• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

I can't believe this doesn't already have it's own thread. If it does, sorry, I couldn't find it.

I picked this up over the weekend. This isn't a collection of stories. They're more like anecdotes, each averaging about 7 pages long, basically of the same format as can be found in the last 50 or so pages of Volume One. The stories I've read so far are all very short and very forgettable. The artwork is nice, and the stories, mostly by Chuck Dixon, don't descend into Bruce Jones level absurdity. They don't have time to. I've flipped through the book and there are some Roy Thomas penned stories near the end (presumably from when he returned to Marvel), including Exile of Atlantis. Although it might be unfair to prejudge pastiche stories I haven't read yet, I doubt that there is anything on the same level as Demon in the Silver Glass here. If you have short attention span, or your daily routine leaves you with only 5 minutes of free time at infrequent intervals, then this book is ideal for you.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#2 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

I picked up both the Savage Sword of Kull books as well, but I probably won't read them until I'm done with all this Conan stuff. It's my understanding that SSoK #2 completes the collection. Is that correct?

And, not that I think I'll get it, but does anybody know if Savage Sword of Red Sonja is complete in the one vol.?