Photo

Conan The Barbarian (2011) - Reviews & Comments & *spoilers*

• Please log in to reply
1316 replies to this topic

Poll: Conan The Barbarian (2011) - Reviews & Comments & *spoilers* (233 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate Conan the Barbarian (2011)?

1. Excellent (24 votes [10.30%])

Percentage of vote: 10.30%

2. Good (71 votes [30.47%])

Percentage of vote: 30.47%

3. It's Just OK (46 votes [19.74%])

Percentage of vote: 19.74%

4. Voted Poor (32 votes [13.73%])

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

5. Bad (50 votes [21.46%])

Percentage of vote: 21.46%

6. Won't be seeing it (10 votes [4.29%])

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1181 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:48 AM

A mass lawsuit against 2,165 alleged downloaders of ‘Conan The Barbarian’ was filed at the United States District Court for the District of Maryland last Friday. Through this legal action movie studio Nu Image hopes to collect millions of dollars in settlement fees. Details of the case reveal that the lawyers have learned from past mistakes, increasing the risk for those accused of copyright infringement.

REST AT : http://torrentfreak....n-court-120227/

Hmmm , perhaps if they get enough we might see another film!

Terry

As of now , has the film come even close to recouping its money?

#1182 Evil Thoth-Amon

Evil Thoth-Amon

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

A mass lawsuit against 2,165 alleged downloaders of ‘Conan The Barbarian’ was filed at the United States District Court for the District of Maryland last Friday. Through this legal action movie studio Nu Image hopes to collect millions of dollars in settlement fees. Details of the case reveal that the lawyers have learned from past mistakes, increasing the risk for those accused of copyright infringement.

OK, it's oficial. This people are the biggest morons on Earth,
The natural state of mankind is slavery. The only question is who commands and who obeys...

#1183 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

OK, it's oficial. This people are the biggest morons on Earth,

"This people"? You might want to check your grammar there, ETA.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#1184 Anastasia

Anastasia

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Fiinally watched Conan on Blu Ray, very disapointing!? I think the direction was the problem, far too little creative flourishes or real grit! Jason was great, gave a good shot at being Conan. Still not much on offer from a womans point of view! But then I presume that the movie was aimed at a more male audience. Shame such a waste of a franchise....

Still it is Hollywood la la land! So maybe a reboot, rehash will come to light in the near future!

#1185 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

If they do a reboot or a retake or whatever with it, it have to be done at the top level from the very beginning. Otherwise it will only flop such as this one. The shame is that Conan is a character that could be done both entertaining and still magnificent. Watching some of the movies that have the atmosphere, gloomy dark and heavy richness, a good story, a good director and other crew, with the right approach it could be a magnificent movie. Dark, broad, heavy, rich, weird in a way, horror and mystic could suck in even the people who never even heard of it. Everything is in approach really. You can make a masterpiece out of virtually nothing and you can crap up the best source material ever done so everything is just up to the people who make it.

I would like to see another take on it but to be done nothing short of a masterpiece. It can be done and Conan, anything you do actually, deserves such a treatment. No matter what you do, give it your best shoot. Crap or get off the pot.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#1186 Malak

Malak

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

My experience with the new Conan flick:

I went to see it with two girls and one other guy. All of them hated it and the guy said it was the worst movie he ever watched. I remember "defending" the movie by saying that Transformers 3 was even worse... which says a lot about the standards we are talking about here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I consider it a dull film that is mediocre at best and that can't even be savored as some sort of guilty pleasure, cheesy B-movie. To be honest, I don't remember too much about it, but I don't feel like ever watching it again to refreshen my memories (or pains).
If there is anything positive to say about Conan (2011), it is that it's a little closer to the source material than other REH "adaptations" such as Conan (1982) and possibly even Solomon Kane. However, the difference is that Conan (1982) and SK work as a film, Conan (2011) doesn't.

While I agree that Jason Momoa was an excellent casting choice, I also have to agree with ETA that he shouldn't be cast for another Conan movie. If Momoa played Conan again, people would connect this new movie with the 2011 trainwreck... and this should be adverted at any cost.

#1187 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

If not J. Momoa then who? I did´nt watch baywatch but ever since I saw that guy on Stargate Atlantis, I thought...that is space-conan!

Actually I first believed they would cast Thomas Jane in it, just because he starred in another paradox movie, Mutant Chronicles. But seriously, J Momoa is bigger now because of succesful Game of Thrones series. If he even wantsto to it, they should use Momoa.

#1188 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Read Malak's comments again. :)

#1189 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

I wonder though myself, even if they actually went ahead and decided to do a sequel, would Momoa even want to bother with it ? You remember his comments about not hearing from those"a$$h013s". He may be bitter about the experience and not want to do it at all. He's moved on , he's doing a flick with Stallone(in a wlater hill flick ,I might add) and I'm sure there's more down the pipeline.What would be the incentive?

#1190 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

The role of Conan should have been a huge boost to Jason Momoa's career.I cant think of a better actor to be cast in the role.Jason was Cary Nord's Conan brought to life...his height,his speed,his athleticism brought his Conan to life.All Jason needed was the blue eyes and maybe a little more size.I can't think of a better actor to cast.The movie while not a masterpiece by any means it is no where near as bad as some make it out to be.In the name of the King was horrible yet it got a sequel.Ghost Rider wasn't all that spectacular yet it got Spirits of Vengence.I've only seen the first Scorpion King yet there have been three movies made.How awful was Batman Forever yet we still got Batman Begins and the Dark Knight.I read a script for the sequel which was based of A Witch Shall Be Born.....I think with the right direction Jason Could have nailed that.I thought he made an excellent Conan and whether you loved or hated the movie I'm sure most fans would agree they want to see more of Conan on the big screen.I still watch and enjoy the dvd and still hope we get a sequel.

#1191 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

The role of Conan should have been a huge boost to Jason Momoa's career.I cant think of a better actor to be cast in the role.Jason was Cary Nord's Conan brought to life...his height,his speed,his athleticism brought his Conan to life.All Jason needed was the blue eyes and maybe a little more size.I can't think of a better actor to cast.The movie while not a masterpiece by any means it is no where near as bad as some make it out to be.In the name of the King was horrible yet it got a sequel.Ghost Rider wasn't all that spectacular yet it got Spirits of Vengence.I've only seen the first Scorpion King yet there have been three movies made.How awful was Batman Forever yet we still got Batman Begins and the Dark Knight.I read a script for the sequel which was based of A Witch Shall Be Born.....I think with the right direction Jason Could have nailed that.I thought he made an excellent Conan and whether you loved or hated the movie I'm sure most fans would agree they want to see more of Conan on the big screen.I still watch and enjoy the dvd and still hope we get a sequel.

Sadly it isn't about whether or not a film is 'good', it's about whether it makes a ton of money or not. Conan the Barbarian (2011) did not.

#1192 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

I don't know the amount of money the movies I mentioned above made but I'm pretty sure none of them broke any box office records...especially In the Name of the King.I know that movie sequels are determined by the amount of money the original outings generate but yet sequels get made for really bad movies.I don't think ITNOTK made a lot of money.Ang Lee's Hulk I thought was pretty much a disaster yet we got a reboot\sequel The Incredible Hulk.I know Conan 2011 didn't make any money....I know the chances for a second film are pretty slim but I still hope that one can be made.If ITNOTK2 can be made so can a second Conan film.The potential to make money is still there...In the right hands Conan could be a red hot property and I'm sure that there are people in the movie industry that know this.It's up to CPI to get the ball rolling and get back in the saddle.Just because it seems like an impossible task doesn't mean it cant be done.

[color=#fafafa !important][/color]Posted Image

#1193 lespaul59

lespaul59

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Ghost Rider is the only movie you mention here that had a sequal that was a theatrical release. And from what I've read my understanding is Sony made GR2 so it didn't lose the rights to the character. And Batman Begins and the Dark Knight are a compleat reboot of Batman. And people still claim that Batman and Robin had a negative effect on BB box office even though BB came out seven years after B&R. And personaly low budget direct to video sequals that don't even have the same actors or in some cases the same story line aren't really any thing to brag about in my opinion.

I don't know the amount of money the movies I mentioned above made but I'm pretty sure none of them broke any box office records...especially In the Name of the King.I know that movie sequels are determined by the amount of money the original outings generate but yet sequels get made for really bad movies.I don't think ITNOTK made a lot of money.Ang Lee's Hulk I thought was pretty much a disaster yet we got a reboot\sequel The Incredible Hulk.I know Conan 2011 didn't make any money....I know the chances for a second film are pretty slim but I still hope that one can be made.If ITNOTK2 can be made so can a second Conan film.The potential to make money is still there...In the right hands Conan could be a red hot property and I'm sure that there are people in the movie industry that know this.It's up to CPI to get the ball rolling and get back in the saddle.Just because it seems like an impossible task doesn't mean it cant be done.

[color=#fafafa !important][/color]Posted Image

The Incredible Hulk was made after Marvel reaquired the rights to the Hulk. And Ang Lee's Hulk seems to have became more well liked over the years and some even consider it the better movie. And a sequal to TIH is probaly only gonna happen based off of the reaction Marvel gets from Hulk being in the Avengers.

Edited by lespaul59, 20 March 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#1194 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

Marvel has a better track record than anyone who's made a Conan movie.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#1195 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

To be honest, I don't remember too much about it, but I don't feel like ever watching it again to refreshen my memories (or pains).
If there is anything positive to say about Conan (2011), it is that it's a little closer to the source material than other REH "adaptations" such as Conan (1982) and possibly even Solomon Kane. However, the difference is that Conan (1982) and SK work as a film, Conan (2011) doesn't.

I hope to never see it again. I'll take the 1982 film over this idiotic adaptation of Conan anyday. As you said, at least that one worked as a film.
"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#1196 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

I wish someone would make a Conan movie as true to the letter and spirit of REH as John Carter was to ERB. Maybe get Stanton to direct the next Conan movie.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#1197 Anastasia

Anastasia

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Having just watched Hellboy 2 last night on TV, I would love to see a Guillermo del Toro directed Conan movie.

#1198 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Guillermo del Toro has taken over the direction of ''At the Mountains of Madness'' film. He could do the job for a Conan film. It's hard to get worse than the latest abominal crap I had to endure. Although I would prefer a Hyborian Age series thing...

#1199 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Oh, wouldn't that be rich, if we had faithful adaptations of Tolkien, Burroughs and Lovecraft all in one swoop. I'd be so happy for their fans... :(

#1200 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

When I think of Del Toro doing a Conan movie, the first story that comes to mind is Pool of the Black One. I think he could do a really good job with that story, as long as he didn't make it look too Del Toro, since he does have a distinct visual style that might not work 100% for Conan. Tower of the Elephant is another story I think he'd be good for, especially since it's more weird horror and less action action action. That was my biggest disappointment with the 2011 film; it was just all action with none of the horror or suspense found in so many of the REH Conan stories.