244 replies to this topic

#241 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

I concur with your sentiments about both films. I can get the kids to watch new one, but if I put old one in they go else where during it, or make silly comments about Arnold!! :) They are worlds apart, in technology, script and target audience I suppose too. I like both and think they have a place in Conan's median of film timeline, but I think JCM is way better than both!! Can we have a Disney Conan please Mr Alluminati of the order 33? ;P
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#242 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

Well, the movie's been out for more than half a year, and the Blu Ray for almost as long, and I've now seen it more times than I can even count. And you know what? I still like it. It's not a perfect film, but I can pop it in the Blu Ray player while downing a few beers and have a damn good time watching it. I feel genuinely sorry for the Conan fans who can't, or worse yet, those who own the DVD and just get angry every time they watch it. I feel like they're missing out on the party. As for the 82 film? I watched them back to back, Conan2011 first, and it felt like Arnold was moving in slow motion, which technically, he was.

I too, have watched this film several times. Full-on Blu-Ray, 1080p, on a 46" Bravia with the sound bar maxed... and it still rocks! I will admit that it is not a great movie, or even a terribly good one. But when I need a fix of blood gushing, bone crunching Barbarian rage, Conan 2011 is the drug of choice, bar none. The '82 version just doesn't do it for me in the same way.

#243 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

I have watched Conan 2011 countless times and enjoyed it every time..,I enjoyed the Blue Ray dvd even better than seeing it in the theater.I've said many times I prefer Jason's Conan over Arnold's any day.I still wish we could see what was cut from the movie.It sucks that we probably wont get a sequel or another Conan movie for some time.Momoa worked hard for this movie and I really feel he deserves a second shot at Conan.I'll continue to enjoy the dvd and keep hope alive that a director's cut or a second film could happen.

#244 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

I am fairly resigned to the fact that not everyone can enjoy this movie, and thats fine to each their own.But i do think it got pounded unfairly by critics and in a similar fashion that john carter is now.in fact i think its worse for john carter because john carter was made pg13 , purposely more accessible. These movies were not made to say hey lets all find reasons to hate me, alot of enthusiasm went into it , despite the execution.They are made to enjoy , not to pick at.I think society in general puts too much emphasis on our entertainment sometimes.I happen to enjoy it and I enjoy the old arnold movie as well not for the same reasons.
I look at the new conan as enjoying Howards for purely its adventurous pulp aspects,the speed and chaos of battle that seems to be more the emphasis there.Its colorful and a bitcomic bookish but fun ,simple pulp fun . It was not overblown pretentiousness, which is one of the things i dont like about pj's lotr. The schwarzenegger version seems to be more about whats beneath the surface of the stories and the themes , as well as its heavy handedness and slowness ( i think thats deliberate too in a way, emphasizing motion and power, the movies theme is the nature of power).And theres a a silliness to it too. I take any adaptation from a dead writers works or characters with a grain of salt from the start to begin with.It never meets the minds eye vision of what you think it should be and i 've made peace with that .

#245 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'll get the new Conan for $5 at the mom and pop bookstore. I already have Ahrnold as Conan in movie.

Edited by Richard, 14 March 2012 - 11:40 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)