10 replies to this topic

#1 Charon of Styx

Charon of Styx

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:27 AM

Was not sure if I should post this topic here or in the Conan film area, so with a toss of a coin it ends up here.

Recently I obtain some printing mechanical paste-ups and various art works for Amra Fanzine from the late Great George Scither's Estate. One of these items was the complete mechanicals for issue 49, dated 1968. Among the 20 pages was some photos of a bodybuilder modeling I assume as Conan on pages 18 and 19. The contents gave on page 2 of the fanzine give a name of Paul Gerrior.

Can anyone confirm that this is the name of the model and any information about him? Whoever he is could one say he is the first Conan actor/model on film professionally? If not who is the first Conan actor/model on film professionally?

Edited by Charon of Styx, 20 July 2011 - 01:57 AM.

#2 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:03 AM

Not sure if you could count someone posing for a still photograph as an "actor" "on film", as that typically means motion picture.

If not who is the first Conan actor/model on film professionally?

Arnold Schwarzennegger.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#3 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:24 AM

Yes, Arnold was the first to play Conan on film; perhaps this Paul Gerrior was considered early in the production, along with (allegedly) Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds.

#4 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:00 AM

Any chance you could scan the pictures? I am curious to see these.

#5 finmaccool

finmaccool

Warrior

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

Yes, Arnold was the first to play Conan on film; perhaps this Paul Gerrior was considered early in the production, along with (allegedly) Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds.

When the first Conan movie was in pre-production, the first actor considered would have been Charles Bronson. Various producers and powers that be felt that Bronson would have been okay as King Conan, but for a series character they needed a younger lead.
At the time Pumping Iron, a tremendously influential documentary about Body Building was just going to be released and Ed Summer, George Lucas and Steven Speilberg all saw a rough cut of it with Edd Pressman. Pressman was taken with Arnold Schwarzenegger and said he felt Arnold had a lot of charisma, but wondered what part he would be good for. The others immediately mentioned Conan and then showed Pressman some Lancer Conan paperbacks with Frazetta covers and some issues of Savage Sword. Pressman then went out and signed Shwarzenegger to a three picture contract.
Other actors being looked at for different parts in the film included Raquel Welch as Red Sonja, Sean Connery as a Wizard and Lou Ferrigno as a bad guy.

#6 JohnitoZ

JohnitoZ

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:27 AM

Was not sure if I should post this topic here or in the Conan film area, so with a toss of a coin it ends up here.

Recently I obtain some printing mechanical paste-ups and various art works for Amra Fanzine from the late Great George Scither's Estate. One of these items was the complete mechanicals for issue 49, dated 1968. Among the 20 pages was some photos of a bodybuilder modeling I assume as Conan on pages 18 and 19. The contents gave on page 2 of the fanzine give a name of Paul Gerrior.

Can anyone confirm that this is the name of the model and any information about him? Whoever he is could one say he is the first Conan actor/model on film professionally? If not who is the first Conan actor/model on film professionally?

A google search does show a Paul Gerrior who was around that time and who was apparently, um shall we say, um, a "physique model". An article I saw compared him to Clint Walker. An image search shows primarily recent pics of him, but I did find one where he obviously had the build and the face for a Conan pictorial.

Edited by JohnitoZ, 11 August 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#7 Kelgor the Terrible

Kelgor the Terrible

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

When the first Conan movie was in pre-production, the first actor considered would have been Charles Bronson. Various producers and powers that be felt that Bronson would have been okay as King Conan, but for a series character they needed a younger lead.

That's funny because I joke with a friend that I would like to make a fake trailer for a 1960s Conan movie starring Charles Bronson and Laurence Olivier as his sorcerer nemesis using stock footage. Didnt know he was seriously considered. Welch as RS? She reminds me of D Gillespie in the People that Time Forgot (which featured a Conan the Destroyer co star, and Frazetta paintings as set decorations). I have wondered if she didnt influence the comics depictions of RS or someone associated with PTTF was a comics and sword and sorcery fan because change her clothes to the RS costume and she would really look like the late 70s RS (or at least the one I remember from a Spider-man Marvel team up issue by John Byrne).

#8 duaneshadow

duaneshadow

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

I've always thought that Connery was the perfect man for the job. presence, build, acting chops and charisma. Jack Palance's face aside, he was the perfect choice.
'why does he have to be a misfit? Why can't he be handsome and kind?'

'You're still a dreamer girl'.

#9 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

That's funny because I joke with a friend that I would like to make a fake trailer for a 1960s Conan movie starring Charles Bronson and Laurence Olivier as his sorcerer nemesis using stock footage. Didnt know he was seriously considered. Welch as RS? She reminds me of D Gillespie in the People that Time Forgot (which featured a Conan the Destroyer co star, and Frazetta paintings as set decorations). I have wondered if she didnt influence the comics depictions of RS or someone associated with PTTF was a comics and sword and sorcery fan because change her clothes to the RS costume and she would really look like the late 70s RS (or at least the one I remember from a Spider-man Marvel team up issue by John Byrne).

A Conan Film Made in the 60's? Hm, could have been fun. :)

#10 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

I've always thought that Connery was the perfect man for the job. presence, build, acting chops and charisma. Jack Palance's face aside, he was the perfect choice.

After seeing Zardoz I just can't envision Connery in the part Conan. Now Jack Palace would have made a very good Bran Ma Morn. :)

#11 Toadyking

Toadyking

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

One of the 60s sword and sandals stars who appeared more like the aquiline blue eyed Conan rather than the Clark Kent-chin Hercules guys was Kirk Morris.