Photo

Conan The Barbarian (2011) - Reviews & Comments & *spoilers*

• Please log in to reply
1316 replies to this topic

Poll: Conan The Barbarian (2011) - Reviews & Comments & *spoilers* (233 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate Conan the Barbarian (2011)?

1. Excellent (24 votes [10.30%])

Percentage of vote: 10.30%

2. Good (71 votes [30.47%])

Percentage of vote: 30.47%

3. It's Just OK (46 votes [19.74%])

Percentage of vote: 19.74%

4. Voted Poor (32 votes [13.73%])

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

5. Bad (50 votes [21.46%])

Percentage of vote: 21.46%

6. Won't be seeing it (10 votes [4.29%])

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1161 ghost of '82

ghost of '82

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Well, I've seen it. Here's a link to my review on my blog-

http://filmjournal.n...barbarian-2011/

If you have time/interest give it a look and leave comments there if you like. I guess I agree with most sentiments raised here on this forum. Lost opportunity, basically. Shame.
Tempus Fugit!

#1162 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

I've finally sat down and watched the film :) I quite enjoyed it as it goes, though it's more Jordan than Howard. Still, until they make a Howard story that has a Howard Conan in it that satisfies the majority of us then we haven't had our Conan Doyle/Jeremy Brett moment of perfection.
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#1163 Arcadian

Arcadian

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

I also finally watched it; I'll browse through the reviews to compare views, but my main take-away was that it was kind of boring. I watched the first quarter of the movie or so to the point where we first see Conan as an adult, and I thought to myself I'd rather go to sleep and watch the rest the next day, and I did.

#1164 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

Watching this film 3d was painful. :(

#1165 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Watching this film 3d was painful. :(

I am really unhappy about this whole 3D thing. I liked Avatar in 3D, and I intend to watch some of the Star Wars reissues in 3D, movies in which we can view vast vistas in great depth. There may be other examples of situations where 3D really adds to a movie. But just randomly throwing 3D at random movies is senseless, IMHO.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#1166 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Saw Phantom Menace in 3D last week , to be honest IMO it adds very little to the film - though it's nice to see it on the big screen again!

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#1167 BasilBJr

BasilBJr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'm wondering if the Mask of Acheron being a tentecled thing, and that tentecled beast were nods to Lovecraft.

#1168 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

Saw Phantom Menace in 3D last week , to be honest IMO it adds very little to the film - though it's nice to see it on the big screen again!

Terry

Agreed. It was kind of underwhelming. On the other hand, it is the worst in the series. I'm definately looking more forward to the Death Star battles (especially A New Hope) as well as Empire's asteroid chase in 3D.

I'm wondering if the Mask of Acheron being a tentecled thing, and that tentecled beast were nods to Lovecraft.

More like REH's Lovecraftian influence.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#1169 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

I just saw Red Tails. Now THERE is a movie that could legitimately use 3D, but they didn't; there is no 3D version. Maybe they thought it was too serious a movie to muck up with 3D.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#1170 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Terry

Agreed. It was kind of underwhelming. On the other hand, it is the worst in the series. I'm definately looking more forward to the Death Star battles (especially A New Hope) as well as Empire's asteroid chase in 3D.

Yes certainly the worst but wth it beng one of the newer films I was hoping for better in the space scenes - only problem at one per year I'll be an OAP by the time we get to the last :blink:

Terry

Edited by terryallenuk, 22 February 2012 - 11:09 AM.

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

#1171 Ytheogan

Ytheogan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I spent much of the movie bored out of my mind. I scarcely remember anything from it, to be honest. I guess that speaks for itself.

The only surprise was that Jason Momoa wasn't nearly so bad as I thought he'd be. Had they just made a faithful adaptation out of one of Howard's yarns it'd probably have been great.

#1172 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:03 AM

Has anyone else watched the battle scenes in slow motion? They're pretty awesome. Momoa's a true prodigy.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#1173 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

you know, this is gonna sound weird and it may have less to do with him playing conan than his own personality.At times he had this expressiveness in him that when it becomes explosive in certain scenes, it actually made me think of a similar explosiveness & charisma that Bruce Lee brought to his films. I'm not saying he is the 'next bruce lee'( I myself loathe it when people say'" he is the next John Lennon or Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain") I'm just saying the emotion he put into the performance ( no matter if you like or hate the movie he did put alot into it, and it is not easy) and the physicality and speed, he has a lot of potential to do well, despite this movies poor box office.He is filming a movie with stallone bullett to the head,i think, he may be a villain in it.

#1174 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

you know, this is gonna sound weird and it may have less to do with him playing conan than his own personality.At times he had this expressiveness in him that when it becomes explosive in certain scenes, it actually made me think of a similar explosiveness & charisma that Bruce Lee brought to his films. I'm not saying he is the 'next bruce lee'( I myself loathe it when people say'" he is the next John Lennon or Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain") I'm just saying the emotion he put into the performance ( no matter if you like or hate the movie he did put alot into it, and it is not easy) and the physicality and speed, he has a lot of potential to do well, despite this movies poor box office.He is filming a movie with stallone bullett to the head,i think, he may be a villain in it.

Momoa was the best thing to come out of the whole project, IMO. I say that having slammed him to begin with.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#1175 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

I rated him decently going in before the flick, and agree with all sentiments that he was the best part of the sloppy mess, and then even more so when he said this after it lol....:

“I wish, but we never heard from any of those assholes after it came out...I haven’t heard a word from anyone – it’s kind of really sad..."

I think that completely eradicates his Khal Drogo vs Conan "flopper".
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#1176 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

He came off as a TV actor to me. No presence. And I've never seen any of his other work that I'm aware of.

#1177 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

well until they let him go out like boba fett, he had a very decent turn in game of thrones.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#1178 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

Yeah I keep hearing that. I've got to take a look at that show one of these days.

#1179 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

Momoa was the best thing to come out of the whole project, IMO. I say that having slammed him to begin with.

He did a decent job of portraying Conan.

#1180 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

A mass lawsuit against 2,165 alleged downloaders of ‘Conan The Barbarian’ was filed at the United States District Court for the District of Maryland last Friday. Through this legal action movie studio Nu Image hopes to collect millions of dollars in settlement fees. Details of the case reveal that the lawyers have learned from past mistakes, increasing the risk for those accused of copyright infringement.

REST AT : http://torrentfreak....n-court-120227/

Hmmm , perhaps if they get enough we might see another film!

Terry