77 replies to this topic

#61 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

But... isn't Ianthe a LSDC/LC's creation in the pastiche Star of Khorala?

Yes, you're right! Go ahead and pronounce that any way you care to! :D

Thanks, Kortoso! :) In Brazilian Portuguese, the pronounce is "Ee-un-tee". ;)

#62 Malak

Malak

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

I just read that REH pronounced the 'w' in 'sword', and said the word 'wound' to rhyme with 'sound'. From this point on I am sure I will pronounce these words as REH did when reading his yarns.

As a kid, when I started to learn English (basically by playing computer games), I pronounced both words the way REH did... until some English teacher corrected my intuitive Howardian pronunciation ;)

I've got another one for you that's been on my mind for a while:

Do you rhyme "Kull" with "full" or "hull"?
I guess most people prefer the "u" as in "hull", but for some reason I've always pronounced it the other way... maybe because it sounds more archaic or because it also rhymes with "bull".

#63 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

I just read that REH pronounced the 'w' in 'sword', and said the word 'wound' to rhyme with 'sound'. From this point on I am sure I will pronounce these words as REH did when reading his yarns.

As a kid, when I started to learn English (basically by playing computer games), I pronounced both words the way REH did... until some English teacher corrected my intuitive Howardian pronunciation ;)

I've got another one for you that's been on my mind for a while:

I guess most people prefer the "u" as in "hull", but for some reason I've always pronounced it the other way... maybe because it sounds more archaic or because it also rhymes with "bull".

Because it rhymes with "cool"?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#64 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

I never thought of going any other way but with the "hull" sound. I know what you mean about pronouncing the names differently, though. I do that too. It brings "something" to the story.

#65 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

Finishing up my first read of People of the Black Circle, and it's rapidly turning into one of my favorite Conan tales.

I was having trouble with the word "Irakzai" until I realized that Howard was represented the proto-Iraqis.

Either "Eee-rack-zye" or "Eee-rack-zay-ee".

#66 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

ee-ROCK-zye

Edited by Ironhand, 24 March 2012 - 06:13 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#67 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

I would think it's ee-rak-ZAH-ee. Like the name of the Afghan premier or president, Karzai.

#68 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

I would think it's ee-rak-ZAH-ee. Like the name of the Afghan premier or president, Karzai.

That's what Eye said.

Edited by Ironhand, 26 March 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#69 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Who is Eye?

#70 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Ewe are. ;)

#71 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

Eye am Who Eye am.

#72 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:23 AM

Then, I yam what I yam.

--Popeye 1980

#73 steelcaress

steelcaress

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

I realize I'm a serious latecomer, but I wanted to point out that Cimmeria is most likely a hard C, like in cat, not as in cinnamon. The reason why is this article: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Cimmerians

Very clearly, at the top of the article, the pronunciation in Greek would be Kimmerioi. Since there's no soft K, the conclusion one would come to is that the correct pronunciation would be Kimmerian. I can only assume that Herodotus was where Howard cribbed the name from.

Funny, the only reason I came here was to find out how to pronounce Khawarizm.

#74 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

I realize I'm a serious latecomer, but I wanted to point out that Cimmeria is most likely a hard C, like in cat, not as in cinnamon. The reason why is this article: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Cimmerians

Very clearly, at the top of the article, the pronunciation in Greek would be Kimmerioi. Since there's no soft K, the conclusion one would come to is that the correct pronunciation would be Kimmerian. I can only assume that Herodotus was where Howard cribbed the name from.

Funny, the only reason I came here was to find out how to pronounce Khawarizm.

I agree. This seems to me the proper way to pronounce Conan's nationality. Incidentally, there is a village in Western Thrace (northwest Greece) called Kimmeria. I don't have a clue, however, about the name's origins.

Khawarizm, I believe, has been mentioned in an earlier post.

One more locality with a curious sounding is Poitain, which should be properly pronounced as poo-a-TEN.

BTW, welcome to the forum Steelcaress.

#75 Pictish Scout

Pictish Scout

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

I never made my mind how to pronounce "Poitain". Maybe REH he Howard thought of a more french pronunciation like "poo-a-tun/tan".

For Cimmeria I think it is more correct to pronounce as Kimmeria. Before Cimmeria there was Commoria (I wonder if there's a relation). After Cimmeria REH mentioned "Cymric tribes", "Cimbri", "Gimmerai", "Gomer" and "Crimeia". All these names are related to Cimmerians and they are pronounced with hard C or G. That's why Kimmeria seems more correct to me.

I always pronounce Kull like "Cool"... but I admit it might be the wrong pronunciation.

Bêlit I pronounce bell-it.

I started to read Conan marvel comics (from Brazil) before I knew any English. So I learned to pronounce the names in a "Latin" fashion and not in an "Anglo-saxonic" way. So to me Numedides is more like Noo-Meh-Dee-Dess and never Noo-Meed-Eye-Dees, Valerius is Val-air-ee-oos and never Val-air-ee-us, etc. :P

Edited by Pictish Scout, 27 July 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#76 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

I never made my mind how to pronounce "Poitain". Maybe REH he Howard thought of a more french pronunciation like "poo-a-tun/tan".

For Cimmeria I think it is more correct to pronounce as Kimmeria. Before Cimmeria there was Commoria (I wonder if there's a relation). After Cimmeria REH mentioned "Cymric tribes", "Cimbri", "Gimmerai", "Gomer" and "Crimeia". All these names are related to Cimmerians and they are pronounced with hard C or G. That's why Kimmeria seems more correct to me.

I always pronounce Kull like "Cool"... but I admit it might be the wrong pronunciation.

Bêlit I pronounce bell-it.

I started to read Conan marvel comics (from Brazil) before I knew any English. So I learned to pronounce the names in a "Latin" fashion and not in an "Anglo-saxonic" way. So to me Numedides is more like Noo-Meh-Dee-Dess and never Noo-Meed-Eye-Dees, Valerius is Val-air-ee-oos and never Val-air-ee-us, etc. :P

I agree with most of these, PS. I had the french pronunciation in mind about Poitain. As for the Hyborian names I prefer the Latin manner as well (I did put some examples in an earlier post).

In the case of Belit, I prefer it as bel-IT, based on the pronunciation of other semitic names. 

#77 Pictish Scout

Pictish Scout

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

How do you read the "Ê" in Bêlit? How is it in English or Greek?

For the words starting with X, like Xuthal or Xaltotun I pronounce Shoo-THAL and Shall-Tot-oon although I know that in English X sometimes is more like a Z. In Portuguese is like a "Sh". The persian "Shah" is written "Xá" in pt.

When I first heard English speaking people reading "Xuthal" or "Xaltotun" I had no idea what they were talking about...

#78 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Is there no thread that discusses pronounciation?

If not, I'll start one. If I missed it, then just move this thread to that one.

There's THIS one, but it's pretty specific:

http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=2381

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.