6 replies to this topic

#1 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

My review has been posted for Kull: The Cat and the Skull #2.

Check it out!

http://www.comicsbul...cat-and-skull-2

#2 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

I agree pretty much with everything you said there, Zack. The interesting thing is I pulled out my Kull Del Rey to see how much of the original story this issue covered: a whopping TWO pages, from "So Saremes the talking cat..." to "...never asked Kuthulos to unveil". The problem with doing so little of the original is the next two issues have to cover around 20 pages, which is usually enough for three issues. They tried to pull a little exposition forward to here, just wonder what's going to get skimmed over next time out.

Over on another thread, and elsewhere on the board for that matter, I mentioned the problems of doing pastiche over Howard. This issue showed a good way of doing it. Most of it deals with the plot points DH have added on (and point to a possible Riders Beyond the Sunrise adaptation next, but that aside), and it was handled in such a way that it all felt like it was part of the original. The fight with the snake men still felt tacked on, but at least it follows from the overall story. But from the way things are going with the current team, it looks like the Kull series will be back on fairly solid footing at the end of the mini.

#3 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Check it out!

A well-written review, Zack. B) I haven't read any of the DHC Kull stuff since the disastrous first mini. Your review gives me a quantum of hope for the future. Arvid & Co. really tainted the well.

Edited by deuce, 12 November 2011 - 09:52 PM.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#4 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

I agree pretty much with everything you said there, Zack. The interesting thing is I pulled out my Kull Del Rey to see how much of the original story this issue covered: a whopping TWO pages, from "So Saremes the talking cat..." to "...never asked Kuthulos to unveil". The problem with doing so little of the original is the next two issues have to cover around 20 pages, which is usually enough for three issues. They tried to pull a little exposition forward to here, just wonder what's going to get skimmed over next time out.

Over on another thread, and elsewhere on the board for that matter, I mentioned the problems of doing pastiche over Howard. This issue showed a good way of doing it. Most of it deals with the plot points DH have added on (and point to a possible Riders Beyond the Sunrise adaptation next, but that aside), and it was handled in such a way that it all felt like it was part of the original. The fight with the snake men still felt tacked on, but at least it follows from the overall story. But from the way things are going with the current team, it looks like the Kull series will be back on fairly solid footing at the end of the mini.

I'm really doubtful that Lapham has the Howardian wherewithal to pull off a completion of the Stagus Fragment. That piece is problematic from both a plot and "lore" standpoint.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#5 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

I'm really doubtful that Lapham has the Howardian wherewithal to pull off a completion of the Stagus Fragment. That piece is problematic from both a plot and "lore" standpoint.

It's definitely a tough nut to crack. There's just so much talk of Zarfhaana, I figure it has to lead to that story sooner than later. Then again, they started laying the groundwork for By This Axe back in the very first issue of Shadow Kingdom, so payoffs are necessarily immediate in this series.

#6 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

Check it out!

A well-written review, Zack. B) I haven't read any of the DHC Kull stuff since the disastrous first mini. Your review gives me a quantum of hope for the future. Arvid & Co. really tainted the well.

And some of that taint is still there. It kept me away from getting Hate Witch until recently, especially since it was straight pastiche. I'm liking the current series better than Shadow Kingdom, but maybe in part because I'm not shaking my head at Brule/Igraine/Snake Men any more, I've just grudgingly accepted it.

The odd thing is Arvid is doing really enjoyable work with Dynamite's Warlord of Mars line and I'm looking forward to his Tarzan series next month. He admitted he didn't know much about Burroughs before taking the assignments, but it's been relatively faithful, both to the books and in spirit. If you had told me that when I put down SK #6, you couldn't have convinced me. Whether ot not Lapham has the chops to pull off a good Stagus or Black City completion is an open question. But he's doing an OK job so far.

#7 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:23 AM

Glad you liked the review! I went back and re-read The Cat and The Skull as well. The Del Rey book had some interesting commentary on that story ... How Thulsa Doom was tacked on at the last minute and wasn't really intended to be the villian.

I think this series is a really strong pastiche/adaptation mix though. It's not perfect. But it is good.

It will be interesting to see how the they deal with the underwater adventure starting next issue.