http://filmswords.co...onan3ddiary.htm

#2 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

museum replicas is also making them and the ones from the old films, and hoping they won't cost as much as the film swords company
http://www.museumrep...oming-soon.aspx

#3 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

The link fell apart. I can't make a simple URL work as a link!?
http://www.museumreplicas.com/
Go to "Shop for Licensed Products" and select "Coming Soon".

#4 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

museum replicas is also making them and the ones from the old films, and hoping they won't cost as much as the film swords company
http://www.museumrep...oming-soon.aspx

So Museum Replicas are making the originals? Alongside Albion and Marto's versions?
They are usually affordable and functional. It should be interesting.
Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#5 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

i looked on museum replicas face book page and some people think they will still be around 300 or 400 , I'm hoping not, ill pay like 200-250 for a functional one, but i thought i read on there also they will weight at around 8 pounds.
no mention of the new movie swords , oddly enough if they are weighted better ill pick them up, i do like the style of them , and think if they were made in real steal and such would look rather cool. museum rep got it good with the path finder sword so I'm hoping

#6 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

You know I like the pathfinder sword much more than the new Conan movie sword. I didn't realize they made that. I wish I can go to their web site but I'm at work and weapon related sites are restricted.

#7 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

they no longer have the pathfinder sword . it was out a couple go years ago, you may be able to find one some were still I'm not sure.

#8 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:28 AM

B)

Posted Image
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#9 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

But this sword looks like it's in 2D - do you need the 3D glasses to weild it? :D

#10 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

it looks like someone put it in the dryer on high.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#11 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:39 AM

I find it an ugly looking thing (the sword not it's wielder obviously).

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#12 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:01 AM

it's got to be one of the worst weapons ever, compounded by the fact that howard always used real weapons in his stories...helped give them that visceral feel this movie was missing.

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#13 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

it's got to be one of the worst weapons ever, compounded by the fact that howard always used real weapons in his stories...helped give them that visceral feel this movie was missing.

You can use that sword as a metaphor for the film.

#14 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

I think it's a terrible looking sword, looks like the proverbial chocolate teapot, neither use nor ornament

#15 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

like it or not it still requires less trimming down to make it a real functional sword, and as much as i love the old film swords, there no way they are ever functional when they weigh 7 or 8 pounds.
i see no reason a sword maker could not make them all scaled down to the right size and weight a weapon should be id rather have that then a 100% copy of a movie prop be that the new film or old one.
i have toyed with the idea of buying the cheap versions of the old movie swords and refitting them with real blades.

#16 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

like it or not it still requires less trimming down to make it a real functional sword, and as much as i love the old film swords, there no way they are ever functional when they weigh 7 or 8 pounds.
i see no reason a sword maker could not make them all scaled down to the right size and weight a weapon should be id rather have that then a 100% copy of a movie prop be that the new film or old one.
i have toyed with the idea of buying the cheap versions of the old movie swords and refitting them with real blades.

I bet you if that monstrosity that is the newest movie sword wasn't plastic it would weigh at least 12 pounds.

#17 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

Could it be that the movies are copying their weapons from gaming minis with their ornately crude gigantic weapons?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#18 Masterfulks

Masterfulks

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

It's almost like they saw the Conan sword for the Arnold movies and decided the new sword had to be bigger.

A more normal sized sword would have made Momoa's arms look bigger.

#19 Masterfulks

Masterfulks

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Could it be that the movies are copying their weapons from gaming minis with their ornately crude gigantic weapons?

Huge weapons, and no sheath. The sword looked dull on camera. It's almost like it was a big club more than a sword.

#20 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:44 AM

would that they took their design inspiration from the same sources howard did- history. hence the call for the bible. i posted some gorgeous swords in that thread.