4 replies to this topic

#1 EJA

EJA

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

We all know that Kane had a number of adventures on the African continent. The African portion of Red Shadows (probably Kane's earliest trip to the Dark Continent) occurs somewhere along the Slave Coast, if I remember right, with The Hills of the Dead being not too far away (though I can't be sure). But whereabouts in Africa do The Moon of Skulls, The Return of Sir Richard Grenville, Hawk of Basti, The Children of Asshur, Wings in the Night and The Footfalls Within take place? I recall that Footfalls Within occurs somehow along Africa's eastern coast, so probably Kenya or Tanzania, or thereabouts.

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

We all know that Kane had a number of adventures on the African continent. The African portion of Red Shadows (probably Kane's earliest trip to the Dark Continent) occurs somewhere along the Slave Coast, if I remember right, with The Hills of the Dead being not too far away (though I can't be sure). But whereabouts in Africa do The Moon of Skulls, The Return of Sir Richard Grenville, Hawk of Basti, The Children of Asshur, Wings in the Night and The Footfalls Within take place? I recall that Footfalls Within occurs somehow along Africa's eastern coast, so probably Kenya or Tanzania, or thereabouts.

Whatever you do, don't read my annotations for The Moon of Skulls ( http://www.conan.com...topic=4837&st=0 ). ;) Negari is very likely situated in the Mitumba hills west of Lake Tanganyika.

As for the rest, Tim Kirk wrought a very interesting map of SK's Africa for the Bantam volumes.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 EJA

EJA

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

Got any scans of Kirk's map??

#4 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

Got any scans of Kirk's map??

No. I don't have a working scanner at the moment. You could probably use "Google Images" to find it.

In addition, while the map looks great, I'm not sure Mr. Kirk (one of my favorite fantasy cartographers) really did the research to make the map "definitive" in any way. Your best bet would be to annotate all the African tales and draw conclusions therefrom like I did with "Moon".

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#5 BluSponge

BluSponge

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

I didn't have any luck with Google Images. If anyone finds a copy, please post a link. Even if not entirely accurate, it would be good to look at from an archivist point of view.

Tom