Photo

Conan By Brian Wood And Becky Cloonan *(JUST the Cloonan run)

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#561 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

well I don't want to belabor the point, but I mean there is plenty of room there to do just that but stick to the key points so to speak, that way you satisfy cromrades AND newcomers alike...
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#562 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

This Dan Panos (ian)? reminds Al Williamson, isn't it? and what about a parallel miniseries by Truman and Giorello (for example) adapting strictly the tale by Howard? at first I dind't like Gary Nord, very innovative after a time without reading Conan and being my favourite artists John Buscema and Alfredo Alcala amongst other classics, now I think he does a very well developed Conan but according to some people in the mail section of the comics he doesn't draw background details in cities, buildings...

I would say he's channeling Walt Simonson more than Al Williamson, but regardless, I agree with Zack and wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at Queen.

You know I guess I have mixed feelings about the new feel and look Wood and Cloonan are bringing to the series, but I'm willing to be very forgiving when a title that was flirting with cancellation has doubled it's circulation. I'll just bite my purist tongue and enjoy the things about this series that I do like---and there are things I like.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#563 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

FYI, there's supposed to be a preview of CTB #3 (I thought this was to be Harren's 1st issue, but the credits on DH's site list it as Cloonan) at:
http://www.darkhorse...s/21-275?page=1

Can anyone see this? I'm just getting little red "x"s for all the interior pages on this, as well as most of the other new previews Dark Horse has just put up on their site.
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#564 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

I can see them. It looks pretty good. We get our first look at N'Yaga, which is neat: not my N'Yaga, but I knew it was him all the same. It looks like the theory of the corsairs only appearing demonic and being slowly humanized is panning out, since they look a lot more like human beings now.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#565 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

FYI, there's supposed to be a preview of CTB #3 (I thought this was to be Harren's 1st issue, but the credits on DH's site list it as Cloonan) at:

Can anyone see this? I'm just getting little red "x"s for all the interior pages on this, as well as most of the other new previews Dark Horse has just put up on their site.

I'm getting the same x's, I have the problem on my work computer sometimes. Harren's doing #4-6

#566 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Is there another link? Same here, x`s in all pages.
Dark Horse, fix it!!!! :angry:
This # 3 Carnevale cover is the most beautiful of them all up to this point. I like the colors and the fish all around, as if both Conan and Belit were under the sea... It is very romantic, in a good way.

Edited by Aquilonia, 27 March 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#567 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

The link is working fine for me. I even disabled Javascript in case it was a Java problem, but made no difference.

Pages are so-so. I like the composition, though I'm still not a fan of the art itself. However, I'm coming around to the writing. And what's with Conan's overbite?

#568 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Looks good so far, but...no mating dance?! Or is it too soon?
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#569 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Conan the Rebel by Poul Anderson was a good read when I was 16 or older, I wonder what it would be like to read it again?

I found it pretty annoying and not particularly Howardian.

At the time I was reading anything Hyborian and playing the RPG too. None better than the orig for sure, though there was worse than Anderson like the Jordan books where not that hot either.

I can see it, and man them Cimmerian hills are superb, one thing she does bloody well at, actually makes me think of Nord's painted hills. Conan still has the mad (over bite) grin though lol, but liking the blue eyes.

Edited by Dave the Rage, 27 March 2012 - 10:56 PM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#570 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

The images are blocked by my system at work. It looks to be that comic book locator widget they have installed.

#571 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

It's still a little early, but it'll happen in this issue. Did anyone else see a very sly tribute to BWS's Cimmeria in those first three pages?

#572 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

I like the cimmerian hills too. What a surprise to see them right in the first pages. I would never expect those hills in the beginning of issue 3. They are cool, he, he.
Wood has been surprising me since # 1. He seems to have a lot of tricks and is willing to show them issue after issue.

#573 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

It's still a little early, but it'll happen in this issue. Did anyone else see a very sly tribute to BWS's Cimmeria in those first three pages?

I thought the dance began at the end of the 2nd book, and Cloonan may not have nailed Conan, but her Belit is dangerous and mesmerising indeed. Some heavy lip action in that drawing, draws you in indeed!

I cant see the BWS tribute tbh, I can only surmise that it is the brown fur skin the barb wears? If not is it in the text or the art?
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#574 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

I like the cimmerian hills too. What a surprise to see them right in the first pages. I would never expect those hills in the beginning of issue 3. They are cool, he, he.
Wood has been surprising me since # 1. He seems to have a lot of tricks and is willing to show them issue after issue.

I like that too, the way Woods is bringing us back and reminding the readers of the hardship of Conan's life (new ones on board) and why he is the wolf; he kills the Alpha wolf and shows the hunter that he is not the FOOD! :)

Edited by Dave the Rage, 28 March 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#575 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

I cant see the BWS tribute tbh, I can only surmise that it is the brown fur skin the barb wears? If not is it in the text or the art?

Conan battles a wolf in Cimmeria, much like the adaptation of the poem in Savage Tales #2. It's almost like their own distaff version of it, at least to me anyway.

#576 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

I'm digging these pages, but wondering if/when Bêlit is going to show her strength. Aside from Tito's tales and Conan's dream sequences, she hasn't yet shown herself to be as fierce as Conan, and I suspect some will be really annoyed at her "...will you take me?" since it comes off very one sided, as if she's just a hopeless schoolgirl crushing on a rockstar.

Edited by KG Thunder, 28 March 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#577 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

I suspect some will be really annoyed ...

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me?

#578 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:29 AM

I suspect some will be really annoyed ...

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me?

You and me both!

#579 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,799 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

I see all 6 pages just fine. It's definitely Cloonan's art. But I don't like Wood's "Will you take me?" Belit should DEMAND that Conan take her. No possibility he will turn her down.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#580 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

Another thing about Cloonan's art that I'm really liking is how much emphasis there is on Conan's blue eyes. They seem to be a striking feature here more than in most other Conan comics, especially in the preview pages from Issue #3. I dig it.