There is no overreacting here.
I'm not convinced everyone here fully has come to terms with just how catastrophic a failure "Conan the barbarian" (2011) was.
One cannot compare this to "Ghost Rider", or "Hulk", or "Terminator Salvation", or "Superman Returns" or any other movie that disappointed to some extent.
Conan's performance was a total and complete disaster, worse than any worst case scenario. Worse than "Green Lantern", (so far) worse than "Jonah Hex" , and worse than "Punisher: War Zone"; only without a branded corporation to pick up the pieces.
The well has been poisoned. They can not try to make another one right away. Hollywood won't blame Lerner and Drake, they'll blame Conan the brand.
Rufus, your ideas on how to do the sequel are all good and well, but there is no way Paradox will be able to get a sequel made. No one in Hollywood will touch Conan now. We are worse off now than we were before the movie entered production in the first place.
I think Pardaox needs to do as follows, in the order described, over the course of several years:
1. Strengthen the REH brand name
- More high quality REH comicbooks
- More Del Rey paperbacks
- High quality videogames based on other REH charathers
- Smart phone games from other REH charaters
2. Make non-Conan REH feature films
- Make them with smaller independent companies like Constantin, DNA and Davies
- Keep budgets low, finance through indian and german hedgefunds
- make sure US distribution is in place before cameras roll
- Keep "Age of Conan" alive, and make it ever better
- Finish "Red Nails", and make several other animated features adapting original stories
- Make an animated series geared towards 7-11 eleven years olds, inspired by Roy Thomas. Create a new generation of fans.
4. Bring it all together
In five to ten years, maybe even more, a new generation of REH and Conan fans may be awaiting a new movie. Then is the time to roll out.
Team up with a production company that makes quality movies, and keep the budget low. Make a Conan bible, and have the contract stipulate it cannot be breached. Momoa and everyone else associated with the 2011 misfire can not be brought back. Start over and get it right.
Edited by norse_sage, 25 August 2011 - 02:38 PM.