77 replies to this topic

#1 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

Is there no thread that discusses pronounciation?

If not, I'll start one. If I missed it, then just move this thread to that one.

To start things off, how do you pronounce Khawarizm?

Kah-wary-zim? (Kha as in "Khan. War-ee. Zim)

#2 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:16 AM

BRILLIANT idea, Boot!

I've seen pronunciations in various replies scattered throughout the forum, but never a centralized topic.

Deuce, Al, etc, yer on.

Tex
(linguists to the front lines, please)

#3 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

This one in particular you will never get any agreement on, unless we all hold a vote. The problem is it is based on an actual historical country, whose name then found its way into mythology before REH ever got ahold of it. I have seen it spelled Quarezm, Khorassan, etc. Historically, it was next door to Persia, and was conquered by Ghengis Khan. How is it pronounced? Your guess is exactly as good as mine. We don't know how it was spelled in Arabic, or Farsi, and the English transliteration is pure guesswork.

But that's actually an interesting question.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#4 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

Free Companion Mercenary Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

Is there no thread that discusses pronounciation?

If not, I'll start one. If I missed it, then just move this thread to that one.

Kah-wary-zim? (Kha as in "Khan. War-ee. Zim)

I'm no linguist but my guess would be Ka-war-is-m

If life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. Queen of the Black Coast 1934 Robert E. Howard

Amra's The Chronicles of Conan The Cimmerian: Determining the chronological order of Howard's Conan Tales

#5 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

There's an interesting article in Wikipedia, but they don't offer any clues to pronunciation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khwarezm

In Avestan the name is Xvairizem, in Old Persian Huwarazmish, in Persian خوارزم Khvārazm, in Arabic خوارزم Khwārizm, in Chinese 花剌子模 Huālázǐmó, in Uzbek Xorazm.

#6 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

Like many nations of the Hyborian Age, named after a country/region rich in history and mythology.

Note that the earliest inhabitants were the Keltiminar culture, circa 6000 BC.

The Keltiminar people practised a mobile hunting, gathering and fishing subsistence system.

Early Celtic barbarians? Who later became effete civilized pencil-neckers?

Edited by Ironhand, 08 October 2011 - 12:34 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#7 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:20 AM

Well, Indo-Europeans, of which the Celts were a branch, at the very least.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#8 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

I'm reading Hour of the Dragon. Here's a couple, and how I'm pronouncing them in my head.

Pallantides = Pal-an-TIE-deez

Poitain = Poy - TANE

Amalric = Ah-MALL-rick

Zelata = ZELL-ah-ta (Every time I see her name, it reminds me of Salad on an Italian restaurant menu.)

Xaltotun - ZALL-toe-tun

Any disagreements?

EDIT: How about Conan?

Coe-NAN

COE-nun

Which one do you use?

Edited by Boot, 25 December 2011 - 11:53 PM.

#9 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

Pallantides = Pal-an-tih-deez

Poitain = Pwa - tane (the "oi" suggests a pronunciation like in "noir")

The rest match up with mine.

And I always pronounced the big guy's name Co-nun, like Sir Arthur's middle name.

Tex
(waiting for the linguists/scholars to weight in)

#10 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:34 AM

pa-LAN-ti-deez
PWA-tain
za-LA-ta
KO-nun
bay-LEET
VAN-nur
AK-ur-on

One that gives me trouble is Tascela: is it TAS-ske-la, tas-KAY-la?

Edited by Ironhand, 27 December 2011 - 02:29 AM.

#11 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Lady Albiona = AL-bee-on-ah

Mitra = MY-tra (although some will probably say MEE-tra).

Valerius = VAH-lare-ee-us

Nemedian = NEE-me-de-an

Tarantia = Tah-RAN-tee-ah

Tarascus = Tah-RAS-cus

Orastes = OR-ass-teez

Ahriman = AIR-ee-man

#12 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

al-bi-OH-na
va-LAI-ri-us
ne-MEE-di-an
o-RA-stez
AH-ri-man (the H may be slightly aspirated, as ACH-ri-man)(Just a slight hiss, not a big sloppy gutteral)

Edited by Ironhand, 29 December 2011 - 05:11 AM.

#13 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

pa-LAN-ti-deez
PWA-tain
za-LA-ta
KO-nun
bay-LEET
VAN-nur
AK-ur-on
al-bi-OH-na
va-LAI-ri-us
ne-MEE-di-an
o-RA-stez
AH-ri-man (the H may be slightly aspirated, as ACH-ri-man)

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ironhand on all of this. I would probably go with tas-KAY-la. Also, MEE-tra

I don't think anyone has mentioned Akivasha - Ah-kee-VAH-sha
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#14 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ironhand on all of this. I would probably go with tas-KAY-la. Also, MEE-tra

One of my favorite scenes is in Red Nails where she says "I am not of royal blood. I am greater than a princess. I am Tascela..." A real Tascela moment.

Obviously, when filming this, they would have to have the pronunciation down solid.

Edited by Ironhand, 29 December 2011 - 05:46 AM.

#15 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

One of my favorite scenes is in Red Nails where she says "I am not of royal blood. I am greater than a princess. I am Tascela..." A real Tascela moment.

Obviously, when filming this, they would have to have the pronunciation down solid.

You mean like the recent film had the pronunciation of "ASH-u-ron" and "HIGH-er-kania" down? :angry:
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#16 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:19 AM

I'm probably way out in left field on this from most, but I've always heard Belit in my head as BAY-lay, not BAY-leet.

#17 doomflower

doomflower

Unconventional Conventionist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

I just read that REH pronounced the 'w' in 'sword', and said the word 'wound' to rhyme with 'sound'. From this point on I am sure I will pronounce these words as REH did when reading his yarns.

Edited by doomflower, 01 January 2012 - 07:23 AM.

Fan my Facebook page, sweeties!~ Synthetic Soul

#18 duaneshadow

duaneshadow

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

sorry lads, but I feel obliged to say 'cunninglinguists'.
sorry. :D
'why does he have to be a misfit? Why can't he be handsome and kind?'

'You're still a dreamer girl'.

#19 Zula

Zula

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

I've never in my long legged life said the big guy's name as Coe-nun. Coe-NAN, dammity damn it! My-tra, due to normal linguisitcs, not mee-tra. Simmeria.
If Woody had gone straight to the Snowhawk Clan, this would never have happened.

#20 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

you say to-may -to I say to -mah -toe...lol, I think this actually adds a layer of realism, the different ways one can find to pronounce some of these names. base it on regional accents and such. I used to think it mattered how one pronounced conan and such . Then I realized how many different ways i've heard my own name pronounced, often because of differering accents ( italian , new york , rural) I've heard maa- rio, mah dio, mor eo..and it goes on....whose to say those in the eastern part of the hyborian age countries didnt pronounce conans name as Ko- Naan or northeners co nuhn?
Read it and pronounce it the way you will in your head, as long as you enjoy it! :D