Photo

Would You Read New Conan Stories By Unknowns?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

One trouble with a shared world series featuring Conan as a major character is that other characters tend to not survive contact with Conan. You'd be asking writers to go to the trouble of investing in characters that are destined to be destroyed by Conan.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#42 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

depends on the format. I would like to see new short stories rather than novel length ones, i think they suit the character a little better and ( i mean this in the most affectionate way possible) there's less of a chance of it getting over scrutized ( by myself too lol).I also always liked the concept that Conan's stories were meant to be told by an adventurer telling his lifes stories at random and at different times in his life ( i dont remember the exact qoute REH made in the letter but I know y'all know the one, and i dont have a book in front of me or near me right now) with the hyborian age essay serving as a canvas , not a bible. It frees the character up , I personally am not a fan of any sort of franchise /expanded universe stuff.But again mho. :)

#43 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'd lean toward the short story anthology format too, and maybe try to stick to talking about things mentioned by Howard (Conan's time in the Iron Tower, a first meeting with Thutmekri, Taurus's theft mentioned in TOTE, maybe even the burning of Valeledad from the Red Nails draft). This way, you keep it to the original material, but also keep it manageable so we hopefully don't end up with another Conan of Venarium.

#44 muskrat

muskrat

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

I see no harm in pastiche Conan. There's been too many of them to worry about whether it's right or not. We'll always have Howard's stories, nobody can harm those. It's too bad Bob didn't write more, but whatayagonna do?

Would I read new Conan pastiche? No. I read a bunch when I was a kid--actually preferred them then, as they were easier to read. Now I find them all dull and pointless compared to the real thing. Nobody can write like ol' Two-Gun, nor should they try. As for comics, I view them as a seperate medium entirely, and enjoy much of the old Savage Sword stuff. It ain't really Bob, but them's some damn good comics all the same.

#45 Kelgor the Terrible

Kelgor the Terrible

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

You might give Karl Edward Wagner's Conan novel Conan Road of Kings a try . its a very good as is his Bran map Morn novel. Bran map Morn Legion of the Shadows.

Yeah I looked at an excerpt. Sounded pretty convincing in the descriptive passages. Better than the book I read the other week anyway.

#46 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

I've done some writing and editing in the past, and I've always been a big fan of REH and Conan, so naturally I've toyed with the idea of an anthology of Conan stories. In my mind, the stories would be done by mostly new/unknown authors who could hold true to REH's vision of the character. Would you guys read such an anthology, or would the fact that you didn't recognize any author names put you off? Of course, the stories would have to be good Posted Image

Yes, I would; I mean even if it wasn't a very Conany story it's fine if it's interesting fantasy. The trouble with most existing pastiches is that they are both not-Conan and not very interesting otherwise.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian