Photo

Howard-esque Weird Western Horror Film

pigeons from hell horror from mound valley of the lost short horror shotgun termite monster

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WeirdWestern

WeirdWestern

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:39 AM

I realize that some may frown upon this. It may be in poor taste. This is my first post. I am a spank'n new forum user from South Carolina here to promote myself, and my work. I recently completed a low budget, 4 minute short film that may be of some interest to fans of Mr. Howard and his weird western tales.

I have been a Lovecraft fanatic for 20 odd years now and discovered Robert E. Howard through his contributions to the "mythos." I was especially drawn to his fantastic western tales where hard knuckled cowboys faced off against menacing forces or creatures. My short film "T is for Termite" is about such a character, a crust punk exterminator who goes into abandoned houses to clear them of unspeakable termite monstrosities.

I made the film for an on-line short film contest Alamo Drafthouse films "ABC's of Death." I won't deny that the more exposure and votes I receive for the film, the better my chances at getting my amateur work in front of influential professionals. Regardless of the contest, I wanted to share the film with those Howard fans who would understand my main character archetype.

If you have 4 minutes to spare, please check out my short. I appreciate your time and consideration.
http://26th.theabcso...is-for-termite/

Thanks Steve Daniels

Edited by WeirdWestern, 06 October 2011 - 02:47 AM.

#2 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

I'm most intrigued: I can't watch the film right now due to my computer's setup, but I'll tell you what I think once I have seen it.

Welcome to the forums!

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#3 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

Watched it. Voted for it.

Good luck, Bro!

Tex
(who'd love to read a novelization of it)

#4 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

Good film. I'd tell you to send your resume to Paradox, but they'd probably lose it.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#5 WeirdWestern

WeirdWestern

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

I'm most intrigued: I can't watch the film right now due to my computer's setup, but I'll tell you what I think once I have seen it.

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for welcoming me to the forums. If you have issues viewing on Vimeo, the film is posted on youtube as well.

Watched it. Voted for it.

Good luck, Bro!

Tex
(who'd love to read a novelization of it)

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to watch and vote. Thank you.

Good film. I'd tell you to send your resume to Paradox, but they'd probably lose it.

Thanks. As long as Paradox doesn't come after claiming rights. Ha.

#6 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

Excellent. Love the camera work. You have my vote, and good luck.

#7 WeirdWestern

WeirdWestern

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

Excellent. Love the camera work. You have my vote, and good luck.

I appreciate the kind words and the vote.
Steve

#8 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

:) Good job! And welcome to the REH Forum. Don't forget to update your profile and add a picture. Just click the Help at the bottom of the screen.
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#9 WeirdWestern

WeirdWestern

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

:) Good job! And welcome to the REH Forum. Don't forget to update your profile and add a picture. Just click the Help at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks Richard. I'm really digg'n your profile pic.

#10 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

Nifty avatar!
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pigeons from hell, horror from mound, valley of the lost, short, horror, shotgun, termite, monster