the stories would be done by mostly new/unknown authors who could hold true to REH's vision of the character. Would you guys read such an anthology, or would the fact that you didn't recognize any author names put you off? Of course, the stories would have to be good Posted Image

Yes, I would; I mean even if it wasn't a very Conany story it's fine if it's interesting fantasy. The trouble with most existing pastiches is that they are both not-Conan and not very interesting otherwise.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#43 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 15,157 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

I've done some writing and editing in the past, and I've always been a big fan of REH and Conan, so naturally I've toyed with the idea of an anthology of Conan stories. In my mind, the stories would be done by mostly new/unknown authors who could hold true to REH's vision of the character. Would you guys read such an anthology, or would the fact that you didn't recognize any author names put you off? Of course, the stories would have to be good smile.gif

Let's see something more like this:

http://www.conan.com...topic=11158&hl=

If your "new/unknown" (and most likely, crappy) writers could pull off tales set in the bigger/overall Conan/Mythos universe, then I could see sorting out the chaff and doing more "Age of Conan"-style stories.

More stories about Conan? On the whole, that destroys any believability. As it stands now (the TOR novels), the Cimmerian can't step out to take a whiz beside a tavern without another "tale of sorcerous high adventure" happening to him.   :rolleyes:  

It becomes unrealistic/superhero-esque/un-Howardian. There are plenty of Hyborian Age tales to tell beyond what happened to Conan.

What pisses me off the most is your assumption that "unknown writers" could just walk in and write stories even remotely equal to the originals from Howard. Howard's Conan/the Hyborian Age isn't some chew toy one throws to children.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#44 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,157 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

One trouble with a shared world series featuring Conan as a major character is that other characters tend to not survive contact with Conan. You'd be asking writers to go to the trouble of investing in characters that are destined to be destroyed by Conan.

Seriously?   :blink:

There are whole nations (let alone individuals) who survive solely/mostly because of Conan in the REH yarns.

People/things who cross Conan? Yeah, they're (probably) going down. Though, one can argue that Turan and Stygia (and Koth and Hyperborea) are all examples of kingdoms that "survived" Conan.

IMO, it's "conflict" NOT "contact" that determines longevity in regard to Conan.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#45 ocianain

ocianain

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

Sure. Why not? I had an epiphany of sorts when I returned to Fantasy. I had often puzzled over why Tolkien produced so much unfinished work, then I realized myth is all about unfinished tales, never ending tales. Now I admire all the work Christopher Tolkien has done for his fathers estate, to preserve its legacy. But imagine the possibilities the estate has before it, imagine the estate commissioned a competition to add to Middle Earth Mythology. Imagine the best poets and writers penning new tales, or completing some old unfinished ones. Some amazing things could be had, in the real world myth is alive, The Ulster Cycle had many hands in its creation, ditto, the Nibelung, Homer, Arthur......

#46 Lunatic

Lunatic

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

If it is an entertaining story why not. Conan fans might consider reading anything Conan-ish I would guess. Fans of a specific author would consider reading anything written by that author.  

#47 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

Unless it's in comic book format, I likely wouldn't read a Conan story by another author, much less an unknown one.  I could likely be convinced to change my mind if I'd heard that the story was exceptional, however.

- The illegitimate son of Crom

#48 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:12 AM

Would much prefer to see an anthology of sword & sorcery stories inspired by Conan and the Weird era of pulp, rather than straight pastiches, even ones only set in the Hyborian age without Conan as a main character. The problem with putting out a "further tales of Conan" is that you're asking writers to labor under Robert E. Howard's shadow. Plus, we need more fresh sword & sorcery stories in the world--new worlds, new approaches, new characters.

Edited by Taran, 10 July 2015 - 05:53 AM.

"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives."
--Solomon Kane

Articles and artwork: http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

Free pulp web serial!: https://zawdamo.wordpress.com/

#49 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,157 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

Would much prefer to see an anthology of sword & sorcery stories inspired by Conan and the Weird era of pulp[ rather than straight pastiches, even ones only set in the Hyborian age without Conan as a main character. The problem with putting out a "further tales of Conan" is that you're asking writers to labor under Robert E. Howard's shadow. Plus, we need more fresh sword & sorcery stories in the world--new worlds, new approaches, new characters.

Great to see you back, Taran.   B)

That said, my main bitch (when I re-upped this thread) was the hubristic nature of "Mussimanno" (or whatever; he wasn't enough of a Howard fan to post beyond this thread) wanting to turn Conan/the Hyborian Age over to "unknowns". He didn't even specify that they even be familiar with Conan or the Hyborian Age.

Basically, it seemed to be: "OK, you got your training wheels. Go get that Co-Naaan story!"

Writing REH pastiches should be a highlight of one's literary career, not the first stepping-stone.

As I've stated elsewhere numerous times, I don't have a problem, categorically, with Howard pastiches.

#50 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

That said, my main bitch (when I re-upped this thread) was the hubristic nature of "Mussimanno" (or whatever; he wasn't enough of a Howard fan to post beyond this thread) wanting to turn Conan/the Hyborian Age over to "unknowns". He didn't even specify that they even be familiar with Conan or the Hyborian Age.

I'd say my main beef, if there is one, is that sword & sorcery has been relegated for the most part to shared worlds, and the authors working in their own styles and settings tend to fly under the radar. That's perfectly natural; there's always going to be a demand for Hyborian Age tales, I suspect, or even the latest Dragon Age tie-in, but S&S feels moribund to me in its current state (at least with the stuff that seems to gain audience traction outside a very tiny niche) because the attention is often focused on going back to the same places and characters over and over again.

"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives."
--Solomon Kane

Articles and artwork: http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

Free pulp web serial!: https://zawdamo.wordpress.com/