Photo

Conan The Barbarian (2011) - Reviews & Comments & *spoilers*

• Please log in to reply
1316 replies to this topic

Poll: Conan The Barbarian (2011) - Reviews & Comments & *spoilers* (233 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate Conan the Barbarian (2011)?

1. Excellent (24 votes [10.30%])

Percentage of vote: 10.30%

2. Good (71 votes [30.47%])

Percentage of vote: 30.47%

3. It's Just OK (46 votes [19.74%])

Percentage of vote: 19.74%

4. Voted Poor (32 votes [13.73%])

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

5. Bad (50 votes [21.46%])

Percentage of vote: 21.46%

6. Won't be seeing it (10 votes [4.29%])

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#861 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

Trying to figure out how there's 54 "Good" reviews when there's only been a handful of favorable comments in this thread.

#862 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Trying to figure out how there's 54 "Good" reviews when there's only been a handful of favorable comments in this thread.

I'm sure we have a lot of lurkers. Commenting here with anything that goes against the grain of some is a risky prospect. Many people probably just come here to read and learn, and not make a fuss about a difference of opinion.

#863 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

My honest guess? The young ladies that are super Momoa fans.
"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#864 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

If that were true, then why did they all drag their boyfriends to see "The Help" instead of Conan 3 weeks ago?

#865 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

Fear of being exposed as a lover of dumb movies I reckon!

I like The Scorpion King so I can of course afford to be smug here! :D
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#866 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

If that were true, then why did they all drag their boyfriends to see "The Help" instead of Conan 3 weeks ago?

Because their boyfriends are spineless whimpering whelps? I fail to see why anyone would think this film is no less than Uwe Boll SyFy-like garbage and rate it "good" unless the voter is simply a Momoa super fan.
"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."

#867 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

Because their boyfriends are spineless whimpering whelps? I fail to see why anyone would think this film is no less than Uwe Boll SyFy-like garbage and rate it "good" unless the voter is simply a Momoa super fan.

I see what you're saying. It's weird because there seems to be a large positive following, here and on the Age of Conan game forum as well. It seems completely contrary to the box office numbers. Then again, this is a forum for fans, so there's always a popular bias to take into account.

#868 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

Hey now, some people see both movies.

#869 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

i think those who liked it are lurkers and then those like me have said they liked it and continue to read what is posted but i for one know this wasn't a great film but i did like it because it was a closer version of conan than i have seen on the screen, despite all the plot holes and the REALLY bad directing and editing i liked that the main character didn't have to learn a moral lesson and he had no problem with killing , the movie it self had plenty of stereo typical problems with it , but conan him self didn't suffer from these that seem to plague "good guys" on film or even most books. he lived be his whims and own code of honor .
the way the film was shot was horrible i will be first to admit that, and think things like scorpion king and kull had been directed or shot better i much liked this films approach to conan. i think the story would not have been a bad one if it was fleshed out more still a stereo typical kinda fantasy plot but they could have made it much better. if the rumor of nispel not wanting to shoot story scenes and only do action then he should have been let go at that point.
i love the original yarns more than anything. i have come to grips with the fact that we shall never see conan in short red breeches and high strapped sandals :( and they pry will never get the nations right as making them (to me anyway) stylized versions of historic places out of time.
the fact that conan had a path in this film and just cut his way threw it was what i liked the most , there were a few lines of momoas that really made my teeth grind on second viewing , but over all i still liked it.
i think if most any of us here were hired to direct this film or even a lover of the real conan was we would have seen a much better film .
i also liked that conan didn't act emotionally crippled by his past he didn't sit around pondering what has happened being haunted by it.
and crom help me i can rip into this film with my teeth as much as any of us , lol , theres lots of things such as when zip gets to the temple were tamara is you don't see any side roads then later tamara escapes out one why use the same scene pict????? thats just silly, not to mention no one there hearing the army and elephants walking up to the walls to knock them over??????

#870 stonecold-mike

stonecold-mike

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:55 PM

I'm sure we have a lot of lurkers. Commenting here with anything that goes against the grain of some is a risky prospect. Many people probably just come here to read and learn, and not make a fuss about a difference of opinion.

Absolutely.

Also, to Roargathor's comment, in the message boards of sites like Dark Horse Comics, Comicbook Resources, and Superhero Hype, there's also very positive following.

#871 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

I just hope it's enough.

#872 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

Im a member of Comicbook Resources forums and that Conan thread is not as many old fans as here but most posts are " it was cheap gore feast" or they nitpick why this part didnt work or that. Most there are Arnold Conan fans who dont like it better than fans here....

Hardly more positive than here.

#873 lespaul59

lespaul59

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:59 AM

I voted good but haven't said anything because after taking time to think about it I would probaly vote it's just ok. I actually like the book better than the movie because you get more of the story. I actually wonder about how differently my thought about the movie would be if I hadn't read the book before watching the movie. I thought the story was lacking and could have been better. I would have liked to have seen less action and more story.

#874 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:34 AM

How did the elephant-powered ship sneak up on the monastery? Stealth elephants. In soft leather moccasins.

Q:Why do elephants wear sneakers?
A:So they can sneak up on monasteries.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#875 Atali

Atali

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

I would have liked to have seen less action and more story

My sentiments exactly. As I said in another post, it's just a cobbled together set of scenes that hardly make sense.

A bit off topic:

Ironhand: elephants don't need sneakers! :D They walk softly and and lightly can be quite noiseless (they have soft soles). Quite amazing when you think of it - a five-ton animal walking without a sound...

#876 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

Shame this version of the script wasn't written before the film was shot , sounds more entertaining ;)

http://www.the-editi...arian-2011.html

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#877 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hey now, some people see both movies.

Very true! :lol: I have not been dragged kicking and screaming to this one yet. Sometimes I do go along with my wife willingly :D

#878 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

Shame this version of the script wasn't written before the film was shot , sounds more entertaining ;)

Terry

:D

"A second MacGuffin? That's bulls***!"

hahahahaha!

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#879 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

i'm not ashamed to say that i voted "good"

i already told the guy at the video store to
pre-order me a copy as soon as it becomes
aviable
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#880 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

Terry

:D

"A second MacGuffin? That's bulls***!"

hahahahaha!

Love this part...

RAAD RAWI, head of an ancient priestly order, sits around with a whole bunch of SUPER HOT NUNS.

RAAD RAWI

When I close my eyes, I see you getting it on with a big manly warrior.

RACHEL NICHOLS

Wow, it must be amazing to see the future.

RAAD RAWI

Huh? I can't see the future.