#41 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

RE: the covers...

Exactly what would be wrong with a painting of Conan fighting his assassins? You could always have the Conan/demon fight for #2.

What artist is going to tackle that demon? What artist would have the guts?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#42 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

More preview pages are now available at
http://www.comicbook...review&id=11046

Giorello's art is stunning! And Villarrubia's coloring is a match:
Posted Image
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#43 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

those are some great art there, far better than what I'm seeing with queen of the black coast.

#44 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

This is how it's supposed to be done. Thank Crom we have Tim, Tomas and Jose to continue carrying the banner. This team literally improves with each output. Their finest work is always their latest, I don't see how this will be any different.

#45 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

Posted Image

The coloring really does enhance this and it was terrific in B & W. Just from the preview pages, you have a sense of how Tim has rearranged some parts of the story, but it works. We still have to wait a whole month?

#46 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

It seems the colors in these pages are noticeably darker than Jose's previous stuff. Cool with me!

#47 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Must...have this...NOW.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#48 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

The team still seems to be improving, awesome! Giorello`s art looks a little bit more detailed, if that is possible, (is it me?) and the colors of Vilarrubia are lighter than the previous adaptations, which is also a positive. As for Truman, he has always provided very good stories, but up to this point I can`t tell anything because Phoenix is yet to begin.
Keep up the work, team, hopefully this one will surpass all the others, why not?

#49 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

Posted Image

Simply AWESOME... Can't wait

#50 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

I love it, but how old is Conan supposed to be at this point? He looks like he's in his mid 60s or something.

Edited by KG Thunder, 06 January 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#51 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

I love it, but how old is Conan supposed to be at this point? He looks like he's in his mid 60s or something.

I think that's about right, at least that's what I thought he was in the SC framing sequence. He's definitely looking back after a number of years, so grey hair and beard is a quick way to show that.

#52 mikoza

mikoza

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

The killing trio rides again B) ! Fantastic art!...and I love how Mr. Truman always gives the script his personal stamp, and yet manages to stay true to REH!

Bravo, and keep up the good work! I wish they keep working on the Conan comic forever (or, at least, until all REH stories are adapted)!

P.S. Hope we will see the "Hour of the Dragon" adaptation from the same team ;) !

#53 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

P.S. Hope we will see the "Hour of the Dragon" adaptation from the same team ;) !

It would be nice to see a Xaltotun that doesn't look like an Egyptian Mummy or Vincent, a Zelata that doesn't look like a 50's pin-up goth, and a Tarascus that doesn't have a topknot. And maybe have Conan not hog all the villain deaths.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#54 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

I think the showdown between "Phoenix On The Sword" and "Queen of the Black Coast" will be interesting to watch.

It seems like one is written with primarily with Howard in mind, and does its best to stay true, while the other (as far as I can tell so far) plays more loosly and tries to create an entertaining comic book rather than an adaptation.

Whichever one wins in sales will probably go far in determining Dark Horse's approach to Conan and the Howard properties.

#55 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

:) Thank you for sharing this. I just called my comic book shop and added this to my pull. It's a guess but maybe King Conan's hair is a little gray because of his age. I'm not sure how old King Conan is? Maybe in his late forties or fifties? I'm not sure how the picts should look but have read it before but forgot. Short, stubby, hairy, ape like, ?? The picts teeth look pretty realistically crooked. Maybe a little more yellow here. :rolleyes:

I've got to give kudos to this team. I hope the one that REH in mind wins in sales. A terrific writer, superb artist, and award winning colorist! I didn't mean to leave out the letterer who's doing an outstanding job, too! Good size fonts and easy to read. I hope this team stays for the long haul. It's nice to know that the cover artist and the interior artist are the same or of equal quality. There's nothing worse than getting a comic for the beautiful cover and the interior art isn't as good. Can't judge a book by it's cover.

Did anyone notice the different looking captions? Not the standard boxes or circles. Pretty innovative and in just the right spots not to take away from the art. This makes it easy to read and follow the flow of the story. In some comics I'm not sure which circle or square to read next. In some of the older comics there's an arrow to help the reader know what to read next. Great job!

I'm with you Almuric as this reminds me of the glory days of SSOC too, but better!

I'm getting two number ones - regular version and variant. I did the same with Superman #75 Death of black cover.

I wonder if there will be any hidden and very small messages or images? Todd McFarland does this. B)

Edited by Richard, 07 January 2012 - 12:43 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#56 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

Richard, did you pick up "King Conan: The Scarlet Citadel?" Same creative team. Equally brilliant.

#57 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

Richard, did you pick up "King Conan: The Scarlet Citadel?" Same creative team. Equally brilliant.

Zack - no - but will now. I just called my comic book store and ordered the trade paperback. Thanks for letting me know. v/r Richard

Edited by Richard, 07 January 2012 - 12:47 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#58 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

Zack - no - but will now. I just called my comic book store and ordered the trade paperback. Thanks for letting me know. v/r Richard

I think the trade is out next month. It's simply one of the best adaptations DH has done, some may argue "the" best.

I wondered why they decided to do SC before Phoenix but it looks like they did have something in mind by going backwards, as it were. The interesting thing is it looks like Tim has created his own version of the prince & wazir framing narrative that keeps Conan involved. It's the perfect excuse to have Tim & Tomas go do any story they want.

#59 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

Everytime I see an old Conan without Zenobia's presence, I turn afraid of Timothy Truman had "killed" her, as LSDC/LC done with the Nemedian Queen of Aquilonia in "Conan of the Isles"... <_<

#60 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

Damn, this was fantastic. I really, really loved it!

http://www.comicsbul...oenix-sword-1-4