Photo

Which Actor Best Portrayed Conan?

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Actor Best Portrayed Conan? (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Actor Do You Prefer As Conan?

1. Jason Momoa (84 votes [62.22%])

Percentage of vote: 62.22%

2. Arnold Schwarzenegger (28 votes [20.74%])

Percentage of vote: 20.74%

3. Neither (23 votes [17.04%])

Percentage of vote: 17.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

a little of topic but the black stranger is a great story!!!!

#222 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

The Black Stranger is a great story. One of the best. The Treasure of Tranicos, on the other hand, is an abomination. Hope that helps!
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#223 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

oh ya thats right there was 2 versions of that in print. i have not read the one the other author re hashed.
back on topic, after watching both conan the barbarian films this morning, ya i know got nothing better to do while healing ,lol, but there are things i liked about both but JM still comes far closer than arnie did, the one thing id change about the way JM portrayed conan , is that he was always "on" . i know conan is intense but he is not always not stop intense in the stories, he does have his "down" time, or thinking and reflecting on things in some stories.
the only one i can think were conan is non stop intense would be frost giants daughter, and it works well as it is a shorter story.

#224 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

The Black Stranger is a Howard story, while the Treasure of Tranicos is a DeCamp version, highly modified. Two different stories, really.

You must choose, wisely...

#225 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Oops! Took me so long to reply to this thread, my comment is late and out of sequence!

Stupid computer....

#226 TheDarkslayer

TheDarkslayer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

The Black Stranger is a Howard story, while the Treasure of Tranicos is a DeCamp version, highly modified. Two different stories, really.

You must choose, wisely...

I'll have to modify. I am talking about The Black Stranger. I have a copy for Wandering Star that is a reprint of what came right off of REH's type-writer. It's a great collectible. Re-reading it, letter page by letter page. I'll be finished this weekend, but there is very little that needed edited.
Craig Halloran
author of The Darkslayer

Check out my books and blog!

http://www.thedarkslayer.com

Favorite Conan Stories: The Black Stranger, Queen of the Black Coast ... (i'm going back and re-reading REH Conan) It's long over due.
Favorite Conan Artist: Ernie Chan

#227 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Arn

@ Amster, I would respectfully offer that IMHO on-screen charisma isn't subjective. That's why it's so special... It's very objective. A person can hate an actor (or their performance) but still feel that charisma. I don't like Robert Downey Jr., but does he have on-screen charisma? Yes. Dwayne Johnson... all charisma. John Wayne... limited as actor... amazing charisma! Many times that charisma can show even in a bad movie. IMO, CTB(2011) didn't have that.

Arnold is very charismatic, but that doesn't mean he was a good Conan. It's rather like saying that John Wayne's portrayal of Genghis Khan is superior to Asano Tadanbu's. It's a lazy argument, one that someone with absolutely no knowledge of the original Conan stories can get by with. The question is which actor best portrayed Conan. This isn't a beauty contest. Are any of you "Arnold has more charisma" guys able to indentify what characteristics define the charater that Howard created and explain how Arnold's performance captured those characteristics better than Momoa?

Not commenting on the Arnold thing, but I think Chingiz probably looked as much like John Wayne as he did Tadanbu. A tawny-haired over-six foot quasi-Turkic horseman is not the same thing as a modern Japanese dude. Asians are not interchangeable.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#228 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

Momoa in attutude and obvious lines taken from REH Conan stories was the better Conan,but they still could have done it better and been more accurate.

Refernces to Acheron ,Xaltotun , BUT NO FREAKING HEART OF AHRIMAN come on they where throwning refrences to Conan:Hour of the Dragon all over the fricking place without making a movie out of the novel,and then certian things so that people would not relaize they where pulling from HoD to make their movie.

Thats pertty much what TICKS ME OFF about this movie. If you are going to make refferences to a novel of REH"S keep all refernces accurate don't try to sno-job us Howard fans for the almight fricking DOLLAR! :angry:

Needless to say I staretd out when i viewed it liking it but when I saw how much of a twist up and a cluster $%^& they made of the refrences to HoD I staretd to hate the movie!

Edited by Konorg, 07 May 2012 - 02:06 AM.

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#229 BarbaricBludgeoning

BarbaricBludgeoning

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Arnold i don't care if i get flammed for this

#230 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Arnold i don't care if i get flammed for this

Could you elaborate on this, and why you think he did a better Conan than Momoa based on Howard's works?

Any ERB fans out there who wanna do the same question for Tarzan too since they have discussed the making of a new one?
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#231 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

Any ERB fans out there who wanna do the same question for Tarzan too since they have discussed the making of a new one?

I'm chime in once you start it up :)

#232 Ascalante

Ascalante

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Arnold's Conan was more of a real character. Arnold's Conan conveyed a relaxed confidence which I believe is truer to Howard's Conan.

When Arnold falls into the tomb of the Atlantean sword and slowly and effectively delivers the word "Crom" with awe and wonderment, it rings true to Conan's character. As a viewer you feel Conan's awe of mystery and magic.

When Conan explains his belief in Crom to Subotai, Arnold connects effectively and the viewer sees Conan as more than just a pissed off loner, but a character of strength and depth.

Arnold's laugh is hearty and truer to Conan's mirth.

This all conveys feeling and empathy to Conan's success. With Arnold's Conan you get a better portrayal of the complexity of Conan and actually care more about the character.

Mamoa's Conan was one-dimensional, stressed, uncharismatic, and lacking depth which is not the Conan I see in Howard's stories.

#233 TheDarkslayer

TheDarkslayer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

The Black Stranger is a great story. One of the best. The Treasure of Tranicos, on the other hand, is an abomination. Hope that helps!

Wow, I just finished it a couple of days ago. I can even begin to imagine how someone could have butchered the story. Nothing needed changed, other than the typo's Howard marked. Did the DeCamp version have Thoth-Amon as the Black Stranger?
Craig Halloran
author of The Darkslayer

Check out my books and blog!

http://www.thedarkslayer.com

Favorite Conan Stories: The Black Stranger, Queen of the Black Coast ... (i'm going back and re-reading REH Conan) It's long over due.
Favorite Conan Artist: Ernie Chan

#234 TheCimmerian

TheCimmerian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

I watched the newest Conan film in theaters shortly after reading a sizeable block of Howard's original Conan tales. Going in I was prepped to pick out the film's departures from the text, though I was expecting some of the typical turns and alterations one finds in an adaptation. I must say that I truly enjoyed it.

It's understandable that many people still have strong feelings for and ties to Arnold's Conan. I'll always base all of my opinions on adaptations from Howard on how I feel about the original Howard stories, though. I won't allow other folk's dedication to an older adaptation, which was arguably just as different from the classic material as the new film (if not more so), affect my opinion of a new one.

Here's my review written after seeing Momoa and Nispel's Conan in theaters:
http://random-verbos...-at-movies.html

Edited by TheCimmerian, 29 August 2012 - 04:46 PM.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Robert E. Howard

#235 StevenXVX

StevenXVX

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

Hey everyone! Im new to the forum and excited to learn more about this wonderful story and meet fans of Conan and Robert E. Howard! And look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions!

I agree with most of you who stated Momoa fits the description in classic tales such as The Phoenix on the Sword, and The Frost-Giants Daughter's...

Jason Momoa did a good job, especially using the head of the jailer to get in for the kill, classic Conan. And I loved the way they should young Conan! In the stories he was not your typical Cimmerian. By the way Ron Perlman...amazing.
I feel Arnold did great as Conan. He really was a deep-thinking warrior, and scenes of Arnold deep in thought really nailed it for me. Arnold's portral was more than just a
brutal barbarian.

Momoa was the best choice for the new Conan film among other actors today!

Edited by StevenXVX, 27 October 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#236 Guest_Mike Val_*

Guest_Mike Val_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

I like Momoa's smouldering pissed off quality that he had in game of thrones. Vey Conan-esque. I wish he had brough more of it to the film though. As for blue eyes, I can live without a 'text book' Conan if physique, demeanor and writing are all good.

#237 Andradir

Andradir

The Mad Batter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Neither Momoa nor Schwarzenegger.
IMHO the best Conan was Lucy Lawless as Xena, Warrior Princess. Seriously.

#238 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Neither Momoa nor Schwarzenegger.
IMHO the best Conan was Lucy Lawless as Xena, Warrior Princess. Seriously.

Yes I can see REH description, sleak and pantherish all over her, ready to pounce on me like coiled steel ready to attack. :)

Posted Image

Edited by Dave the Rage, 02 November 2012 - 10:39 PM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#239 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

I watched the newest Conan film in theaters shortly after reading a sizeable block of Howard's original Conan tales. Going in I was prepped to pick out the film's departures from the text, though I was expecting some of the typical turns and alterations one finds in an adaptation. I must say that I truly enjoyed it.

It's understandable that many people still have strong feelings for and ties to Arnold's Conan. I'll always base all of my opinions on adaptations from Howard on how I feel about the original Howard stories, though. I won't allow other folk's dedication to an older adaptation, which was arguably just as different from the classic material as the new film (if not more so), affect my opinion of a new one.

Here's my review written after seeing Momoa and Nispel's Conan in theaters:
http://random-verbos...-at-movies.html

Good honest read imo. Chears for sharing.

#240 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

The thout has crossed my mind and maybe it is a crazy thought...that in the new movie Jason Momoa could play the younger Conan.I think it really a waste to not have him return.He nailed Conan the image I see when I read the stories is closer to him than Arnold ever was.But could the two versions mesh in one movie to be believably the same character?Arnold and Jason as one Conan.

This movie is sure to be Arnolds last appearance as Conan and someone is going to havve tp step into the role.But then again Jason being in Arnolds last Conan film might ruin future films for him if he were ever to return to the role.I would definetley be down for seeing another Conan film starrinh Momoa...a good majority of fans agree he did a great job with the part.

Then again having both in the same movie would likey mean the movie fighting against itself,trying to be two things at once.Much like the 2011 movie tried to be new and different but yet was saddled by too many simularities with the 82 version neither being a true reboot or remake.If 2011 had tried to gp its own way more maybe it would have been a better movie...at least more accepted.I one to see more of the younger Conan before he becomes King.Arnold's TLOC might do great but I still wish we could see Jason complete his version....from beggining to King.