What Character Deserves A Fanfic?

any thoughts

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

I would like to write some more Howard fanfiction but I am undecided about what character folks would
like to read about. I tend to shy away from Conan cause there is tons of pastiche already out there...I have certain characters I like but I want to write something people would read, help me out neighbors.

#2 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

There are tons of fantastic Hyborian Age characters who could have their own story. Obvious ones would be fellow adventurers with past adventures that were alluded to like Shevatas, Valeria, Belit, Taurus, Sakumbe, Prospero, Zaporavo, Zarono and Olgerd Vladislav. There are also globetrotting scholars like Astreas and Alcemides, angry young men eager to start revolutions like Athemides and Rinaldo, and sympathetic villains like Khemsa.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#3 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

I have created a character not unlike Eithriall the Gaul. I don't do other people's characters.
Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#4 Scott Oden

Scott Oden

Spokesman for Orcish Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

I'd vote Shevatas. Man, I'd love a crack at doing him for an official licensed book . . .

#5 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

I have created a character not unlike Eithriall the Gaul. I don't do other people's characters.

I like doing other people's characters, although I create my own too. I just don't like to see a great character die just because his creator is no longer among the living. I say keep them breathing and kicking *(&*(

#6 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

Cormac Fitzgeoffrey or Dark Agnes. Neither of which got enough of their story told by Bob.

#7 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:05 AM

weird you should mention those two caused Ive already written stories about both, maybe I will be lazy and just edit a bit and post one of those...?

#8 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:59 AM

I have a story outline for the "origin" of Solomon Kane (IMHO better than the film) but I never could work up the heart to sit down and write it word for word.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#9 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

I have a story outline for the "origin" of Solomon Kane (IMHO better than the film) but I never could work up the heart to sit down and write it word for word.

DOOO EEEET!!

I double dog dare you...

#10 Scott Oden

Scott Oden

Spokesman for Orcish Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

You know, it might be great if the Foundation can get permission to do an anthology of short stories featuring secondary REH characters; if they could get Del Rey interested, it might develop into a series to rival Thieves World or similar volumes.

#11 Skullface

Skullface

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

I have thought about doing some Breck story stuff....Such a fun guy.

#12 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well, I have come up with something finally...hopefully I will get it down soon and then share it would the cruel world

#13 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

DOOO EEEET!!

I double dog dare you...

Here's the outline; read it at
http://scrollsofiron...lomon Kane.html
It was my intention to depart from strict REH by conflating the hunt for le Loup with Wolfshead. But I had problems, and then I found out that the use of a crucifix was inconsistent with Puritan belief. And so the story languishes.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#14 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

write it up and post it here....sounds like a cool project

#15 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

I can't post any story here. All I can do is post links to my website. Which is where I would post the completed Solomon Kane story if I ever wrote it. But for now, the outline is all I have available.

Here's the outline; read it at
http://scrollsofiron...mon%20Kane.html

Edited by Ironhand, 10 December 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#16 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

Cormac Fitzgeoffrey or Dark Agnes. Neither of which got enough of their story told by Bob.

Well I posted a Fitzgeoffrey story but I don't think it went over very well....There has to be somebody besides good old Conan that folks would enjoy?

#17 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Black Vulmea just screams to have something done!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#18 Guest_boye_*

Guest_boye_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

I would like to write something but I can't decide between Conan, Solomon Kane, or a lesser known.  I'm leaning 

towards Kane.  Would anyone want to read that or something else?  I don't really want to write something that

no one cares about.

#19 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I would like to write something but I can't decide between Conan, Solomon Kane, or a lesser known.  I'm leaning 

towards Kane.  Would anyone want to read that or something else?  I don't really want to write something that

no one cares about.

Hi,
just write what interests you most: what you know best; what you would like to read.

I know Conan very well, so I wrote 2 or 3 short tales about him, and i had great fun writing Conan tales with a twist.

But if i write any more, they will be about my own created characters set in the world of conan. [ a womanising warrior [Corrag: i wrote 2 or 3 poems about him] , a busty sorceress [surprise! ] ]
Writing about your own characters [even if they are similar to some REH-characters] is much easier and most fun and gives you most creative freedom.
--
> Suggestion :
a character like Solomon Kane set in the world of conan: but not a religious fanatic, but is a tough relentless bounty hunter? [ and he could enjoy women? ]
or - he could be a fanatic against evil, working for the high priesthood of Mitra [ and he could even be a warrior-priest of Mitra? ]
have him working against Stygian Set cults, etc...?
King Conan could send him on a special mission?
--
I think that many Howard fans want to read about new characters having adventures in the wide world of conan.
-
I will try to read any tales you post. [ keep em short and action packed ]
Have fun. :)

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#20 Guest_boye_*

Guest_boye_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

no one cares about.

Hi,
just write what interests you most: what you know best; what you would like to read.

I know Conan very well, so I wrote 2 or 3 short tales about him, and i had great fun writing Conan tales with a twist.

But if i write any more, they will be about my own created characters set in the world of conan. [ a womanising warrior [Corrag: i wrote 2 or 3 poems about him] , a busty sorceress [surprise! ] ]
Writing about your own characters [even if they are similar to some REH-characters] is much easier and most fun and gives you most creative freedom.
--
> Suggestion :
a character like Solomon Kane set in the world of conan: but not a religious fanatic, but is a tough relentless bounty hunter? [ and he could enjoy women? ]
or - he could be a fanatic against evil, working for the high priesthood of Mitra [ and he could even be a warrior-priest of Mitra? ]
have him working against Stygian Set cults, etc...?
King Conan could send him on a special mission?
--
I think that many Howard fans want to read about new characters having adventures in the wide world of conan.
-
I will try to read any tales you post. [ keep em short and action packed ]
Have fun. :)

Hey thats good advice, maybe I will change my Solomon Kane idea into  a story with an original character.  I already did

one with Bloody Jack Nye but I wonder if people actually prefer new characters vs Howard's characters?