Photo

Conan By Brian Wood And Becky Cloonan *(JUST the Cloonan run)

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#541 warrior900

warrior900

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

I just relized WHY im so disappointed with the choice of cloonan . I cant speak for everyone but im sure that many of you have been waiting to see how dark horse approached such a classic R.E.H story as queen of the black coast when they started doing conan comics. I saw this as a chance to do something REALLY special. Maybe the story will save the visuals but it kind of makes me feel the same way that the newest conan movie did...they had a chance to make a great movie and they clearly dropped the ball.Maybe they should have brought back Cary Nord for this story, now THAT would have created some positive buzz. They should have let Cloonan draw one of those filler stories they do now and then, just sayin.
He stood like an image of the unconquerable primordial ? legs braced far apart, head thrust forward, one hand clutching the wall for support, the other gripping the ax on high, with the great corded muscles standing out in iron ridges, and his features frozen in a death snarl of fury ? his eyes blazing?? ? The Phoenix on the Sword, REH

#542 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

I just relized WHY im so disappointed with the choice of cloonan . I cant speak for everyone but im sure that many of you have been waiting to see how dark horse approached such a classic R.E.H story as queen of the black coast when they started doing conan comics. I saw this as a chance to do something REALLY special. Maybe the story will save the visuals but it kind of makes me feel the same way that the newest conan movie did...they had a chance to make a great movie and they clearly dropped the ball.Maybe they should have brought back Cary Nord for this story, now THAT would have created some positive buzz. They should have let Cloonan draw one of those filler stories they do now and then, just sayin.

You do know she is only doing to issue 3? Then a few other artist are coming in over the series, jharren is one. Check earlier posts for some of his pics.

Cary Nord does a unique Conan, but the painting style really brings it a live. Then again you cant beat the ink and brush :)

Posted Image

Mr Woods please give Dan Panos a shot too, he really has a retro feel to his inks. Becoming a fav of mine:

Posted Image

Edited by Dave the Rage, 09 March 2012 - 10:10 AM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#543 ollonois

ollonois

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Do you make the joke here? Or is everyone on this forum secretly a Navy SEAL? Her Conan seemed to do a pretty good job killing everyone around him. Somehow I suspect this is standard-issue internet bravado.

Personally, I couldn't win a fight with Cloonan's Tito, much less her Conan ...

I don't know, but Amsterdamaged is a very strong guy... :ph34r: ...

This Dan Panos (ian)? reminds Al Williamson, isn't it? and what about a parallel miniseries by Truman and Giorello (for example) adapting strictly the tale by Howard? at first I dind't like Gary Nord, very innovative after a time without reading Conan and being my favourite artists John Buscema and Alfredo Alcala amongst other classics, now I think he does a very well developed Conan but according to some people in the mail section of the comics he doesn't draw background details in cities, buildings...
For I am the Bringer of War
I am The Bearer Of The Black Sword
and my name will be known to all
Lord Elric of the Bright Empire of Melnibone
The Dragonlord

Domine-Dragonlord

#544 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

The sales numbers are starting to come out. I only saw the comparative chart, where sales of Batman are always 100 and everything is gauged off of that standard. Last month, Road of Kings was 8.22, this month Conan the Barbarian comes in at 16.01. The actual # isn't out yet, but considering last month that 8.22 translated into about 10,500, when the real numbers come out it should be around that 20,000 benchmark. Great numbers for the book.

#545 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Those are great numbers!

I just looked up the Diamond Top 100 list. No actual numbers, but Conan cracked the Top 100 and is #99 on the list.

http://www.diamondco...rticleID=119178

Not quite as good as Dark Horse's best-selling title, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" at #68, but it sitll cool to have a Conan book on the charts at all. It is one of only six non-DC/Marvel books in the Top 100. And I wonder if it could have placed higher. The issue is sold-out almost everwhere, which means retailers under-ordered.

But #1s always sell better. It will be interesting to see how many people stay on the series, especially with Becky Cloonan dropping out after issue #3. I know a few people who are only picking it up for Cloonan's art, and will probably drop the book if she isn't regular.

#546 ollonois

ollonois

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

interesting, I read comics by character or genre but not by writers or artists
The Dragonlord

Domine-Dragonlord

#547 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

I know plenty of people that follow creators from title to title or will pick up a book just because someone they like is doing it. I've done it more than a few times myself, though I mainly stick to titles. I've definitely stopped buying books because someone's left, Arvid Nelson's departure from Dejah Thoris being the most recent example.

#548 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

its no different that going to see a movie because of a particular actor or director. Do you only watch film or television of a certain genre?

Obviously, I like certain characters too, but I have seen several "bad" characters get completely turned arouhnd because some talented writer saw some potential in them. And I have seen even more "good" characters appear in un-readable garbage. Ultimately it is the talent behind the book that will make it good or bad, not the character.

#549 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

I know plenty of people that follow creators from title to title or will pick up a book just because someone they like is doing it. I've done it more than a few times myself, though I mainly stick to titles. I've definitely stopped buying books because someone's left, Arvid Nelson's departure from Dejah Thoris being the most recent example.

I only started buying Comics again because of Thomas coming back tbh, but now I'm back at again lol with Tarzan and Conan titles. Of course I buy the Novels released periodically but likeing the idea of filling one day a month in reading some adaptions of REH, who admittantly is the only books I buy also at the minute due to space issues. I can seriously say that I have all the Conan stuff I need from him, and some others, but the guys in Texas got me into his other characters and man I am loving El Borak....cant get enough of him so far. On one last note....REH cowboy yarns are fantastic to say the least. Everyone of them reads like a Clint Eastwood masterpiece!

Oh yeah, back to Cloonan and Woods. If them figures are true then I will eat my words as I said in the past her art was cartoony and did not suit the barb. Sometimes being old and grey (ish) is a get out for me, I blame it on the neurons. ;)
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#550 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

That's cool. I had dropped out of Conan for a long time too .. because they were so bad as to be unreadable during the 90s. But when I saw Kurt Busiek's name on Conan, I knew I had to try that. I love Busiek's "Astro City," and I knew he was a Howard fan.

#551 ollonois

ollonois

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

zackdavisson:

its no different that going to see a movie because of a particular actor or director. Do you only watch film or television of a certain genre?

mainly yes, horror and some historical films, being a fan of some actor or director could be a dangerous thing see the fans of Brad Pitt going to see The tree of life and escaping the theatre or sleeping in it... could be also a thing about money you can't bought all the comics by your favourite authors...

by the way what comics are you talking about? Dejah Thoris? she is in the John Carter saga isn't it? and Tarzan? by Dark horse?

an interesting thing in Spain is just opposite the Marvel titles are the best selling titles with DC comics doing not so well...
The Dragonlord

Domine-Dragonlord

#552 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

Brad Pitt is actually an actor that I follow. He almost always makes interesting films, and isn't afraid to take chances with his characters. He doesn't need to be "pretty."

I don't know "The Tree of Life" but, I think if people made it through "Seven Years in Tibet," "Babel," and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" they should be OK with it.

#553 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

There may be several factors involved in the numbers being so high... #1 issue, QotBC story / Conan-Belit regardless of who is doing it, and of course the writer/artist team. Let's see how well this sale is sustained for next few issues.

#554 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

There may be several factors involved in the numbers being so high... #1 issue, QotBC story / Conan-Belit regardless of who is doing it, and of course the writer/artist team.

I've noticed some things in the general press regarding the comic:

First, Wood/Cloonan. A great many news and forum posts are something to the tune of "normally I'd never pick up a Conan comic, but when it's written by Wood/drawn by Cloonan I'm suddenly very intrigued." Their existing fanbase is also pretty substantial (myself being a Wood fan, or at least a DMZ fan)

Secondly is the name relaunch factor. I think a significant part of this is the fact that the name Conan the Barbarian was chosen: an awful lot of sources seem to treat this as Conan's triumphant return to comics, as if they were completely unaware of Dark Horse's continuous run since 2004. Plenty even openly seem to imply that this is Conan's first time in comics since Marvel.

Thirdly, Belit is one of the most famous characters that appeared in the original Marvel run. The number of times I've seen Belit in a fur swimsuit and wielding a sword in fan art and commissioned pieces alike, plus the fact she has a cold-resin statue, show that Belit still has resonance to those who remember the epic 70-100.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#555 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

The Beat are estimating sales figures for Conan #1 of 20,081 , that's around double of the current titles.
Terry

Edited by terryallenuk, 10 March 2012 - 07:00 PM.

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#556 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

plus the fact she has a cold-resin statue, show that Belit still has resonance to those who remember the epic 70-100.

You mean #58 - #100 :)

#557 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

You do know she is only doing to issue 3? Then a few other artist are coming in over the series, jharren is one. Check earlier posts for some of his pics.

Cary Nord does a unique Conan, but the painting style really brings it a live. Then again you cant beat the ink and brush :)

Posted Image

Mr Woods please give Dan Panos a shot too, he really has a retro feel to his inks. Becoming a fav of mine:

Posted Image

that was some strong work in B&W from Dan Panosian...
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#558 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

plus the fact she has a cold-resin statue, show that Belit still has resonance to those who remember the epic 70-100.

You mean #58 - #100 :)

Derp! Well, there you go, it lasted even longer. Where did I get 70 from?

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#559 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

The Beat are estimating sales figures for Conan #1 of 20,081 , that's around double of the current titles.
Terry

that's kind of maddening then, to think he could have hewed much closer to the original stuff and nobody who didn't know the story would have been the wiser anyway...and still would have been successful. you would think DH would try their damnedest to keep a symbiotic relationship going between the stories and their stuff, just to self perpetuate.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#560 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Terry

that's kind of maddening then, to think he could have hewed much closer to the original stuff and nobody who didn't know the story would have been the wiser anyway...and still would have been successful. you would think DH would try their damnedest to keep a symbiotic relationship going between the stories and their stuff, just to self perpetuate.

yeah i feel that.

But another part of me looks forward to the arcs and twist of an already great story. You cant improve on greatness but can do it justice, as I think with Woods background that he will do. Hopefully.