sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

Click over to
http://www.newsarama...ive-111007.html
to read the small article and see a couple covers, as well as the art below.
Posted Image
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#2 UrbanBarbarian

UrbanBarbarian

The Blacksmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Looks pretty amazing!

#3 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Seeing that makes it clear to me how much I've really missed Tomas Giorello's art on CONAN!
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#4 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Terrific art. Get it done, Giorello!

#5 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

Yes ! :D

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#6 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

That is a STUNNING piece of work! Cannot wait for this.

#7 DutchHowardFan

DutchHowardFan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands - Near the misty marshes of Kinderdyk

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

This is the way I like Conan stories being drawn. Cann't other artist at least try to bring a lot more detail in their art, like Tomas does.............

#8 miketerminus

miketerminus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

I can't wait for this! This is the Conan book I wanna read!
Blood and Roses.

#9 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

Giorello's back! I'm really looking forward to this. B)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#10 icarus

icarus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

That is a stunning picture. Very impressive work. Overall though I've been a little dissappointed in Giorello's work. It has progressively improved, but it seems most of his drawings of characters are either from the front or the profile, and they look a little stiff. I still buy the Dark Horse books though and I'm definitely looking forward to reading Scarlet Citadel and Phoenix on the Sword.

#11 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:45 AM

Wow, that page looks like it could have come right out of the glory days of Savage Sword.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#12 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:42 AM

Great to see Truman and Giorello teaming again! At the same time this probably will mean they will not be on QotBC :(

#13 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:43 AM

Very nice detailed art by Giorello!!

The 2nd cover also pretty stunning... the first one is meh...

Edited by Slashing Sword, 08 October 2011 - 05:43 AM.

#14 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,971 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

Is that Conan with the white hair and the broken arm?

King Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword will be written by Tim Truman and drawn by Tomás Giorello, who previously teamed on Conan the Cimmerian. The story was one of Robert E. Howard's original Conan short stories, dating back to 1932. The story centers on the King's charges trying to take the throne from him and return it to a true Aquilonian, while Thoth-Amon simultaneously tries to take the monarchy for himself.

What is this? It sounds worse than anything that LS deCamp did.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#15 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

The story centers on the King's charges trying to take the throne from him and return it to a true Aquilonian, while Thoth-Amon simultaneously tries to take the monarchy for himself.

Mitra, I hope that's just a bad summary. Thoth-Amon is completely uninterested in the crown of Aquilonia, or even any kingdom: what interest could such paltry goals as a kingdom of men hold for a wizard of the Black Ring?

“There was a time,” he said with unconcealed bitterness, “when I, too, had my ambitions, beside which yours seem tawdry and childish. To what a state I have fallen! My old-time peers and rivals would stare indeed could they see Thoth-amon of the Ring serving as the slave of an outlander, and an outlaw at that; and aiding in the petty ambitions of barons and kings!”

Thoth-Amon wasn't a villain in any of the Conan stories, he was far more interesting: he was a wild card, who might aid or hinder Conan entirely by proxy. Make up your own story where Thoth-Amon is the villain: don't shoehorn it into the Howard tales. Is it so wrong to have Thoth-Amon as a peripheral, mysterious menace in three stories, before his relations with Conan spill over into open conflict? I think it's much more enthralling that way. Making Thoth-Amon an outright villain gunning for Conan means that every time he fails to kill Conan, he looks more and more ineffectual, and Conan looks weaker in his inability to conquer this wizard. Far better to make him an unpredictable figure of dread, knowing that when the time comes that he eventually crosses paths with Conan, it's a big deal.

Dark Horse, don't turn Thoth-Amon into Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, or worse, Wrath-Amon.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#16 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Far better to make him an unpredictable figure of dread, knowing that when the time comes that he eventually crosses paths with Conan, it's a big deal.

Dark Horse, don't turn Thoth-Amon into Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, or worse, Wrath-Amon.

I hope it's just a poorly worded write-up as well. However, I think we can get an idea of how DH & Tim view T-A from both Conan #40 and the little insertion of him at the end of the Black Colossus arc. It did seem they were trying to turn him into an over-arching villain. The question is how assertive is he in his attempt to control the sorcerers of the Hyborian Age. It'd be better to just tell the story as it is and possibly throw in a line here and there rather than change his overall motivation. He wants his ring and when he gets it, he wants to get back at the guy who messed with him, period. Conan just happens to be there when the monster shows up. My instinct is it'll be like SC, sticking very close to the original story, but if Tim wants to expand on anything (like the Rinaldo material), he's got old King Conan as a vehicle for it.

Edited by johnnypt, 08 October 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#17 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

Is that Conan with the white hair and the broken arm?

King Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword will be written by Tim Truman and drawn by Tomás Giorello, who previously teamed on Conan the Cimmerian. The story was one of Robert E. Howard's original Conan short stories, dating back to 1932. The story centers on the King's charges trying to take the throne from him and return it to a true Aquilonian, while Thoth-Amon simultaneously tries to take the monarchy for himself.

What is this? It sounds worse than anything that LS deCamp did.

Missed that detail in the summary... that doesn't sound like Truman who has usually done a good job so far on Howard pieces.

#18 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

Cannot wait to read this...looks powerful!

#19 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:41 AM

King Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword #1 (Gerald Parel variant cover)

Miniseries

First hailing Conan as a liberator after he annihilated Aquilonia's foes on the battlefield, common folk and politicians alike now rally to unseat the Cimmerian from his stolen throne. Conspirators plot to kill King Conan and take the crown for themselves, but their schemes pale in comparison to a terror waiting quietly in the wings-Thoth-Amon, an enemy who has haunted Conan his whole adult life and whose wicked aspirations dwarf those of maneuvering politicians!

* Conan's greatest foe returns!

* Based on Robert E. Howard's first Conan story.

Creators
Writer: Tim Truman Artist: Tomás Giorello Colorist: José Villarrubia Cover Artist: Gerald Parel
Genre: Action/Adventure
Publication Date: January 25, 2012 Format: FC, 32 pages Price: $3.50 UPC: 7 61568 16031 4 00121

Posted Image

#20 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

Andrew Robinson regular cover

Posted Image